"At the Scene" Email Archives
|The award-winning Mystery Scene Magazine is the leading publication today for fans of crime, suspense and thriller fiction.
Mystery Scene is published five times a year and offers lively, expert coverage of the mystery world including in-depth articles; criticism; profiles; columns by award-winning writers and critics; and an extensive array of audiobook, film, theater, TV and book reviews.
To learn more and to subscribe to the magazine, visit the www.MysterySceneMag.com.
Sign up to receive At the Scene, Mystery Scene's monthly email newsletter.
- May 2015 At the Scene
- Ace Atkins on Elmore Leonard, Edgar, Agatha & Anthony, MWA Matters, Arthur Conan Doyle Overheard
- April 2015 At the Scene
- Kay Hooper on Georgette Heyer, Avery Aames, Krista Davis, Cecil Day-Lewis Overheard
- March 2015 At the Scene
- Cara Black on Georges Simenon's Maigret, Cagney & Lacey, "Portlandia" Overheard, Lis Wiehl Giveaway
- February 2015 At the Scene
- Michael Sears on Reading, Michael Connelly's "Bosch" on Amazon streaming, Win a Signed Terri Blackstock's "Twisted Innocence," Lucy Valentine Overheard
- January 2015 At the Scene
- WEB Griffin on War and Writing, Travel by Book, Lawrence Block on Scott Meredith, Dorothy Sayers Overheard
- December 2014 At the Scene
- Holiday Issue #137, Harry Hunsicker on Reading, Tech for 'Tecs, Holiday Reads, P.D. James Overheard
- November 2014 At the Scene
- MS Digital Edition, Kathleen Ernst on Reading, Bouchercon Beach Reads, Thanksgiving Overheard, "Blood on the Stage"
- October 2014 At the Scene
- Fall 136, Laura Childs on Reading, Fall Crime Time TV, Ace Atkins and Reed Coleman on Robert B. Parker, NoirCon 2014, and more
- September 2014 At the Scene
- Kathy Reichs on Reading, Book Awards, Dennis Lehane's "The Drop", Joan Rivers Overheard, and more
- August 2014 At the Scene
- Sandra Brown on Reading, Married to a Writer, Peachy Murder Recipes, Poirot, and more
- July 2014 At the Scene
- Iris and Roy Johansen on childhood reads, A chat with new Author JoŽl Dicker, Summer Issue #135, Soccer Overheard, and more
- June 2014 At the Scene
- Rita Mae Brown on reading, Nero Wolfe on stage, Arthur Ellis Awards, Lee Harris Father's Day Overheard, Lis Wiehl signed-book giveaway.
- May 2014 At the Scene
- Lawrence Block on Re-reading, Spring Issue #134, Great American Indie Bookstore Tour, Georgette Heyer Overheard, Edgar and Agatha Award Winners
- April 2014 At the Scene
- Nevada Barr, Old-Time Radio Series, Thriller Awards, Death & Taxes
- March 2014 At the Scene
- Winter Issue #133, Jenny Milchman on Doris Miles Disney's "Winifred," Left Coast Crime nominees, John Dixon interview, Harriet the Spy Turns 50
- February 2014 At the Scene
- J.A. Jance on "The Wizard of Oz"; Michael Connelly's "Bosch" on Amazon, 2013 Edgar Nominees, "True Detective" on HBO, Laura Lippman Overheard
- January 2014 At the Scene
- Happy 2014!; Harry Dolan on Reading as a Cure for What Ails You; PBS Season 3 of "Sherlock" returns; Dick Wolf ("Chicago PD," "The Execution") Overheard; Iris Johansen's "Silencing Eve" out in paperback reviewed
- December 2013 At the Scene
- Holiday Issue #132: Alexander McCall Smith; Christopher Fowler on His Childhood Library; 2013 Gift Guide Bonus: Books Worth Treasuring; "Murder Code" by Steve Mosby reviewed; "Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit" Overheard
