Did you miss an issue of the Yourist Studio Gallery newsletter
? Or do you want to revisit an issue? You'll find all of the back issues of our newsletter and mailings here. The archived issues contain all the content of the originals so you can reread that helpful tip or refresh your memory about one of the potters to know that we've featured. You'll find useful and interesting information in all of these back issues. Back to Yourist Studio Gallery home page
- September 2016 News and Events
- Classes resume at the studio. Do you have potential as a potter? Busting dust in the studio. Full studio and event calendars. Video: clay memory tip. Video: pit firing. An under-the-radar ceramics collector. Fall Pantone color palette unveiled. Using your head in the studio.
- July/August 2016 News and Events
- Summer studio hours announced. Fall classes now open for enrollment, with discount for early registrants. Studio cleanup party scheduled. Yourist Studio Gallery at Art Fair and other clay community events. Videos: John Britt on dealing with drips, Simon Leach on decorating bowls with hakeme slip, and a cat tries wheel throwing.
- June 2016 News and Events
- Summer classes start soon. What's new in our galleries. Sis Warner and her scholarship. Summer intern sought. Studio schedule. Video: making glaze test tiles. Upcoming events in the clay community. Video: well-joined seams on hand-built pottery. Red faces at Antiques Road Show.
- May 2016 News and Events
- Spring pottery sale at the gallery, May 14 and 15. New in our online Gallery Shop. Ceramics for a cause: Pots for Pups. Kids' Clay Class in June. Summer classes on the studio calendar. John Britt tip for reglazing pots. Events in the ceramics community. Making Anasazi pottery. Jamming to a pottery rap.
- April 2016 News and Events
- Find out what's new in our Gallery Shop. Get details on our Early Bird Enrollment Discount for upcoming spring classes. Check out events on the clay community calendar. Learn from Bill van Gilder how to make stiff clay workable. See Chandra DeBuse form spoons with a plywood drop mold. And for fun, watch a frisky kitten attack its arch foe -- a porcelain cat.
- March 2016 News and Events
- Take a class and get your hands in clay. Learn how to save frozen glaze. Plan to attend these upcoming ceramics events. Listen to two distinguished potters talk about the art of making cups. Meet a ceramic artist who is saving coral reefs with her work.
- February 2016 News and Events
- Book an early spring class now! Trimmed a hole in the bottom of your pot? This video from Simon Leach can help you save it. What's on the studio calendar? And what's happening in the clay community? 1,000-year-old clay figurine disappears. Watch MayBaby take her first pottery class.
- December 2015 - January 2016 News
- See you at our Annual Holiday Sale, starting December 11. Winter-term classes open for registration. Learning to listen to your clay. Clay community digest. Michigan Daily profiles Ann Arbor potter J.T. Abernathy. A potter's obsession with porcelain. Videos: getting spectacular glaze layering effects.
- November 2015 News and Events
- Annual Holiday Sale opens December 11. Alex Pratt to teach winter Advanced & Intermediate Clay class. John Britt video on polishing pot bottoms. Clay community digest. See how to rev up your brushwork.
- October 2015 News and Events
- Early Bird Enrollment discount announced. On display in the gallery. Upcoming Sunday classes. Video: Making a thick slip for trailing. Bonus video: Slip work by Steven Hill. Clay community digest. Video: Water etching clay with Mod PodgeŽ.
- September 2015 News and Events
- Fall classes start soon. Register now. Beads, Pendants, and Buttons class back. Field trip to RnR "Die Cutting and Clay" workshop with Kip O'Krongly. Respirators and masks for potters. Clay community digest. Making terra sig with Kip O'Krongly.
- July/August 2015 News and Events
- Fall classes open for enrollment. Yourist Studio Gallery summer schedule. Visit us at Art Fair 2015. We take second spot in Detroit's A-List poll. Videos: making one- and two-part plaster molds. Get in the know with Clay community digest.
- June 2015 News and Events
- Signup for summer classes under way. Make Yourist Studio Gallery no. 1 in Detroit A-List poll. What's new in the Beads, Buttons, and Pendants class? An alternative method for wedging clay. Empty Bowl Sale and Art Fair on the horizon. Throwing Japanese style.
- May 2015 News and Events
- Drink (c)UP! exhibit open. Time to register for summer classes. RnR Ceramics presents Kip O'Krongly on surface design. Cutting multiple tiles. Community digest. The birth of a Raku tea bowl.
- April 2015 News and Events
- Time to sign up for spring classes. Drink (c)up! show and sale opens Saturday, April 25. Artists' reception on Friday, May 1 from 5 to 8 pm. Jen Allen a hit at 3 Days of Clay. Trim without fear. What's kintsugi?
