We produce market reports on Japan's technology and media sectors - download our reports here
Our company's business to make your high-tech business successful in Japan- and working to globalize Japanese businesses.
- Newsletter archive: Japan's technology sectors
- 20130306_Boltzmann (3/5/2013)
- This newsletter summarizes the 5th Ludwig Boltzmann Symposium on Energy, held on February 20, 2013 at the Embassy of Austria in Tokyo.
- 20130118_FTTH (1/18/2013)
- Japan has more fiber to the home (FTTH) broadband subscriptions than all of EU+Iceland+Switzerland+Norway. This newsletter reviews Japan's FTTH broadband market
- 20130101_New_Year (12/31/2012)
- Our New Year Newsletter discusses the key trends for 2013 in Japan's energy, electronics manufacturing and telecoms sectors.
- 20121224_xmas (12/24/2012)
- Our Christmas Newsletter discusses trends of Japan's energy sector, electronics sector, and telecommunications sectors.
- 20121219_gas_vs_electric (12/19/2012)
- Japan's gas companies grow at an annual rate of 4.1% and show steady income, and have developed into serious competitors for Japan's electricity operators, while also cooperating in electricity generation.
This newsletter analyzes Japan's Gas companies
- 20121129_inamori (11/29/2012)
- This newsletter discusses how legendary Kazuo Inamori, founder of DDI (today KDDI) and Kyocera, turned around JAL from bankruptcy to IPO within a little more than 2 years.
- 20121127_LNG (11/26/2012)
- This newsletter shows how the increasing costs of LNG imports in combination with the follow-on effects of the Fukushima nuclear disaster drives Japan's electricity operators into deep losses.
- 20121122_LNG (11/21/2012)
- Japan pays US$ 236 million/day for natural gas. This newsletter analysis Japan's LNG imports, costs and prices.
- 20121119_electricals (11/19/2012)
- Over the last 15 years, the combined annual sales growth of Japan's 8 electrical groups (Hitachi, Panasonic, Sony, Mitsubishi-Electric, Sharp, Toshiba, Fujitsu and NEC) was zero, and their combined annual loss was YEN 50.6 billion/year (= US$ 0.6 billion/year).
This newsletter compares the performance of Japan's 8 electrical groups with Japan's 7 top electronic device manufacturers (Murata, Kyocera, TDK, Alps, Nidec, Nitto and Rohm).
- 20120926_energy (9/25/2012)
- Japan's electricity industry suffers huge losses from nuclear to fossil switch. Analyzing the impact of switching off nuclear power on the financial situation of Japan's electricity operators
- 20120925_Apple_Samsung (9/25/2012)
- Apple vs Samsung - Impact on Japans Industries. Talk at the Foreign Correspondents Club in Tokyo
- 20120920_energy (9/20/2012)
- Two steps forward one step back.... Japan's nuclear or non-nuclear dilemma
- 20120918_energy (9/17/2012)
- Japan's new official national energy strategy - overview: much more than just nuclear exit
- 20120913_energy (9/13/2012)
- Japan's PM Noda hints at new energy policy. Phasing out nuclear power by the 2030s
- 20120907_energy (9/7/2012)
- Japan's energy dilemma - keeping Nuclear power switched off, or restarting nuclear power plants
- 20120905_NHK_Apple_Samsung (9/5/2012)
- NHK interview about the Apple Samsung patent battle
- 20120726_Suica_vs_Oyster (7/25/2012)
- Comparing e-money, prepaid fares, NFC payments in London and Tokyo.