- November 2013 At the Scene
- Sherlock Mania on TV; C.C. Benison on Ruth Rendell; Outtakes: Authors Reflect on Thanksgiving; Sherlock Holmes on Forensic Science Overheard
- October 2013 At the Scene
- Fall Issue #131: Mark Billingham; Scott Turow on Catching the Reading Bug; A Chat about Gregor Demarkian with Jane Haddam; Remembering Tom Clancy; Benedict Cumberbatch in "The Fifth Estate" Overheard
- September 2013 At the Scene
- MS at Bouchercon 2013; Spencer Quinn on the Hardy Boys and Graham Greene; "Dexter's Final Cut" by Jeff Lindsey reviewed, Encyclopedia Brown and The Case of the Missing Movie; Sue Grafton on Kinsey Overheard
- August 2013 At the Scene
- Nancy Martin on Southern Sisters Writer Anne George; The Two Lives of M.J. Rose; The Killer Beers of Summer: Mystery-themed Brews to Keep You Cool; Harrison Ford and Gary Oldman in "Paranoia" Overheard
- July 2013 At the Scene
- Summer Issue #130: Susan Elia MacNeal; Karin Slaughter on "Gone With The Wind" by Margaret Mitchell; 8 Sizzling Summer Reads; Many Awards, Less Diversity?; Piper Kerman, author of "Orange is the New Black" Overheard
- June 2013 At the Scene
- Museum of Edgar Allan Poe in Richmond, Virginia; Ed Gorman on Charles Williams and Elizabeth Sanxay Holding; Mystery Lovers' Kitchen Shares Donuts and Ice Cream Recipes; Arthur Ellis Awards; Jeff Shelby's Father's Day Overheard; Chris Culver book winners announced
- May 2013 At the Scene
- Spring Issue 129: C.J. Box; David Morrell on Geoffrey Household; Most Mysterious Moms for Mother's Day: Caroline and Charles Todd, Mary Jane and Victoria Maffini, Mary and Carol Higgins Clark, Gloria Skurzynski and Alane Ferguson; Edgar and Agatha Awards; Jesse Eisenberg in "Now You See Me" Overheard, Chris Culver Book Giveaway
- April 2013 At the Scene
- Lisa Scottoline on Reading, Writing, and Robert Parker; Peanuts, Cracker Jacks and Ballpark Mysteries, Jim Henson's Sherlock Hemlock Overheard plus a full profile of everyone's favorite Muppet detective
- March 2013 At the Scene
- C.J. Box on Tom Wolfe; Laughs From the Leftys: Nominees' Best Jokes; Anna Katharine Green Overheard, March Films: "Genius on Hold" and "The Place Beyond the Pines"
- February 2013 At the Scene
- Winter Issue #128: Michael Connelly; Dana Stabenow on Alaska Reading; Mondays Are Murder: Noir Series from Akashic; Travis McGee Overheard; Who Do You Love? Vote for The Best Crime-Fighting Couple of All Time
- January 2013 At the Scene
- Elizabeth George on Reading; Crime Time TV: "Deception," "Banshee," "The Following," and "The Americans," Ben Affleck in "Argo" Overheard, Roaring 1920s Reads; Crime Beat Radio
- Dec 2012 At the Scene
- Holiday Issue #127, Rhys Bowen on Delicious Reads, December films: "Deadfall," "Jack Reacher," "Django Unchained," MS Holiday Gift Ideas.
- Nov 2012 At the Scene
- Lincoln Child on Jospehine Tey; November movies: "Skyfall," "Hitchcock," "Killing Them Softly"; signed "New Jersey's Lindbergh Kidnapping and Trial" book giveaway; Lenny Flem, Jr. from "Fake Mustache" Overheard; Free How-To Guide for Writers.
- Oct 2012 At the Scene
- G.M. Malliet on James Thurber; Mystery Lovers' Recipe Roundup; P.D. James Overheard; Six Scary Reads; "Organized Crime Classics" promo.
