|Montgomery Victory Gardens Update Archives Homepage
- November 21, 2013
- School Food Forum Rocks!; URGENT - One Day Left to Stand Up for Sustainable and Organic Farmers; Better Know a Local Farmer - and Where to Get the Best Winter Squash!; Using Your Low Tunnel This Winter; Backyard Chickens Take Over an MC Zoning Hearing!; Why Does America Refrigerate Its Eggs?
- October 12, 2013
- MoCo's School Food Forum - November 2md!; Two Great New Ways to Promote Urban Farms and Community Gardens; The Fight Over Backyard Chickens in Montgomery County; The Government Shut Down, Hunger and Food Borne Illness; Farming at Metro's Edge Report; What the Hell is FISMA?! Part II; Don't Let Your Fall Crops Rot on the Vine!
- September 12, 2013
- Whole Foods Leads the Way on School Gardens; Low Tunnel Construction Workshops; Are You Unknowingly Poisoning Bees with Neonics?; Drought, Water Shortages, and Where Your Food Comes From; What the Hell is FISMA, and Why Are Small Farmers Freaking Out?; Something Useful to Do With Weeds
- August 9, 2013
- 65th Annual Ag Fair Starts Today!: Yes You CAN Grow School Gardens in the Summer!; Backyard Chickens in Montgomery County?; GMOs, Oranges and Herbicides; Fast Food Workers Stage Walkouts for Fair Wages; Red Wiggler Community Farm Harvest Celebration; Preserving the Bounty of Summer
- July 7, 2013
- Fall and Winter Food Gardening Workshops!; Montgomery County's 24th Annual Farm Tour Days; Montgomery County's New Farmer Pilot Program; Attack of the Zombie Deer!; Could Your Straw Be Toxic?; MCPS School Garden Survey Complete; Community Gardens Sprouting Throughout the Northeast
- June 8, 2013
- Grow It Eat It Open House; Last Container Food Gardening Class of the Season; Brickyard Educational Farm Fundraiser; Mulch Your Garden Now!; Beekeepers Sue EPA Over Continuing Bee Die-Off; Amber Waves of Frankenwheat - Unapproved GMO Crop Invades U.S. Fields; Know the Good Bugs from the Bad Bugs in Your Garden; Michael Pollan Strikes Another Blow for Good Food!
- May 7, 2013
- Kids in the Garden!; School Food in Montgomery County - an Issue That Won't Go Away; The Latest Evidence Against Monsanto's Roundup; Why is a 16-Year Old Doing More Food Research Than Our Government?; Ode to My New Favorite Garden Tool - the Collinear Hoe!; More Food Growing Classes This Month; What a Week of Groceries Looks Like Around the World
- April 14, 2013
- Food Gardening Workshops Galore!; Panera Bread Does a Great Thing; Become a School Garden Champion - Here's How; Monsanto Wins a Big One on GMOs (but the fight ain't over yet!); America's High Fat, High Sugar, High Salt It's-Gonna-Kill-Us-All Diet; Ode to My Winter Spinach Patch; The Question is Not How to Feed the World
- March 14, 2013
- It's Seed Starting Time!!; Veggie Gardening Classes Starting Up; When Should You Start Planting Outdoors?; Huge Victory for Brickyard Educational Farm!; Showing of Documentary "Cafeteria Man," and Welcome Real Food for Kids - Montgomery; Whole Foods Makes a Big Announcement - And GMO Labeling Campaign Gains Momentum; Build Your Own Plastic Bottle Greenhouse
- MVG's 2012 Foodie Book Recommendations!
- November 14, 2012
- Prop 37 - A Temporary Setback in the Drive for GMO Labeling; When to Deploy Your Low Tunnel; Key Burns' "The Dust Bowl"; Choices for Thanksgiving!; Another Step Forward to Save Nick's Organic Farm; Become an MC Master Gardener; Black Gold!
- October 4, 2012
- National Food Day; School Vegetable Gardens are Growing in Montgomery County!; Harvest Festivas for the Whole Family; Local Beer Events!; A Food Justice Victory for Farmworkers; Epic GMO Battle in California; Garlic and Cover Crops - Final Plantings of the Season
- September 4, 2012
- Last Chance to Purchase Fall Veggie Starts; Learn How to Build a Low Tunnel; Governor O'Malley Comes Out for Nick's Organic Farm; Victoire for Food Gardens in Canada; The Insect Villon of the Month - Cabbageworms; California's Epic Battle on GMOs, Locavores Gotta Drink Too - Try a Gin Fizz!