- 20120629_SONY (6/28/2012)
- 20120618 EIJS survey invitation (6/18/2012)
- Survey for participants of the EIJS talk at the Swedish Embassy
- 20120528_EIJS_Galapagos_June 13, 2012 (5/28/2012)
- Talk organized by the Stockholm School of Economics' European Institute for Japanese Studies at the Swedish Embassy in Tokyo about positive and negative aspects of Japan's "Galapagos effect"
- 20120516_Energy_Boltzmann (5/16/2012)
- the 4th Ludwig Boltzmann Symposium on Energy
- 20120326 AIM (3/25/2012)
- London Stock Exchange AIM market dissolves joint-venture with Tokyo Stock Exchange and withdraws from Japan's market
- 20120130_fukushima_disaster_committee (1/29/2012)
- Japan's Parliament sets up an independent commission chaired by Professor Kiyoshi Kurokawa to investigate the Fukushima nuclear disaster
- 17 May 2011 Communications in disasters (5/17/2011)
- Keynote presentation at the 7th Korean Communications Conference in Seoul/COEX, May 12, 2011
- 15 April 2011 The Rebuilding Council (4/15/2011)
- Constituting session of the Tohoku Disaster Area Rebuilding Council
- 13 April 2011: crisis update- radiation in Tokyo (4/13/2011)
- INES ranking of Fukushima accident
Radiation in Tokyo and Tsukuba (13 April 2011)
Drinking water contamination levels in Tokyo
- 28 March 2011: crisis update- radiation in Tokyo (3/28/2011)
- Radiation in Tokyo (28 March 2011)
Drinking water contamination (Iodone and Cesium isotopes)
Impact on economy (BBC and Al Jazeera interviews)
- 24 March 2011: crisis update- radiation in Tokyo (3/24/2011)
- Radiation in Tokyo (24 March 2011)
Impact on business
- 22 March 2011: crisis update- radiation in Tokyo (3/21/2011)
- Radiation in Tokyo (22 March 2011)
- 18 March 2011: crisis update- radiation in Tokyo (3/17/2011)
- Radiation in Tokyo (18 March 2011)
- 28 January 2011: Ekitan and personal navigation services (1/28/2011)
- Personal navigation services for mobile phones in Japan
- 28 January 2011: achieving 3cm resolution with sattelite naviation systems (1/28/2011)
- Japan's advanced location based mobile services, and satellite positioning systems
- 18 January 2011: Japan's Galapagos effect (1/18/2011)
- Article in the Member's journal of the American Chamber of Commerce in Japan about globalizing Japan's telecommunications and contents industries
- 13 January 2011: New Year newsletter (1/13/2011)
- Trends for 2011:
- is there correlation between Smart phones and profitability of mobile operators?
- Number of base stations exploding in Japan
- DoCoMo starts LTE
- 24 December 2010: LTE started in Japan today (12/24/2010)
- DoCoMo started LTE in Japan on December 24, 2010.
- 16 Dec 2011: next generation PHS communications (12/16/2010)
- Willcom and new generation PHS (Wireless City Planning) will be built under the umbrella of Softbank.
- 13 December 2010: mobile phone base stations in Japan (12/13/2010)
- A corrected version of the the previous newsletter about mobile phone base stations
- 13 Dec 2011: mobile phone base stations in Japan (12/13/2010)
- Comparing the number of mobile phone base stations in Japan with UK
- 16 August 2010: Japan's GDP (8/16/2010)
- A comment about Japan's GDP growth.
- 29 July 2010: Yahoo Inc. vs Yahoo KK (7/29/2010)
- YAHOO Japan was in the news when YAHOO switched to GOOGLE's search services. This newsletter compares YAHOO Inc with YAHOO KK (= Yahoo Japan)
- 6 July 2010: ACCJ presentation about the results of the Galapagos effect working group (7/7/2010)
- Presentation at the American Chamber of Commerce
- 11 June 2010 about Japan's Galapagos effect (6/11/2010)
- Globalizing Japan's telecom sector, and content sector
- 13 May 2010: Presentation at the Stockholm School of Economics (5/13/2010)
- Presentation about Japan's Galapagos Effect at the European Institute for Japanese Studies of the Stockholm School of Economics at the Swedish Embassy in Tokyo.
- 10 May 2010: Japan's mobile phone basestation market (5/9/2010)
- Japan has some of the highest mobile base station densities in the world.
- 8 May 2010: iPad in Japan (5/8/2010)
- iPad introduction in Japan
- 23 March 2010: Softbank switches off 2G (3/22/2010)
- Softbank ended 2G mobile services, and switched 100% to 3G.
- 12 January 2010 New Year mail (1/12/2010)
- New Year email 2010
- 17 Dec 2009 Japan's Galapagos effect working group (12/17/2009)
- About Japan's "Galapagos effect"
- 26 Nov 2009 Japan's galapagos working group (11/25/2009)
- About Japan's "Galapagos effect"
- 6 October 2009 QR Codes for mobile phones (10/6/2009)
- 7 years QR codes in Japan
- 16 Oct 2009 American Chamber of Commerce presentation on eMoney (10/16/2009)
- e-Cash in Japan (presentation to the American Chamber of Commerce in Japan ACCJ)