- Sept 2012 At the Scene
- The 2012 Fall Issue; Lee Child on "Ice Station Zebra"; Bouchercon Reads: Cleveland Mysteries; Lucy Liu of "Elementary" Overheard; 6 Back to School Mysteries for young readers.
- August 2012 At the Scene
- Kate Carlisle on "The Prince of Tides"; August Crime Time TV: "Major Crimes," "Grimm," "Copper"; James Patterson Overheard; Tana French web exclusive "Broken Harbor" review.
- July 2012 At the Scene
- Linda Fairstein on Daphne du Maurier; Inspector Lewis on PBS Mystery!; Ace Atkins Overheard; signed Malla Nunn "Blessed Are the Dead" giveaway.
- June 2012 At the Scene
- Jeffery Deaver on J.R.R. Tolkien, Don Winslow's "The Savages" and "The Kings of Cool"; crime playwright Michael Walker Overheard; "7th Monarch" off-Broadway ticket giveaway.
- May 2012 At the Scene
- Spring Issue #124; Marcia Clark on James Ellroy, "Writes of Spring" anthology web exclusive review; Mike Hammer Overheard; Solar Eclipse Mysteries.
- April 2012 At the Scene
- Jonathan Maberry on Travis McGee, "Awake" on NBC; 7 Earth Day-inspired reads; "Titanic" Overheard; MS New Authors Breakfast.
- March 2012 At the Scene
- Winter Issue #123; Nicci French on Wilkie Collins; Lucy Liu as the new Watson on "Elementary"; TV 'Tecs: "Missing," "White Chapel"; Agatha Nominees.
- February 2012 At the Scene
- Leslie Meier on Reading, Amy Alessio's To-Die-For Valentine's Strawberry Jam Cake, Edgar, Dilys, LCC Awards, Lisbeth Salander Overheard.
- January 2012 At the Scene
- Betty Webb on Agatha Christie; "Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy" Overheard; Carol O'Connell's Chalk Girl exclusive review; and "Sherlock!" returns to PBS for series 2.
- December 2011 At the Scene
- Matt Rees on Mary's Renault's "The King Must Die," Holiday Gifts, Sherlock Holmes at the movies, Jutta Profijt's "Morgue Drawer Four," Joanne Fluke Giveaway
- November 2011 At the Scene
- Anne Perry reflects on Dante's Inferno, Jayne Ormerod's Blond Leading the Blond web exclusive review, holiday gift ideas and #122 Holiday Issue preview, Janet Evanovich's One for the Money at the movies, and Joanne Fluke Holiday Gift Basket Giveaway
- October 2011 At the Scene
- Duane Swierczynski on Horror and Crime, 2011 Crime Time TV, Harbor by John Ajvide Lindqvist, Scooby-Doo Overheard, Fall Issue #121, MS Winners
- September 2011 At the Scene
- Denise Hamilton on Nancy Drew, St. Louis Bouchercon 2011, Brighton Rock Film Remade, Sara Paretsky Overheard, and Mystery Scene's Weekly Summer Book Giveaway
- August 2011 At the Scene
- Lisa Unger on 3 dark reads, 5 International Film Favorites, R.L. Stine Overheard, Jason Starr's "The Pack", MS Book Summer Giveaway
- July 2011 At the Scene
- Colin Cotterill on Puckoon and Spike Milligan, Our Reviewers Recommends Summer Edition II, Peter Falk Overheard, Win a Sony Reader
- June 2011 At the Scene
- Charlaine Harris on 3 Reads, Arthur Ellis & CrimeFest Awards, Summer Reads, MS Twitter Winners
- May 2011 At the Scene
- Marina Fiorato on Susan Hill, Edgar and Agatha Award Winners, Spring #119 Issue, AMC's Justified Overheard, and more.