- July 26, 2012
- It's Fall Planting Time!; MC Farm Tour Days This Weekend; Massive U.S. Drought Rivals Dust Bowl Days; Organic Farmers Continue Fight Against Monsanto; Honey Harvest!; Coping with Summer's Garden Bounty; Yes, Even Superheroes Grow Victory Gardens!
- June 30, 2012; the Heat and Storm Edition!
- Powerful Criticism of MC School Food at Community Panel Discussion; Food Gardening and Farming at the Folk Festival!; Garlic Harvesting and Curing; Farm and Food Bil Results in the Senate; Potato Bags - A Great Way to Grow Potatoes this Fall!; Young People's Food Gardening Class; Montgomery County Farm Tour Days
- June 1. 2012
- Food Security in Maryland Panel Discussion and Community Event; Salad Parties in our Elementary Schools!; It's Garlic Scape Season!; Farming in the Sky; MD Becomes First State to Ban Arsenic in Chicken Feed; The National Battle Over GMOs Intensifies; Two Hot Upcoming Classes - Composting and Food Preservation
- April 30, 2012
- Know Your Good Bugs from Your Bad Bugs!; Cold Damage in the Garden - and Premature Flowering; Wendell Berry - Agriculture Saint, Amerian Hero; Agribusiness' Answer to Herbicide-Resistant Superweeds? More and Deadlier Chemicals; No More Pink Slime in Montgomery County Schools; Is Sustainable Meat a Myth?; Farmers Markets Are Open Again - And Here's a New Resource to Find Them
- March 26, 2012
- It's 80 Degrees - Can I Plant My Tomatoes?; Attack of the Flea Beetles; Save Nick's Organic Farm - Important New Developments; Know Your Local Farmer - Twin Springs Fruit Farm; Just Label It Campaign on GE Foods; MVG Food Book Club; Food Gardening Classes Galore!
- Feburary 20, 2012; Seed staring, school lunches, great events and much more!
- It's See Starting Time!; Green Matters Symposium; MVG Food Book Club; Food Gardening Classes in Germantown; USDA FInalizes New, Healthier School Lunch Standards; Organic Farmers Take Monsanto to Court; As Climate Warms, Hardiness Zone Maps are Updated; The Coolest Anti-Factory Farming Ad Ever
- January 12, 2012; Our first update in 2012! So much happening already!
- Seeds, Seeds and More Seeds!; Washington Gardener's 7th Annual Seed Exchange; Support a Community Kitchen in Takoma Park; Join the MVG Food Book Group; Learning Small Scale Farming as a Second Career; Retrospectives on the Food year, 2011; Some Graph Paper. a Notebook and a Buddy
- September 20, 2011
- Recent Storms and the Damage Done; How to Grow a School Garden, the Authors Speak; Talk to the New MCPS Superintendent About School Food; "Queen of the Sun" - New Documentary on Bees Premieres; From Food Gardens to "Agriburbia" - Local Food in the Mainstream Press; Successes in the New Community Gardens!
- August 18, 2011 - It's Fall Planting Time!
- Last Two Days for the County Ag Fair!; It's Fall Gardening Time!; Schools Go Back to Cooking from Scratch; Why Are My Tomatoes Dying?; Stink Bug Update, and a Simple Device to Use; Keeping Farm Animals Cool During the Summer; Three More Great Events This Weekend
- Food Independence Day Edition!
- Celebrate Your Food Independence this July 4th!; National Geographic on the Importance of Seed Saving; Greening Our Sanctuaries; Harvesting, Curing and Storing Garlic; Stink Bug Update; Best Tomato Stakes Ever?; Montgomery County Farm Tour Days
- June 9, 2011 - School Salad Parties and more!
- Public meeting to Save Nick's Organic Farm; School Gardening Video, Part II; School Salad Parties!; Garlic Scape Season is Here; A Man and His Mulch; Composting 101; Missoula Coyote Children's Choir Sings "Grow Your Own Food!"
- Memorial Day Message
- May 6, 2011 - Gardening Classes, Farm Vacations and more!
- Classes, Classes and More Classes!; MVG and GW-IPL Join Forces; Howard County Votes for Bees!; Save Nick's Organic Farm - Volunteers Needed; How About a Farming Vacation?; Why Is Healthy Food for All "Elitist?"
