|US Route 89 Appreciation Society
Email Newsletter Archive
|Welcome to the newsletter archive for the US Route 89 Appreciation Society, Along 89. Use the links below to view past issues with interesting stories and sightseeing tips for your road trip on highway 89.
Route 89 Appreciation Society is part of nature photographer James
Cowlin's project to document the people and places along this unique
highway. General membership is only $5. For more information and to sign up, visit the US Route 89 website.
- Issue 65-Painting Water
- Barbara Kemp Cowlin's exhibit of her paintings of water at the Rancho Linda Vista Gallery in Oracle, AZ.
- Issue 64-Holiday Greetings
- Issue 63-2015 Calendar
- The 2015 US Route 89 calendar featuring photographs by James Cowlin is now available.
- Issue 62-Digital Photography Workshops
- Fundamentals of Digital Photography is a series of workshops to be taught by James Cowlin in Oracle, Arizona.
- Issue 61-Guided Tour Update
- Last call for the Grand Canyon, Zion and Bryce Canyon bus tour.
- Issue 60-Guided Tour
- Announcing a guided bus tour of the north rim of the Grand Canyon, Zion and Bryce Canyon National Parks.
- Issue 59-Getting to Page on US 89T
- For a direct connection to Page from Flagstaff that bypasses the closed section of US 89, the Arizona Department of Transportation has paved a temporary road between The Gap and Page.
- Issue 58-James Cowlin Photography Exhibit
- Rockscapes to Cloudscapes...and a few moments along the wayan exhibit of photographs by James Cowlin at Rancho Linda Vista Gallery in Oracle, AZ.
- Issue 57-Road Trip Map Book Revised
- The US Route 89 Road Trip Map Book is now available in an update edition for 2014.
- Issue 56-Yarnell Rising
- Yarnell, Arizona, is recovering from a devastating fire that nearly consumed the town. Recovery efforts are underway and you can help.
- Issue 55-New Spain
- Spanish explorers and missionaries traveled into present-day Arizona along the Santa Cruz River, the location of historic highway 89. Visit the historic sites to learn more about our Spanish heritage.
- Issue 54-Summer 2013 Events
- A listing with links for further information of a few of the events for you to enjoy on your summer road trip on US Route 89.
- Issue 53-The Big Slump-US 89 Closed in Northern Arizona
- US Route 89 is closed between Bitter Springs and Page, Arizona. Learn how an ancient land slump reactivated and slid the road down the slope of the Echo Cliffs.
- Issue 52-Reviving a Heritage Grain
- White Sonora White was brought to the New World in 1640 and was widely grown into the 20th century. Read about why and how it is being revived.
- Issue 51-My Favorite Bloggers
- Ten bloggers I read and enjoy on subjects ranging from travel to geology to just plain fum.
- Issue 50-One-way RV Rental
- A guide to the ins and outs of renting an RV for a one-way road trip on US Route 89
- Issue 49-Our Christmas Tree Story
- A city-dwellers guide to finding and cutting a Christmas tree in the country
- Issue 48-2013 Calendar
- Order the 2013 Calendar-Landscape Photography of the American West by James Cowlin
- Issue 47-The State of the Society
- Report on the activities of the US Route 89 Appreciation Society and funding for the future
- Issue 46-The Ideal Road Trip
- What are the qualities that make a road trip memorable?
- Issue 45-Red Ants Pants Music Festival
- The Red Ants Pants Music Festival will raise funds to support workshops on ranching skills and grants to enrich and promote rural communities.
- Issue 44-Road Trip Planning
- Eight resources for planning a memorable road trip
- Issue 43-Our Blog & Where's 89 in Arizona
- Update on the US Route 89 blog; How to drive historic US Route 89 in Arizona
- Issue 42-The Slow Road Movement
- US Route 89 and the Slow Road Movement; Improve Your Photography with Craft & Vision E-books
- Issue 41-Arizona's Main Street Centennial Presentation
- Preview video of Arizona's Main Street-Highway 89 presentation for the Centennial
- Issue 40-Holiday Giving Ideas
- A few ideas for supporting the interests of residents and businesses along US 89
- Issue 39-Photography Guide E-book
- Border to Border on US Route 89: A Photographer's Guide to America's Most Scenic Highway
- Issue 38-Speical Attraction
- Special Attractions added to the Road Trip Guides; Outdoor Photographer article; Event and Website of the Week on the blog
- Issue 37-July 4th Celebrations
- A sampling of Independence Day events for 2011 along US Route 89
- Issue 36-US Route 89 Blog and Facebook Page
- US Route 89 Appreciation Society onlinewebsite, blog and Facebook page; unique artist-made book of photographs from spring 2010 road trip
- Issue 35-Fun Things to Do
- Tucson Gem & Mineral Show; Countdown to Arizona Centennial and other events
- Issue 34-Welcome to 2011
- US Route 89 project 2010 highlights and accomplishments
- Issue 33-Website Contributors, Map Book & Clarkdale
- New stories on the the Road Trip Guides by our users; revised Road Trip Map Books; Clarkdale, AZ, newest Appreciation Society member
- Issue 32-Accolades & Updates
- US Route 89 Project included in Best of ASMP 2010; new individual membership categories; YouTube channel
- Issue 31-Artists' Portfolios
- Barbara Kemp Cowlin's show at Willo North Gallery and portfolio on US Route 89 website; portfolios by photographers John Telford and Tom Kiefer
- Issue 30-Spring Road Trip Photographs
- Photographs from the 2010 Spring Road Trip
- Issue 29-Spring Road Trip Update
- Update at the end of the first week of the Spring Road Trip
- Issue 28-Spring Road Trip
- Sponsors of the 2010 Spring Road Trip and information about the US Route 89 blog
- Issue 27-Local First & Heritage Foods on US Route 89
- Resources for the Buy Local First and Heritage Foods movement on US 89 in Arizona and Utah
- Issue 26-2010 Spring Road Trip
- Announcing the Life's So Fine on Route 89 One Month Mexico to Canada and Back Road Trip with information on how to sponsor the trip.
