|911 as an Educational Event |
from Discovery Education
This year marks the tenth anniversary of September 11th, 2001. Discovery Education is proud to support your efforts as you go beyond the walls of your classroom to share these historic events with your students. Join us as we engage students the world over with exclusive curricular content, digital lesson plans, and live webcasts presented in partnership with Tribute WTC Visitor Center.
There recently was an article in the St. Petersburg , Fl. Times. The Business Section asked readers for ideas on: "How Would You Fix the Economy?" Here is one interesting answer:
Dear Mr. President,
Please find below my suggestion for fixing America 's economy. Instead of giving billions of dollars to companies that will squander the money on lavish parties and unearned bonuses, use this plan.
You can call it the "Patriotic Retirement Plan":
There are about 40 million people over 50 in the work force. Pay them $1 million apiece severance for early retirement with the following stipulations:
- They MUST retire. Forty million job openings - Unemployment fixed.
- They MUST buy a new AMERICAN Car. 40 million cars ordered - Auto Industry fixed.
- They MUST either buy a house or pay off their mortgage - Housing Crisis fixed.
It can't get any easier than that!!
P.S. If more money is needed, have all members in Congress pay their taxes.
Mr. President, while you're at it, make Congress retire on Social Security and Medicare. I'll bet both programs would be fixed pronto!
If you think this would work, please forward to everyone you know.
Are you available to tutor?
Are you open for business?
If you have an active profile, you are saying to "shoppers" that "your store" exists, and most assume that you have "office hours" and are "open for business". So if you want tutorials, you need to update when you are receptive to "seeing customers."
Your new profile has a new way of showing parents and students how available you are for tutoring. Your calendar looks like this: Obviously, when your profile attracts attention, parents and students will check out whether or not you have time that matches up with their availability. If it is blank, they may move on to the next tutor.
How do I alter my availability? It is easy and quick.
- Sign in to My Tutorial Account.
- Click on My Profile
- Go to Features (your calendar will soon move to the Tutoring section.)
- Click on the time of each day you want to start to tutor.
- Hold down your mouse. Pull down the "shade" to create a block of time that shows your availability. Release.
- The calendar automatically saves when you click on the X in the upper right corner.
- If you make a mistake, right click and remove.
- ONE LAST REMINDER: You can also write in your narrative box announcements when you are "OUT to LUNCH" or "ON VACATION FROM NOW TO THEN" or "LIMITED TIME SPECIALS"...whatever!