|"New Scale News" Email Archive
|Browse past issues of New Scale News here. (Note: since
these are archive copies, some of the links may be expired.)
Subscribe to New Scale News today to get the latest news with fresh links every quarter. We won't
share your email address, and you can unsubscribe at any time.
- ~ See us at BiOS / Photonics West 2016 (2/8/2016)
- Here's your chance to see our miniature motion systems live and in action: Visit us at BiOS or Photonics West.
- ~So small you have to see it to believe it: Motion systems at Photonics West (1/14/2016)
- See micro beam steering kits, focus modules and stages at Photonics West
- ~ Resolution, open-loop vs closed-loop (12/9/2015)
- This month we answer your questions about M3 module position resolution, share a customer application, and close with a short video holiday greeting.
- ~ Micro-mechatronics in action: industrial robotics, microsurgery applications (11/16/2015)
- This month we're pleased to feature two of our customers and their applications for miniature motion systems.
- ~ VIDEO: Tiny beam steering developer's kit (10/12/2015)
- The new beam steering system features two miniature piezoelectric rotary stages with embedded closed-loop controllers. Along with smallest system size, this makes for fast, easy integration into your system.
- ~ New Dev Kit: Small, easy-to-use mirror positioner (9/15/2015)
- We're pleased to announced the latest developer's kit in our M3 micro-mechatronic product line: a miniature piezoelectric smart stage with built-in controller that enables simple, precise point-to-point beam steering.
- ~ Micro beam steering: three approaches (and a sneak preview of a fourth) (7/28/2015)
- This month we continue to explore new approaches in micro beam steering.
- ~ Getting to "know" about micro-mechatronics (6/23/2015)
- The entrepreneur's mantra "fail fast, fail often" is aptly applied to new product development. You want to know sooner rather than later whether your idea is feasible. Avoid wasting time and money on unrealistic solutions - just quickly rule them out and move on to better options. This applies to every sub-system in your product, including the micro motion systems. Sometimes this is called getting faster to "no." At New Scale we call it getting faster to "know."
- ~ Read our "Advances in micromechatronics" in Photonics (5/22/2015)
- It's amazing what you can learn in a decade. One thing we learned is: design engineers don't really want tiny motors. Surprising? Not really: Most engineers want motion systems that simply work in their instruments, so they can pursue their own innovations -- rather than getting bogged down with unfamiliar motors, mechanics, drivers and control systems. That's why we applied our micromechatronic know-how and experience to create our M3 modules.
- ~ World's smallest hexapod positioner (4/21/2015)
- Ten years ago we were talking about the excitement of someday being able to make a hexapod positioner (Gough-Stewart platforms) as small as a coffee cup. What a difference a decade makes! We now have piezoelectric hexapod that's as small as a shot glass...
- ~ Micro beam steering solutions shine at Photonics West (3/16/2015)
- Read about the three new micro beam steering modules.
- ~ Small moves at Photonics West (1/19/2015)
- Are you attending BiOS or Photonics West? Here's your chance to see our incredibly small motion modules in action! You can also talk with our experts about your specific application and requirements.
- ~ Mini focus module has improved dynamic stability | Dev kits in stock at Mouser, Digi-Key (11/20/2014)
- Customers asked us for an M3 module that offers higher dynamic stability and moves larger lenses with less tilt. We delivered! Developer's kits for the new M3-FS Focus Module are available now at Digi-Key and Mouser.
- ~ Micro stages drive incredible shrinking instruments (10/27/2014)
- Many of our customers are trying to shrink their desktop analytical systems down into devices that are handheld, portable and mobile They need to precisely adjust optics in very small spaces, using battery power, with micrometer precision, at any orientation; while resisting shock, vibration and temperature extremes. Here's how we help.
- ~ Behind the Design: Off-axis, absolute position sensor for optical devices (7/21/2014)
- In this issue we focus on our ongoing innovations in drive electronics and position sensing technology. Both of these areas are critical for optimizing piezo motor system performance. They're key to making better, smaller all-in-one stages, modules and actuators.
- ~ All-in-one USB microstage now with ABSOLUTE ENCODING (4/28/2014)
- This month we're pleased to share our latest updates to our ground-breaking all-in-one USB stage, what we've learned in earning our thirteenth patent, what we'll be presenting in Montreal this summer, and just for fun, what our kids are doing with their robot.
- ~ Mini USB stage has 0.5 Ám resolution, 6 mm stroke (1/28/2014)
- We hope to see you at Photonics West in San Francisco! We'll be showing off our latest innovation, the M3-LS Linear Smart Stage. This stage supports high side loads and will appeal to those of you who have been using the M3-L actuator to move your own stages. As always, our goal is to simplify your system integration. Read more or watch the video.
- ~ mini focus module does 3D at the bottom of the sea (10/15/2013)
- We continue to be amazed by our customers' work. We recently learned that our M3-F mini focus module traveled to the deepest spot on Earth, on a submersible piloted by filmmaker James Cameron, as part of a 3D camera system. Read about it now.
- ~ Focus module enhances eyesight | Electrode positioning for electrophysiology (7/23/2013)
- This month we're excited to share a couple of customer applications of our technology, including wearable technology to assist people with low vision, and a system for electrode positioning in electrophysiology research.
- ~ Video: piezo motor under water | SQUIGGLE for optical coherence tomography (4/24/2013)
- This month we demonstrate a SQUIGGLE motor adapted for high-moisture environments and a technical paper about the novel use of a SQUIGGLE motor for medical scanning using optical coherence tomography (OCT).