- MVG Special Edition - Welcoming the bees!
- April 15, 2011 - Edible Landscape Guru Roz Creasy Comes to Town!
- Edible Landscape Guru Rosalind Creasy; Save Nick's Organic Farm! An Update [Videos]; Urban Sustainability Action Summit; Garden Educator Training Course; Losing Ground [Video]; Laws Passed to Stop Underground Farm Videos; Cheap Energy=Cheap Food=Loss of Appreciation for Food
- MVG Wins Community Hero Award!
- March 31, 2011 - Planting calendar, gardening classes, and a loomig food crises
- Food Prices at Record High; Is a Global Food Crisis Imminent?; Veggie Planting Calendar for Maryland; Techniques for Extending the Growing Season; Garden Educator Training Course; Want to Support a Montgomery County CSA?; Food: Six Things to Feel Good About
- March 12, 2011 - New Community Gardens/Food Sovereignty in Maine
- MCPS Board of Education Votes to Trash Organic Farm; Two New Community Gardens Open Up - Apply Now!; Maine Town Takes Food Sovereignty Into Its Own Hands; So When Can I Start Planting Already???; Suburban Gardening Program: Container Vegetable Gardening; More Food Safety Tips for Emergencies; Great Food and Farming Films at DC Environmental Film Festival!
- March 3, 2011 -; The Economics of Happiness!
- Sustainable Agriculture and Family Farms Under Assault - Your Calls Still Needed; MCPS Environmental Education Center Threatened by Budget Cuts; Have You Started Your Seeds Indoors Yet?; Suburban Gardener Intensive Vegetable Gardening Class; MVG Brings the Good Food Revolution to Brookside Gardens; Localization is the Economics of Happiness; Join the Great American Meatout!
- Alert - Sustainable Agriculture Under Assault
- February 18, 2011 - We Won! We Won! We Won!
- We Won! We Won! We Won! - School Vegetable Gardens to Be Allowed in MCPS Schools!; A School Garden Checklist; School Garden Bill in the MD State Legislature; Rooting DC Urban Gardening Forum; Green Matters Symposium; What's the Big New Trend Out West? Agriculture School!; Foodies Can Eclipse (and Save) the Environmental Movement
- February 11, 2011 - Working with Youth in the Garden
- "Working With Young People in the Garden;" Rooting DC Urban Gardening Forum; Ensure Food Safety When the Power Goes Out; More on School Gardens and School Food; A GMO Webinar and "Millions Against Monsanto;" Rebel Gardeners Wage Veggie War with Seed Bombs; Timely Gardening Tip of the Month
- February 4, 2011 - Welcome to the new season!
- Working With Young People in the Garden; MCPS Superintendent Search - Tell 'Em What's Important to You!; U.S. Late to the Party on School Lunch Makeovers; Monsanto's GE Alfalfa Gets Green Light; Sign Up for a Community Garden Plot; Beekeeping Classes; Taco Bell's "Beef" Taco Fiasco
- December 19, 2010 - Last Update of 2010!
- Future Harvest Conference; The Greatest School Veggie Garden How To Video Ever!; New Numbers of Food Sickness in America; Food Safety Bill Appears to Be Dying; Virtual Veggies - One Corporation's Lame Attempt; Root Cellars - Isn't It Time You Got One?; Dive! Living Off America's Waste
- MVG Holiday Book Recommendations
- Check out these great locavore/foodie book recommendations from the MVG Advisory Board - wonderful gifts for the holidays!
- December 6, 2010 - Food Safety, Child Nutrition, Seed Catalogs and more
- Food Safety Bill Passes the Senate - But Will It Become Law?; The Child Nutrition Action, on the other hand, Will Become Law; Panel Discussion on Selecting the New MCPS Superintendent; First Lady Pushes School Salad Bars - and MCPS Pushes Back; TP Screening of "Fresh, The Movie;" Have Your Ordered Your Seed Catalogs Yet?; Why Not Grow Your Own Greens This Winter - With Cold Frames!
- November 18, 2010 - Great Thanksgiving Activities!
