Every other month we will bring you up to date on what's happening at Free Minds and
help you get to know our students, alumni, faculty, and staff. If you are not already part of our Free Minds
community, join our mailing list below! We look forward to your feedback and appreciate your support of Free
- November 2015
- KLRU features Free Minds, and one student is having an epic year.
- September 2015
- President Obama honors the Clemente Course, and we welcome our 2016 class.
- July 2015
- Summer at Free Minds is all about preparation for the upcoming year. Hear how next year's class is shaping up!
- May 2015
- We honor our inspiring Class of 2015--the largest group of graduates in Free Minds history!
- March 2015
- Learn how our youngest Free Minders are stitching, painting, and singing their way toward their own unique community.
- January 2015
- Welcome, Spring Semester, with all of your shiny new books! Plus, we introduce two fantastic members of our community.
- November 2014
- This month we remembered the Alamo in a new way and heard about how a little advice made a big difference for one student.
- September 2014
- A new class embarks on the year, plus a jam-packed fall lineup in store.
- July 2014
- Summer at Free Minds means recruiting next year's class, picnicking with alums, and hearing from one of our most faithful fans.
- May 2014
- We're celebrating our remarkable Class of 2014 as they graduate Free Minds.
- April 2014
- Free Minds writers joined forces for a reading at Malvern Books, and a student-made video tells the story of class community.
- March 2014
- Students dive into the world of field research and members of our community offer favorite reasons to Amplify Free Minds!
- February 2014
- We've got our sights set on college, as alums make strides in education post-Free Minds.
- January 2014
- One student heads to Cambridge and another unlocks new opportunities on the job.
- December 2013
- We celebrate a successful fall semester and look back at the East Austin of yore.
- November 2013
- A Free Minds student brings the word tenacity to life, and the class takes on Othello.
- October 2013
- Introducing the Free Minds writing instructor and a student starting college 27 years after high school.
- September 2013
- We're diving into the philosophy unit and appreciating our new mentors this fall.
- August 2013
- Lots to celebrate at the outset of this academic year: exciting funding news and a dynamic new group of students!
- July 2013
- With a new administrative home and interviews for the Class of 2014 underway, new beginnings are in the air this July.
- June 2013
- This month, we're recruiting a new class and peeking behind the scenes. Join us!
- May 2013
- For the Free Minds Class of 2013, nine months of hard work pays off this May!
- April 2013
- With graduation, a writing workshop, and a new mentorship program ahead, we think April is the sweetest month.
- March 2013
- The semester is coming into bloom with plenty of opportunities to grow with Free Minds.
- February 2013
- A whole host of reasons to love Free Minds!
- January 2013
- This spring, Free Minds explores what it means to be American.
- December 2012
- We share student stories and hear from a Free Minds evangelist this holiday season.
- November 2012
- Election fever comes to Free Minds.
- October 2012
- What do we learn from studying Shakespeare? A double dose of the Bard this month.
- September 2012
- A window into our fall literature unit and a new student's journey to Free Minds.
- August 2012
- We hit the ground running this Fall. Welcome to the Free Minds Class of 2013!
- July 2012
- An Open House, a Summer Writing Workshop, and interviews galore!
- June 2012
- We remember Earl Shorris and pay homage to the bold idea that started it all.
- May 2012
- This month we celebrate the outstanding Free Minds Class of 2012!
- April 2012
- In the home stretch of this year's class, spring renewal comes to Free Minds.
- March 2012
- With all of the bustle that comes with a rigorous academic year, we set aside time to eat together.
- February 2012
- A Valentine's Day master class, an author visit, and a college fair on the horizon.
- January 2012
- How is Free Minds changing lives through the humanities?
- December 2011
- Classes are out, papers are in, sit down and take a moment to catch up with us!
- November 2011
- Meet a student and an alum, and get a sneak preview of the spring semester alumni class.
- October 2011
- A new philosophy class for alumni, community writing workshops, and a double dose of Shakespeare.
- September 2011
- The back-to-school issue! Including insights from one of our new students.
- August 2011
- New students, new faculty, and a new childcare program.
- July 2011
- More grant news, a record-breaking applicant pool, and a tour de UT. Plus: Vive gives the Final Word.
- June 2011
- Big funding news, a last call for applications, and a recent graduate's big plans.
- May 2011
- Congratulations, Free Minds Class of 2011!
- April 2011
- Free Minds brings writing into the community. Plus, a visit from a prize-winning author.
- March 2011
- Read about our college fair, Camp Fire USA, and things that go boom in the night.
- February 2011
- Literary, theatrical, and social events galore! Plus a revealing look at the program's impact.
- January 2011
- Ancient Arabic literature, contemporary American art, and a brand-new writing workshop.
- December 2010
- Staff, students, and an alumna offer thanks for a successful semester and a dream job.
- November 2010
- Meet a student, a former faculty member, and a volunteer and her grill pan.
- October 2010
- Adventures with Shakespeare and a master class with Dr. Domino Perez.
- September 2010
- Read about the new semester, including a reflection from founding director Sylvia Gale.
- August 2010
- A new class, a new space, and new programming for alumni.
- July 2010
- The book issue! Book donations, summer reading, Plato, and more...
- June 2010
- Read about our 2010-11 faculty and our collaboration with Camp Fire USA.
3036 South 1st Street
Austin, Texas 78704