|Balancing Tips Newsletter E-mail Archives Homepage|
Pat Snyder's "Balancing Tips" is a monthly newsletter that features tips and resources for managing the overbooked life with humor and inspiration. Coupled with Pat's website
, "Balancing Tips" is a smile-bringer for anyone who'd like to convert an oversized to-do list into a more rewarding to-be list.
- Fall 2015
- A recharging strategy for fall, a review of Brene Brown's new book "Rise Strong," and the power of being an ambivert
- Summer 2015
- The power of introversion, a review of Tom Rath's book "Are You Fully Charged?" and saluting at least two minutes of exercise an hour
- Spring 2015
- Budgeting your time by the numbers, a summary of the Sandberg/Grant columns on women at work, and mastering new habits
- Winter 2015
- Self-reflection tool, how to stop ruminating, a different view of grateful, and the lowdown on comfort food
- October 2014
- 3 questions that will bring you to joy, slow art, MSRS at your desk, and Just Tile It
- September 2014
- Achievement addiction, embracing social stress, ending rumination
- June 2014
- Summer doldrums at work, mini getaways, and recovering from "I Hate Work" syndrome
- April-May 2014
- On negative bucket lists, enhancing creativity through music, and overcoming pessimism through anticipatory savoring
- March 2014
- Paying attention through focusing, certain types of meditation, and a primer on defeating materialism.
- February 2014
- Overcoming Winter blahs via mood lifters, food and drink, and using "multipliers" to move us forward on several fronts
- January 2014
- Linking procrastination and mood, performing five-minute favors, using empathy instead of sympathy, and making and breaking habits
- November-December 2013
- Banishing Wonder Woman, making high quality connections, performing random acts of kindness, and transforming paranoia to pronoia.
- October 2013
- Introducing the new book "Eat More Sleep," along with practical tips from sleep researchers and a quick video from Charles Duhigg on breaking bad habits.
- Aug-Sept 2013
- Back to school with positive education, judging trustworthiness, and tips for meditators.
- July 2013
- On budgeting your willpower, building immunity with other-focused pleasures, the book "Profit From the Positive," and being "more dog."
- June 2013
- On Grit and failure, what to do if you're sidetracked, and filling a gratitude bucket
- April/May 2013
- Finding fulfilling work, making money work for your happiness, compassion through meditation,
- March 2013
- Clearing out your "chametz," Adam Grant's new book on generosity, iPhone as de-stresser, and humanity-wrecker
- February 2013
- Unplugging on MoodOff Day, making more time with awe, bite-size essays in Chris Peterson's new book on the good life, and an extraordinary lawyer tale
- January 2013
- Shifting gears between work and home, love as micro-moments of positive resonance, the power of self-compassion in romance, and a mini-review of Rick Hanson's "Just One Thing"
- December 2012
- What's your theme for 2013, and how to set effective goals. Plus a New Year's inspiration: the gratitude jar.
- November 2012
- Offering positive psychology exercises to help you become Grinch-resistant: counting kindnesses, savoring, and stopping rumination. Plus: the gratitude dance!
- October 2012
- Some gratitude exercises in honor of the late Chris Peterson. Exemplars to study, surfing as risk-taking. And oh, how to know if that power outage food is still good.
- September 2012
- Sources for all-good news, an app to customize self-care, and inspiration to sing your way to well-being and make "experience" gifts.
- August 2012
- Gratitude and kindness drive lawyer success in Pat's study, a book called Abundance shows an abundance of techno-optimism, read about a "love competition," and share your own stories of heart strengths use.
- July 2012 Balancing Tips
- What's hot this month are helpful habits, gratitude, and a free web-based service that will help you stick to your goals.
- June 2012 Balancing Tips
- Be an exuberant animal with natural exercise, try an app that lets you travel and exercise without leaving home, break down tasks the Kaizen way, plus a sweet tale of generosity
- May 2012 Balancinga Act
- Take a positive psychology quiz, learn how creativity works, stave off dementia, and make a gratitude call
- April 2012 Balancinga Act
- Cure your energy crisis with high-quality connections, free online learning, becoming a futurist and practicing compassion.
- March 2012 Balancing Act
- How to gain bouncebackability, read other people, and figure out if you're a likely entrepreneur
- February 2012 Balancing Act
- Hear the happiness rap, jazz/improv your way to group flow, let VIAMe! take you to the movies.
- January 2012 Balancing Tips
- Send a self-compassion letter, make your office a gym, use a new, improved to-do list, and STOP junk mail for good.
- December 2011 Balancing Tips
- Inventory your time, stuff, relationships. play the Morning Question Game, examine your moral values
- November 2011 Balancing Tips
- 10,000 steps to better health, more positive mood, six powerful words that tell your story/purpose, and some holiday alternatives to help simplify your life
- October 2011 Balancing Tips
- Learn how an Aristotelian friend can heighten your motivation and how you can measure your grit. Not to mention a big question: Are you getting enough sleep?