- April 2011 At the Scene
- Donna Leon on Reading, The Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes, "The Killing" TV series on AMC, Spring Issue sneak peek, and more.
- March 2011 At the Scene
- Winter Issue #118, Simon Tolkien on great espionage, Robert Crais, Left Coast Crime, MC Beaton giveaway
- February 2011 At the Scene
- Barbara D'Amato on Joseph Wambaugh's "The Choirboys," 2011 Edgar Nominees, "Romancing the Con" for Valentine's Day, Mardi Gras Reads, and Spring #118 Preview.
- January 2011 At the Scene
- Wallace Stroby on "The Glass Key", Author Group Blogs, Lee Child, New Year Reads, and more.
- December 2010 At the Scene
- Alex Kava on reading, incoming e-books, Gift Guide for The Philanthropist, and more.
- Happy Holidays! From At the Scene
- Laurie R. King on Jane Langton, Gift Ideas for Mystery Lovers, MS Holiday Gift-away and more.
- November 2010 At the Scene
- Dennis Lehane, 2010 Gift Guide, Joseph Wambaugh on "Catch-22", 2010 Mystery and Crime Award Reads, George Carlin and more.
- October 2010 At the Scene
- Louise Penny on "Charlotte's Web", Kathy Reichs, Dashiell Hammett's San Francisco, and the new all-color format!
- September 2010 At the Scene
- Deon Meyer on Ed McBain, Kathy Reichs, Mystery Crime Time TV, and much more!
- August 2010 At the Scene
- Frederick Forsyth on "The Spy Who Came in from the Cold," "Bones," summer web exclusive reviews, Sara Paretsky, and more
- July At the Scene 2010
- Susan Wittig Albert on Eudora Welty, Hercule Poirot MYSTERY!, Thrillerfest 2010, MS summer web exclusive reviews, The Girls Who Played with Fire, and more.
- June 2010 At the Scene
- Michael Koryta Issue #115, Michael Koryta on "The Crow and the Castle, Miss Marple Masterpiece MYSTERY!, Akira Kurosawa, and win the 39 Steps.
- May 2010 At the Scene
- Lisa Lutz Issue #114, Elizabeth George on A.S. Byatt, 2010 Edgar Award Winners, Mother's Day Gifts, Dorothy Gilman Overheard, and more.
- April/March 2010 At the Scene
- Randy Wayne White Issue #113, Carolyn Hart on Beverly Gray, New Spring TV Series, "Lolita" Overheard, April Fool Reads, and more.
- Feb 2010 At the Scene
- From Page to Screen, G.K. Chesterton Overheard, Mystery Scene's Malice Domestic "Meet the Authors Breakfast"
- January 2010 At the Scene
- 2010 Edgar Nominees, Dilys, Robert B. Parker Remembered, Inspector Jacques Clouseau Overheard.
- At the Scene, Dec 2009
- Season's Greetings. Fond farewells and hearty welcomes to writers. Joanne Fluke's Plum Pudding Contest. The many incarnations of Sherlock Holmes. More ideas from MS Gift Guide.
- At the Scene, Nov 2009
- Holiday Issue #112 mails. Sara Paretsky is cover profile, round-up of legal mysteries, Lawrence Block remembers Stanley Ellin, MS Gift Guide, and more.
- At the Scene, Oct 2009
- Lawrence Block to start regular MS column, "The Murders in Memory Lane." Details on Poisoned Pen Web Con. Spooky Reads. Great First Lines.
- At the Scene, Sept 2009
- Fall Issue #111 mails. MS sponsor "Meet the New Authors" at Bouchercon. Poisoned Pen Press Web Con is first virtual mystery convention.
- At the Scene, July 2009
- Newsletter Debut. Editor Kate Stine discusses new PBS Miss Marple at BN.com. New column on Book Collecting. Mystery Scene wins Poirot Award.
Mystery Scene Magazine
331 W. 57th, Suite 148
New York, New York 10019