- Celebrate Thanksgiving with the Turkeys!; Vegetarian Society's Life-Affirming Thanksgiving; Michael Pollan Wants YOU to Make a Call for Food Safety Now; The Mishnah Garden Celebrates Its First Year; We Americans Waste Almost HALF Our Food - Don't Do It This Thanksgiving!; Dueling Food Pyramids; Yes, You Can Teach Kids to Eat Broccoli
- November 5, 2010 - The World's First Organic Rap Video!
- Celebrate Local Agricultural Hero Tony Cohen at Button Farm; Hearing for Silver Spring Community Garden; New Report Faults Farmers' Chesapeake Bay Cleanup Efforts; A Sight for Sore Eyes - And Awards for the MC Master Gardeners!; The White House Garden Weighs In; High Fructose Corn Syrup Is Worse Than You Thought; The World's First Organic Dairy Rap Video!
- October 31, 2010 - Hearings on New Community Gardens This Week
- Public Hearings for New Community Gardens This Week; A Wonderful MVG Benefit this Past Sunday!; More Media on MVG and School Gardens This Week; Think About Growing "Exotics" In Your Food Garden Next Year; Taxpayer Money for a Pro-Pesticide Campaign?; Video Message from Mother Earth - Organic Matters!
- October 20, 2010 - Vote for Food's Public Enemy #1!
- Report on County Council Hearing on School Vegetable Gardens; More Media on Our School Vegetable Garden Campaign; Join Community Service Day Gleaning at Button Farm; Should Food Stamp Recipients Be Allowed to Buy Soda?; Enroll for 2011 Master Gardener Training; Time to Plant That Garlic!; Another Threat to Organic Farming - The Gas Rush; Voter for Food Public Enemy #1!
- October 10, 2010 - Big, Big Events in the Next Two Weeks!
- Undersecretary of Ag to Visit Local Farmers Market; School Vegetable Garden Testimony at County Council - Tuesday, Oct. 12; "The Future of Food and Farming in Montgomery County" - a Benefit for MVG; How About Poison-Free Poultry in Maryland?; Congregational Community Gardens in the News; Making the Most of Your Potato Harvest
- September 30, 2010 - Watch an 11-year old explain the food system
- More Proof that School Gardens Work; County Sues Farmer for Growing "Too Many
Vegetables" [video]; Agricultural History Farm Park Harvest Festival; Fish Farms with a Side of Greens; A Follow Up Thought on Getting Seed Garlic; Watch an 11-Year Old Explain What's Wrong with Our Food System [video]
- September 23, 2010 - Colbert in the Fields!/Child Nutrition Act
- Last Opportunity for a Better School Lunch?; Voter for Your Favorite Maryland Farm to School Video; Agricultural History Farm Park Harvest Festival; Time To Start Thinking About Garlic; Stephen Colbert in the Fields; New York City School Garden Initiative
- September 16, 2010 - It's Alive!
- It's Alive! Reports from the World of Lactofermentation; Canning Classes Come to Strosniders Hardware; Shares Still Available for Local Farm Fall CSA; Food Fights: The Attack on Locavores Continues; Do You Have the B***s to Really Change the Food System?; Zucchini, Eggplant and Mozzarella Sticks! [video]
- School Gardens on the Ballot!
- September 9, 2010 - Cover Crops, Stink Bugs and Peach Coolers
- There's Still Time (and Places) to Buy Your Fall Veggie Starts; Consider a Cover Crop in Your Garden This Fall; Summer Season Ending on a Stinking Note?; Have a Canning Party; D.C. VegFest; Heritage Harvest Festival at Monticello; Cocktails From the Garden (and Farm)
- September 2, 2010 - Want Safe Eggs?/FermFest 2010
- FermFest 2010; Want Some Safe Eggs? [video]; Continuing Coverage of the School Garden Controversy; Red Wiggler's Annual Harvest Supper; Heritage Harvest Festival at Jefferson's Monticello; Another Ridiculous Attack on Locavores; Corn Recipes
- August 19, 2010 - Major Victory Against GE Crops
- A Major Victory Against GE Foods; Final Weekend for the Ag Fair; Board of Education Member Shirley Brandman Discusses School Food - Friday, August 27; Answer to Declining Bee Population Sought in North Dakota Prairie; Eat Fresh Local Food - Doctor's Orders; Meat Industry is Feeling the Heat; Compost 101 for Urban Dwellers [Slide show]
- August 13, 2010 - Come to the Ag Fair!