- September 2011 Balancing Tips
- Pat's provides her first "from the classroom" report from the Master of Applied Positive Psychology program at Penn. Try some positive interventions, positive introductions and...learn why you should eat dessert last
- August 2011 Balancing Tips
- See where you stand on the Hassle Scale, try a loving kindness meditation, and be moved by the power of human communication
- July 2011 Balancing Tips
- Some tips on being the boss of your own choices and attitudes, and testing whether your mindset sets you up for success.
- June 2011 Balancing Tips
- Pat headed to U Penn for Master of Applied Positive Psychology Program. Plus: How self-compassionate are you? What's your sentence? And taming your gremlin.
- May 2011 Balancing Tips
- Are you a satisficer or a maximizer? See whether agonizing over too many choices is slowing you down. Learn about job crafting and some powerful questions to ask about your work.
- April 2011 Balancing Tips
- Are you flourishing? Learn about PERMA, the five pillars of well-being. Also, some humor nuggets from a therapeutic humor conference and insights on using humor to enjoy positive aging.
- March 2011 Balancing Tips
- Too many passions to pick just one? There's help for using them to the max. Also, the way you look at your work - job, career or calling - makes a difference. And a refresher on the old 80-20 Rule.
- February 2011 Balancing Tips
- How's your flow? What kinds of activities make time stop for you? And what stories are you telling yourself, especially about aging. Plus a light moment about the electronics that seem to rule our lives
- January 2011 Balancing Tips
- What's your positivity ratio? Pat tells you where to calculate yours and why it's important. Also, some tips for salvaging those New Year's resolutions, and a little fun with a dog named Maggie.
- December 2010 Balancing Tips
- Pat offers a couple of mindfulness exercises designed to bring you back to the present and promotes the creative power of puzzles.
- November 2010 Balancing Tips
- On assessing happiness, reconciling perfectionism, and surviving the holidays with reader tips.
- October 2010 Balancing Tips
- Announcing a contest winner and otherwise ways to be a winner: finding natural talents, taming life by the numbers, and gaining wisdom from Alice, age 106.
- September 2010 Balancing Tips
- Announcing a "Dog" anniversary contest and exploring the art of asking powerful questions and finding the joy.
- August 2010 Balancing Act
- Achieve balance by following a passion, taking a power nap, taking in the power of silence.
- July 2010 Balancing Act
- Make laughter contagious, write a gratitude journal, learn the art of big deal/no big deal
- June 2010 Balancing Tips
- Let your fingers do the labyrinth-walking, test your happiness/wisdom/gratitude.
- May 2010 Balancing Tips
- Three little questions can help us decide how to spend our time. Praise for Cozi online family calendar and mini-vacations.
- April 2010 Balancing Tips
- Three Ps of time management are introduced: Pecha Kucha, Pomodoro and - what's this? - Procrastination.
- March 2010 Balancing Tips
- Slow down, you move too fast. Looking at the dangers of multitasking, the rewards of seeing time as abundant and the need to laugh at overload.
- February 2010 Balancing Tips
- It's about time - tracking it, planning it, finding more of it.
- January 2010 Balancing Tips
- A salute to giving ourselves gifts in 2010 and offering strategies for creating a more balanced life in the new year.
- December 2009 Balancing Tips
- In celebration of reframing annoyances, taking the stairs, writing those holiday gifts and simplifying the holidays.
- November 2009 Balancing Tips
- In favor of simplifying those frantic holidays, managing social media time, and boosting brain power .
- October 2009 Balancing Tips
- In celebration of having more fun during transitions, managing time cleverly, stress-proofing holidays and going to Harvard for free
- September 2009 Balancing Tips
- Life balance calculator, laughing baby break, update on Dog events
- August 2009 Balancing Tips
- Pat teaches lessons from the Dog Launch and the delivery room.
- July 2009 Balancing Tips
- Pat passes along creativity tips.
- June 2009 Balancing Tips
- Pat pays tribute to her husband Bob Snyder, who died in May.
- May 2009 Balancing Tips
- Explores mini-lunch breaks, powerful conversations, questions for getting unstuck, and the futility of catastrophizing.
- April 2009 Balancing Tips
- Features a zoo-ey stress break, creativity exercises, worry wart removers, and bake sale avoidance techniques.
- March 2009 Balancing Tips
- Salutes women taking the leap and loving it in the recession, tips from the Twitter Tutor, networking opportunities, and advice for surviving the flu season
- February 2009 Balancing Tips
- Time management tips, stay-cations, humor and creativity workshop opportunities, and post-holiday poll results
- January 2009 Balancing Tips
- Introducing the newsletter, Pat's web page, and vision board resources
I Can Fly, LLC
2873 Martin Rd. #378
Dublin, Ohio 43017-2094