- Issue 25-Arizona Centennial Legacy Project
- US Route 89 project designated as an Arizona Centennial Legacy Project; Prescott Indian Art Market in July; introduction to the National Parks e-book & magazine
- Issue 24-Art Lover's Road Trips
- Follow the art festivals and artist studio tours for a fascinating road trip
- Issue 23-US Route 89 Treasure Boxes
- Treasure Boxes by Barbara Kemp Cowlin featuring road signs seen along US 89
- Issue 22-Road Trip Map Book and Scenic Drives
- Information on ordering the US Route 89 Road Trip Map Book in e-book format and a new page of Scenic Drives on the website
- Issue 21-Montana Road Trip Part 2
- Road trip report with stories about Livingston, Montana, and photographs from Pelican Point on the Missouri River
- Issue 20-Montana Road Trip Part I
- Road trip report with stories about Waterton Lakes National Park in Canada and Choteau, Montana
- Road Trip Announcement: Montana, Wyoming & Utah
- July 29 to August 13, 2009 Road Trip Schedule and Social Media Links
- Issue 19-Northern Arizona Travels & Brew Pubs
- Road trip from Page to Prescott in northern Arizona and microbreweries and brew pubs on US Route 89
- Issue 18-Contributing Stories to the Road Trip Guides
- How to add your stories and photos to the Road Trip Guides on the US Route 89 website
- Issue 17-Defining the Slow Road
- Taking time to enjoy the journey on US Route 89
- Issue 16-Old Town Cottonwood
- Take the slow road to Old Town Cottonwood - Cowgirl Up! exhibition at Desert Caballeros Western Museum
- Issue 15- Remodeled US Route 89 Website
- Changes and updates to the US Route 89 Appreciation Society website
- Issue 14-National Heritage Areas
- Preserving Our Cultures through National Heritage Areas - Mormron Pioneer National Heritage Area
- Issue 13-Salt Lake City
- James Cowlin's Collector Print exhibit in Salt Lake City - traveling with a teardrop trailer and staying at Parrish Place B&B
- Issue 12-Yarnell, Arizona
- Yarnell, Arizona, where the desert breeze meets the mountain air
- Special Report-Phase One Camera System
- Field testing Phase One's medium format camera and digital back
- Issue 11-A Word From The Wife
- US Route 89 Paintings by Barbara Cowlin
- Issue 10-A Wilderness Adventure
- Hiking the Paria River Wilderness from southern Utah to Lee's Ferry, Arizona
- Issue 9-Pictures of the Year 2007
- Portfolio of James Cowlin's Best Photographs Taken in 2007
- Issue 8-Baby Dinosaurs
- A Tale of Dinosaur Bones Lost and Found - Two Medicine Dinosaur Center in Bynum, Montana
- Issue 7-The Verde River
- Sights to see on the Verde River - On A Personal Note-Moving to Ajo, Arizona
- Issue 6-Crossing the Colorado
- Navajo Bridge - Heber Jesse Meeks and the Dedication of Navajo Bridge
- Issue 5-Holiday Shopping on Highway 89
- Shopping at the Grand Canyon, Flagstaff, Jerome, Prescott and Wickenburg - Lasting Light Book & Print Collector's Special Edition
- Issue 4-Addicted to Interstate Highways
- Curing Your Interstate Highway Addiction - Going for the Gold in Stanton, Arizona - In Celebration of Junk
- Issue 3-Getting to Prescott
- Highway Development in the Early 20th Century - The Hassayampa Inn
- Issue 2-How To Photograph The Grand Canyon
- Excepts from Lasting Light-125 Years of Grand Canyon Photography - Getting to the Grand Canyon from US Route 89
- Issue 1-Go Take A Walk
- A Self-Guided Walking Tour of Wickenburg, Arizona - The Story of Elizabeth Hudson Smith and the Vernetta Hotel
US Route 89 Appreciation Society
952 W. Linda Vista Rd.
Oracle, Arizona 85623