- Montgomery County Agricultural Fair Starts Today; World Kitchen Garden Day; Teaching Kids About Food at Mt. Calvary Baptist Church; Manna Food Center and growingSOUL on Fox News; Cucumber Yogurt Soup (yum!); Where are the Bees Going? (video); Russian Wildfires Could Spark Global Food Shortage
- August 5, 2010 - National Farmers Market Week
- 2-Methylnaphthawhat?!; Golden Beet and Melon Salad; Summer Camp Teaches Kids About Growing Food; Board of Ed Member Discusses School Food; Blossom End Rot; Farmers Markets on the Rise; New Report: Federal Policies Discourage Farmers From Growing Fruit and Vegetables
- July 29, 2010 - The Storm Edition!
- Time to Get Your Fall Planting Groove On; Community Associations Join Effort to Overturn School Garden Ban; "Garden to Table" Teaches Food Growing to the Disabled; What's Eating Your Garden? Ask the Pet Detective!; Why Are My Tomatoes Cracking?; Whole Foods to Grow Its Own Produce; Agrochemical Producers Give "Environmental Respect" Award
- July 22, 2010 - Farm Tour Days This Weekend
- Beat the Heat on the Farm This Weekend; Superintendent Weast Out - School Gardens In?; More Media on Our School Garden Campaign; Dealing with Hot, Dry Weather in the Garden; Eaters Are Not Enough - It's the Policy, Stupid; See "Dirt, The Movie"; Pesticides are War Chemicals the Kill
- July 8, 2010 - Food Gardening Under Water Restrictions
- Keeping Your Garden Alive When the Water Stops; County Farm Tour Days; Harvesting, Curing and Storing Garlic; Disappearing Zucchini Orzo; Farm to School Moving Through Congress; Stephen Colbert on Farmworkers
- July 1, 2010 - Declare Your Food Independence on July 4th!
- Declare Your Food Independence This July 4th!; Local Girl Scouts Link Gardens to the Homeless; MVG Featured on WTOP News; Unicorn - The Other White Meat?; Stephen Colbert Helps Out Farmworkers; Trading Cards to Promote Locally Grown Food
- June 25, 2010 - MVG is on the TV!
- School Garden Controversy Hits the TV News; MCPS Agrees to Discuss Edible School Gardens; MC Commission on Health Supports Repeal of the Garden Ban; When "Too Late" Can Be Just the Right Time to Plant; Garlic Scape Pesto; When is Local Garden Blogger Not a Local Garden Blogger?;
- June 24, 2010 - MVG on Channel 8 News!
- June 17, 2010 - See a Local Farmer on the Big Screen!
- Local Farmer Hits the Big Screen at SilverDocs!; New Fungal Disease Attacks Basil; DC Gardeners Taking on the Marines; National PTA Advocates School Vegetable Gardens; Insect Pests in the Garden? Give 'em Some Garlic Fire!; UN Urges Shift Toward Vegetarian Diet; One More Great Way to Use Mint; Need a Laugh? Check out "The BP Coffee Spill"
- June 10, 2010
- A Chesapeake Urban Farming Summit; Update on our Campaign for School Vegetable Gardens; Even More on the Benefits of School Vegetable Gardens!; How To Prune and Stake Tomatoes; "Dirty Dozen" Produce Carries More Pesticides; Visit Maryland's Largest Organic Vegetable Farm
- June 4, 2010 - School Garden Lovers Unite
- An update on the MVG campaign to lift the Montgomery County Public Schools Ban on Vegetable Gardens
- June 3, 2010 - County Groups Challenge School Vegetable Garden Ban
- Read the press release here
- Mary 27, 2010 - Happy Memorial Day Weekend!
- Can Bacteria in the Garden Make Your Smarter?; Millions Against Monsanto; Don't Curse Your Mint - Use It!; Was the Latest E. coli Outbreak in Lettuce Caused by Factory Farmed Cattle?; Protesting French Farmers Turn Champs-Elysees Into Huge Farm
- May 20, 2010
- Add Your Organization to the MC School Garden Letter; Sandy Spring School Among Greenest on Planet; Area Fifth Graders Dazzle on Farm to School Issues; Late Blight Watch in Maryland; Corporate Vegetable Gardens are Growing; New Study: Vegetarian Diet Rapidly Reduces Toxins
- May 13, 2010 - See Urban Ag Superstar Will Allen!