- March 2015 News and Events
- Visit our new online Gallery Shop, register for early spring classes, watch Nancy Bulkley throw with her feet, find out how to fix settled glazes, turn a thrown pot into a cat or a frog or ? (you choose), learn how to produce a crackle surface on a pot.
- February 2015 News and Events
- Bead, Button, and Pendant class returns for spring, Yourist teacher talks about exhibiting at The American Made Show, tip for smoothing rims of hand-built cups, video of John Britt throwing a miniature teapot, and who was Theophilus Brouwer.
- January 2015 News and Events
- 2014 was a banner year for Yourist Studio Gallery. We had our best holiday sale ever, with photo collage. It's time to sign up for winter classes. Tip: removing wax resist from bisque ware. Video: screen printing and "floofing" on clay.
- December 2014 News and Events
- Yourist Studio Gallery announces holiday hours. Watch C Frost's interview on Fox 2 Detroit. See sculptor Alexandra Engelfriet throw herself into her work. Learn how to make an elephant ice cream bowl in a bonus holiday video.
- 2014 Holiday Sale Invitation
- The Yourist Studio Gallery Holiday Sale: Fri, Dec 12, 5-9 pm, preview sale and artists' reception; Sat, Dec 13, 10 am-6 pm; Sun, Dec 14, 10 am-4 pm.
- November 2014 News and Events
- Annual holiday sale set for December 12-14. Tool time topic: The A to Z of making plates. Registration open for 3 Days of Clay. How to overcome the fear of terra sigillata. Free kiln seeks good home.
- October 2014 News and Events
- Yourist Studio Gallery profiled in The Michigan Daily. With video! Listing of upcoming studio events. Video: Jim Robison creates a layered bowl. Tip for dual-use ceramic ware. Pottery is for lovers.
- September 2014 News and Events
- Fall classes start soon. Yourist Studio Gallery announces fall pottery sale on October 3-5. Make beaded gift for everyone in our Beads, Buttons, and Pendants class. News about other studio events. Video clip of Jeff Blandford workshop.
- August Hours, Fall Classes Reminder, August 2014
- Studio and Gallery hours for August and the beginning of September. Reminder and link to register for fall classes.
- July/August 2014 Studio News and Events
- Yourist Studio Gallery summer schedule. Yourist student Matthew Krivan chosen for Kids' Art Fair. Darcy Bowden to exhibit at FOUND Gallery. Meet Yourist teacher Melinda Mercer. View potter Christine Nofchissey McHorse's art of dark and light.
- June 2014 Studio News and Events
- Check out upcoming classes and our coupon for new students. Get a slip trailing hint from Brigitte Lang. Learn to throw BIG with Jeff Blandford. Meet mud architect William Daley. Watch a pottery catastrophe in a PBS documentary outtake.
- May 2014 Studio News and Events
- Brigitte Lang demonstrates slip trailing, Sunday, May 18, 4:30 pm at the studio! Week-long Kids' Clay Morning open for enrollment. Video tips for jazzing up the shape of bowls, Videos of clay artists challenging their material.
- April 2014 Studio News and Events
- Celebrate spring with a clay class or two. Take a field trip to 3 Days of Clay in Jackson, Get some tips for better glazing. Watch the Cruz Sosa family practice traditional rock and paddle building. View an astoundingly hypnotic video by potter Mikhail Sadovnikov.
- March 2014 Studio News and Events
- Take our surveys and help us set our future direction. Spring/Summer Advanced and Intermediate Clay class registration now open. Make a good impression with roller stamps. Fermenting food in ceramic crocks.
- February 2014 Studio News and Events
- How teachers at the studio come up with ideas for their work. Learn to make wearable jewelry in our beads and buttons class. Video tip for hand building with thin slabs. How a curator at the Met came to love a porcelain elephant vase.
- January 2014 Studio News and Events
- Make more art! 3 Days of Clay approaching. Video tips for precise pot trimming. Adelaide Robineau's 1000 hour vase. A video visit to Jingdezhen, the porcelain capital of China.
- December 2013 Studio News and Events
- Lots of Holiday Sale gift ideas. Time to sign up for winter classes at the studio. Holiday hours for the studio and gallery. Tip for incising clean designs on pots. Video of Mata Ortiz potter at work.
- November 2013 Studio News and Events
- Annual Holiday Sale set for December 13-15. "Sumptuous Table" exhibit continues until December 8. Tips for making people friendly pieces. Making a seed capsule from pinch pots. A musical potter's lament.