- ~ Tiny focus system for gigapixel camera (1/28/2013)
- Join us in San Francisco next month for Photonics West! See our latest M3 micro-mechatronics modules for high-resolution focus and positioning in miniature optical instruments, lasers and photonics systems, aerospace controls, biomedical devices and more. Product demos will include the new custom M3 focus module for a ground-breaking gigapixel camera.
- ~ New videos: Smart micro-motion in action (10/2/2012)
- 2012 marks New Scale's 10th year of putting small, precise and smart systems into motion for you. We've made our piezoelectric motors 500x smaller - and the drive electronics 10,000x smaller, as well as smarter - since releasing our first SQUIGGLE motors in 2004. In this issue we highlight a few of our latest projects with new videos and technical papers. Applications include a small hand-held optical-based device, robots for astronomy, and an endoscopic surgical tool.
- ~ Focus for optical instruments... inspired by your smart phone (4/19/2012)
- This is "The Year of Focus" for instrument designers! We've seen huge demand for small, precise optical focus systems in everything from biometric scanners to medical diagnostic devices. Not to mention smart phones.
- ~ Mini Smart Camera dev kit has autofocus | See us at Photonics West (1/17/2012)
- This month we're pleased to announce a new smart camera developer's kit with precision autofocus, developed through our close partnership with Sunex and D3 Engineering.
- ~ How to add auto focus to a micro camera | See us at Vision 2011 (11/1/2011)
- This month we explain why and how to add automated focus to your micro camera for biometric detection, medical diagnostics, machine vision and more.
- ~ Lifetime for mini focus module now >2M cycles | Buy M3 kits on DigiKey (7/25/2011)
- This month we share the latest advances in our miniature M3-F focus module including new lifetime and repeatability specifications for best-in-class performance in high-resolution imaging applications.
- ~ Micromechatronics for defense | New video, 3 cool applications | USB smart camera gets focus (4/12/2011)
- This month we focus on defense and security applications of small, precise micromechatronics modules - from targeting and guidance systems to portable analytical instruments for biological and chemical hazards.
- ~ Tiny linear actuator has 0.5um resolution and integrated closed-loop controls (1/18/2011)
- This month we're launching our M3-L linear closed-loop motion module, ideal for optical and RF tuning as well as many other medical, military and commercial applications where you need small size and high-resolution motion. Check it out at Photonics West or visit our website for videos, specifications and application information.
- ~ Autofocus hits machine vision, and a "behind the scenes" look at micro mechatronics creation (12/9/2010)
- From Vision 2010 in Stuttgart, Dan Viggiano explains how the SQUIGGLE motor and M3 micro mechatronics modules improve imaging in machine vision, biometrics and medical diagnostics. Also... how a multi-national team created a micro mechatronics module; a new piezo motor patent; and a webcast on medical applications of micro mechatronics.
- ~ Developer's kits now available: tiny focus module for digital cameras (9/21/2010)
- View the developer's kit video or purchase a kit online (now shipping from stock). Also... application focus on biometric detection; visit us at Vision 2010.
- ~ M3-F focus module: precise lens motion for tiny OEM cameras (6/10/2010)
- Customizable focus module adds precision lens motion to the smallest OEM cameras in medical, military, industrial and consumer applications.
- ~ Micro-mechatronics on a fingertip | Defense, security and sensing (3/30/2010)
- This month we feature our new M3 design platform that speeds development of micro-mechatronic modules for closed-loop motion on a fingertip, no external controller!
Also... a lot of interesting work going on the defense and security sector.
- ~ New reduced-voltage SQUIGGLE motor runs on 2.3 VDC (1/12/2010)
- SQL-RV motor with NSD-2101 drive IC matches the low voltage operation of stepper motors while at the same time using radically less space and power.
Also... new 2-minute video explains SQUIGGLE motor and TRACKER position sensor technology.
- ~ New reference designs and app notes for micro optic motion systems (9/22/2009)
- A zoom module only 6.5 mm thick, and a new autofocus module for M6 to M12 lenses. Also: new app note describes how to upgrade existing digital still camera performance and reduce power use by adding a tiny position sensor.
- ~ New rotary piezo motor: tiny size, high torque, extreme precision (4/9/2009)
- Includes specs and link to application note re. JPL fiber positioner. ALSO... new "snap-in" mounting for SQL-1.8 linear piezo motor
- ~ Partnership with TDK-EPCOS drives further miniaturization (1/22/2009)
- New micro motor technology developments include reduced-voltage (<2.8V) SQUIGGLE motor
- ~ New mini encoder | "Creepy" robot crawls the heart (12/12/2008)
- Also... an excellent overview article on piezo motors from MICROmanufacturing Magazine, and the NY Times on why your next phone camera needs optical zoom
- ~ New ASIC drives SQUIGGLE motors (10/14/2008)
- Also... SQUIGGLE lifetime increased, and 2 new tech articles you can download
- ~ New tech papers on medical and phone camera applications (9/9/2008)
- Implantable hearing aids, ultra-thin actuator for autofocus in phone cameras
- ~ Micro-actuator modules get smaller (3/25/2008)
- Also... New Scale partners with austriamicrosystems, expands license agreement with Tamron
New Scale Technologies, Inc. - 121 Victor Heights Parkway - Victor, New York 14564 - www.newscaletech.com