- Urban Ag Superstar Will Allen Comes to Town!; Manna Food Center Begins Composting; Farmers Confronted by Roundup Resistant Superweeds; Straw Bale Vegetable Gardening; Michelle Obama Tackles Childhood Obesity; Agrarians Make Time Magazine's "100 Most Influential People" List
- May 6, 2010 - More Great Events!
- Hear Indian Sustainable Ag Revolutionary Revathi; Fighting the Battle of the Bugs; MC Farms, Community Gardens and MVG in the News!; "The New American Food Revolution;" Why You've Never Seen an Ad for Broccoli: Farm-To-School Press Conference; Nature's Path $50,000 "Gardens for Good" Contest
- April 30, 2010
- U.S. Supreme Court Questions Ban on Biotech Alfalfa; Screening of "Food, Inc."; Getting Started with Container Gardening; Garden Vegetable Profiles; The "Yes To Carrots" Garden Challenge; New Poll on Junk Food in School Lunches
- April 22, 2010 - Happy Earth Day!
- Rethinking Montgomery: Producing More Local Food; An Incubator Farm for Montgomery County?; Germantown Community Garden Opening; Green Thumb-Arbor Day Celebration; Farmstead Fever Spreading to Jersey Public Schools; Singing the Praises of the Broad Fork!; Urban Farming Gets Real
- April 16, 2010 - A Slew of Great Food Events!
- Agrarian Author Steve McFadden; Brookside Gardens Earth Day; Rethinking Montgomery: Producing More Local Food; Green Thumb-Arbor Day Celebration; Wheaton's Ed Murtagh and the USDA "People's Gardens;" Why Ronald McDonald Has No Business Talking to Children; Another School Planting a Veggie Garden
- April 9, 2010
- County Parks Could Face Budget Ax; Agrarian Author Steve McFadden; "Food Access Solutions;" The Real "Food Revolution" Starts with Healthy Appalachian Cornbread; On Job Creation - Local Veggies vs. Corn and Soybeans; "Food, Inc." in D.C.
- April 1, 2010
- Dynamic New Planting Chart - and an Update on Late Blight; More on Seed Starting; Obama Recess Appoints Siddiqui; Black Farmers Still Waiting; Yet Another High School Starting Veggie Gardens; McDonald's Scraps Global Composting Program; Indestructible MVG Lawn Sign!
- March 26, 2010
- School Garden Debate Continues in Post;
Mishnah Garden at Adat Shalom; Piney Branch Young Activist Club Confronts MCPS Board of Ed; Vegetable Seed Starting - A How to Video; Jamie Oliver's "Food Revolution" Airs on ABC Tonight!; Sen. Leahy Introduces "Farm to School" in Senate; Bill McKibben on Eating Our Way to a Sustainable Future
- March 19, 2010 - Happy Spring, Everybody!
- March 11, 2010
- MVG Makes the Washington Post!; New Report on School Food in MC; Support MVG on Facebook; Recommended Vegetable Cultivars; "Resolving the Food Fight;" Salmonella in Our Food - Again
- March 4, 2010
- MCPS Makes Bad Decision on Food Gardens; New Congregational Community Garden Network Formed; MVG Makes the Papers!; Tour of MC Schools Central Kitchen and Food Warehouse Sold Out; Broccoli, Star of the Cabbage Family; Host Your Own Seed Exchange Party!; Rodale's Organic Manifesto
- February 25, 2010
- Tour of MC Schools Central Kitchen; And Speaking of School Lunches...; "How Does Your Garden Grow?"; Congregational Community Garden Teleconference; A Video - Truck Farm!; One More Reason To Grow Your Own Food; Report on "Rooting DC" Urban Agriculture Conference; Fresh Local Peaches in February??
- Feburary 18, 2010
- Congregational Community Gardens Teleconference; Do Walmart's Veggies Beat Whole Foods?; Future Harvest Listening Session; Three Great Programs; Michelle Obama Takes on Childhood Obesity; Johnny's Seeds and Monsanto; the NEW MVG Bumpersticker!
- February 11, 2010 - The Snowbound Edition!
- "Benefits of Compost and Compost Teas;" More on Composting; See "Dirt! The Movie;" Rooting DC Urban Agriculture Conference: Sacred Gardening Workshop; Community Gardens Networking Day a Huge Success!