- October 2013 Studio News and Events
- New exhibit of dinnerware, "Sumptuous Table," starts October 18. First "Tool time with Kay" demonstration set for October 20. Also see how to rescue a flopped pot, how to throw a pumpkin, and a baby potter in the making.
- September 2013 Studio News and Events
- Thom Bohnert exhibit now open. Two new classes on tap for fall. Meet new instructor Shannon Nelson. How to soften hard clay. Assembling a terracotta army.
- Thom Bohnert Exhibit and Artist Reception
- Exhibit of Thom Bohnert's drawings and sculpture opens August 27 and runs through October 4. Artist reception on Friday, September 13, from 5 to 8 pm
- August 2013 Studio News and Events
- New offerings join old favorites on the fall class schedule. Thom Bohnert exhibit opens August 26. What's wabi sabi? See how to make an Onggi pot.
- July 2013 Studio News and Events
- Meet Rose E. Gomez, Yourist Studio Gallery Resident Artist. Find us at Art Fair and visit our new gallery exhibit, "Hot Stuff!," too.
- June 2013 Studio News and Events
- Summer classes start in June. Like our new Facebook page. Kay's favorite pottery tool. Video showing how clay udu drums are made.
- Gallery Grand Opening
- You're invited to the grand opening of our reinvented gallery on Friday, May 10, from 5 to 8pm. Come see what our Community Studio Resident Artists have been doing.
- May 2013 Studio News and Events
- Grand opening for our reinvented gallery on May 10. New works by Community Studio Resident Artists on display from May 1 to June 14.
- FIA Workshop
- Kay Yourist presents Oval Vessel with Fitted Lid Workshop at Flint Institute of Arts on Saturday, May 4, 2013, from 12 pm to 3 pm.
- April 2013 Studio News and Events
- Advanced Spring/Summer Project Class scheduled. Experience a field trip to the 3 Days of Clay Workshop in Jackson. Get a tip on freeing stuck pot lids.
- March 2013 Studio News and Events
- New Coffee & Clay section added to studio class schedule. Take a field trip to University of Michigan Museum of Art for a Chinese folk pottery display.
- February 2013 Studio News and Events
- Get acquainted with studio star Darcy Bowden. See the schedule for the second set of Winter 2013 classes. Disturbed by dry hands? Learn how Kay copes.
- January 2013 Studio News and Events
- Resolve to make 2013 great with a class or two. Get a great tip on spray glazing and find out why working at the wheel is called throwing.
- Happy holidays from Yourist Studio Gallery
- Thank you all for a great 2012! Our community of friends, patrons, students, and artists rocks.
- 2012 Holiday Sale Reminder
- Available: some of the best ceramics from the local artists who made them
- 2012 Studio Holiday Sale Invitation
- Join us. It only happens once a year!
- November 2012 Studio News and Events
- Learn how to monitor the gas kiln as a volunteer. Read how to repair a crack in a bisqued pot. And find out just what sgraffito is.
- October 2012 Studio News and Events
- Find out why the Saturday morning Coffee and Clay class is so special. And meet Dave, a memorable potter, poet, and slave.
- August-September 2012 Studio News and Events
- Don't miss Kay's tip on the best way to dry bowls in preparation for bisque firing and make the acquaintance of Frans Wildenhain, a potter to know.
- Yourist Studio Gallery at the 2012 Art Fair
- Don't miss our booth on South University.
- June-July 2012 Studio News and Events
- What's new? Youth clay camps, fabulous Xiem tools in stock, and First Sunday film showings about noted pueblo potters Maria Martinez and Lucy M. Lewis
- Clay Top Spin-Off Invitation
- A nail-biting competition among clay top makers.
- May 2012 Studio News and Events
- Make a happy Mother's Day with clay, plus how to keep it clean at the studio.
- Clay Top Workshop Invitation
- Make a clay top or two at the studio and play with your clay.
- April 2012 News and Events
- Find out the top 10 reasons for getting your hands in clay and learn a bunch about clay tops and top spinning.
- March 2012 Studio News and Events
- "Just Desserts" exhibit opens. Yum! Meet potter and studio instructor Sarah Gelsanliter. How long ago were people making pottery?
- February 2012 Studio News and Events
- Meet potter and studio instructor Inge Merlin and see a photo of one of her spectacular wall murals.
- January 2012 Studio News and Events
- Classes, classes, classes at Yourist Studio Gallery - a sure cure for winter cabin fever.
- 2011 Studio Holiday Sale Invitation
- Find wonderful gifts of ceramics for the holidays.