- February 5, 2010
- Food Gardening Series at Brookside Garden; Ready, Set, Grow; A Gentle Nag to Order Seeds; DC Food Blogger Ed Bruske on Kojo Nnamdi Show; Facing Food Insecurity; Ten Misconceptions About Soil; Food, Inc. Nominated for an Academy Award!
- January 28, 2010
- New MC community garden to help feed those in need; Review of the Young Reader's Omnivore's Dilemma; Michael Pollan interview; New resource for local food; Debate on school gardens; Herbicide-resistant crops becoming useless
- January 21, 2010
- Garden expert Cindy Brown at Brookside; A few plots left at Chaney-Briggs; Meet the new Director of MCPS Food Services; Helping the people - and farmers - of Haiti; Why Big Ag won't feed the world; Obama appoints Monsanto man as food safety czar
- Welcome to the New Year! - January 14, 2010
- Time to start ordering seeds!; 5th Annual Seed Exchange; Community Gardens Networking Day; Germantown happenings; What's hot in restaurants in 2010?
- Final update for 2009
- Future Harvest conference; Region-wide community gardens networking day; A holiday treat for you!
- December 10, 2009
- Update on Community Gardens in MC Parks and Schools; New resource for faith-based community gardens; Two great events this Friday; When buying organic isn't good enough; Agriculture and climate change; Movie recommendation: The Real Dirt on Farmer John
- December 3, 2009
- Briefing on MC school garden policy; Free screenings of "Food, Inc." and "No Impact Man;" Huge swaths of U.S. declared agricultural disaster areas; After war, finding peace and calm in a garden
- Happy Thanksgiving!
- A holiday message for foodies
- November 19, 2009
- Briefing on MC school garden policy; Faith-based community gardens; Local harvest - Brussels Sprouts!; Young reader's edition of Omnivore's Dilemma; Growing food when you have no land
- November 12, 2009
- Brown bag discussion on MC school lunches; update on MC school gardens; High school students run a CSA in Oregon; Local restaurants serving local food - Riciutti's; Twenty-somethings turn to farming
- November 6, 2010 - Frost warning!
- Get ready for this week's expected frost!
- November 5, 2009
- October 29, 2009
- Loving the local wine; Grape Stomp rescheduled; Farmers markets starting to close; Agribusiness and the White House
- October 22, 2009
- Register for 2010 MC Master Gardener class; "Noble Farming" by Joel Salatin; Foraging for Acorns - a very local food story; More on MC apple farms; U.S. Justice Department investigates Montsanto
- October 15, 2009
- Winterizing your garden; Time to plant garlic!; Vegetarian awareness month; Grape Stomp and Organic Beer Tasting this weekend
- October 9, 2009
- Apple cider pressing at Heyser Family Farm; Grape Stomp at Sugarloaf Mountain Winery; Organic Beer Tasting; Michael Pollan's "Eater's Manifesto;" Americans grow more small "hobby" farms
- October 1, 2009
- Downtown Silver Spring's only farm!; Red Wiggler Seed Garlic; Growing Power goes to Africa; Harvest Festival reminder
- September 24, 2009
- Agricultural Reserve bike tour; Harvest festival at the Agricultural History Farm; 15 ways to eat more local food; Hope for next year's tomato crop
- Septembe 18, 2009
- Rooftop gardening in NYC; Just say No to antibacterial burgers; Farm runoff fouls wells; "FRESH" premiere
- September 10, 2009
- MC Premiere of "FRESH;" DVD's of "FRESH" available; Michael Pollan on Big Food vs. Big Insurance; Beware corporate "Local washing!"
- Labor Day Update - September 4, 2009
- Fall veggie starts arrive; Fermentation festival in Takoma Park; Red Wiggler's Fall Harvest Supper; Salmonella contamination - again; New world record cabbage!
- August 27, 2009
- MC Master Gardeners Open House; Skyscraper farms; Time magazine on the high cost of cheap food; School and community gardening in Rochester, NY
- August 20,2009
- MC's newest community garden; Guerrilla gardening in England; More resources for fall gardening; Last call for the Ag Fair
- August 12, 2009
- MC Agricultural Fair; Tomato blight; Tip sheet for fall gardening; Joel Salatin on "Beyond Organics"
- August 5, 2009
- Federal food safety bill; Wendell Berry goes to Washington; Red Wiggler's prize garlic crop; Victory Grower video contest for kids
Montgomery Victory Gardens
822 Gist Ave. Suite 100
Silver Spring, Maryland 20910