| Note, June 22, 2012: Our normal practice is to send the 5DPT Bulletin in the first week of each month. However, with the grand flourish of human error, we sent this email to our technical support staff email list, not subscribers to the 5DPT Bulletin. Only yesterday did we realize our mistake. Please excuse our error. I do hope you find this information, though delivered late, to be meaningful and timely in your on-going pursuit of better health and weight management.|
Best Wishes! Kaye
Greetings Neighbors and Happy Summer 2012!
Have you found yourself starting the 5 Day Pouch Test
over and over again struggling just to get through Days 1 and 2 and wondering what in the world you are doing wrong? Do you blame yourself for being weak and lacking will power because the liquid days are too big a burden to bear? You are not alone. Many people struggle on Days 1 and 2: over the last five years I've worked with many of you and I have learned a lot about what makes it hard and what makes it easy to get through the liquid days.
Refresher: The Plan Days 1 and 2
This month's 5DPT Bulletin takes a look at some of the pitfalls that derail us on Days 1 and 2. I then give solutions and suggestions to avoid these pitfalls so we all may successfully get back on track with our health and weight management using the weight loss surgery tool in the manner that serves us best. Little things make a difference and I think if you give Days 1 and 2 another try a pleasant surprise awaits you come Day 3.You are more powerful than you think and
You Can Do This!Kaye
Be sure to check-out these dedicated spaces in the
The only official online community for the5DPT Plan, Recipes, Tools, FAQ5 Day Pouch Test in Progress5 Day Pouch Test Results
5 Day Pouch Test:
For informative and inspiring reading please visit
our 5 Day Pouch Test Articles Collection
You are our valued reader. We respect your rights and privacy by never sharing your information with a third party. Please respect our creative rights by honoring copyright laws and prevent plagiarism.
|Strategies for Days 1 and 2: Liquids|
It doesn't have to hurt!
|Lasting Success Book Bundle - Value Price Save $9 on Set|
There is no doubt about it: the 5 Day Pouch Test is an enthusiasm generating phenomena. More people have done the 5DPT after hearing by word of mouth how someone else took back their WLS tool and lost some weight too, in 5 easy days. If we are struggling and don't know how to "get back to basics", if we have lost all hope, and suddenly we learn about someone just like us who got back on track in five days, it is easy to get caught up in the enthusiasm. Just like the young child eager to ride a two-wheel bicycle without training wheels we are prone to crashes when we take off too quickly without learning the rules.
I don't consider this over-eagerness a failure: it is simply misdirected energy leading to an unsuccessful execution of the plan. There are four errors of over-eagerness that I see frequently, but can easily be avoided:
- Restricting caloric intake
- Poorly scheduling the 5DPT
- Lack of Planning
- Pursuit of Perfection
Let's take a look at each point of over-eagerness and consider ways to harness the energy and excitement while taking intelligent and reasonable steps to work the plan.
- Restricting caloric intake. Do not restrict food or caloric intake on the 5DPT. You can have as many liquid meals as needed in response to hunger or cravings. Some people are inclined to restrict food intake during the 5 Day Pouch Test: this is not encouraged because it leads to increased hunger cravings and frustration. Do not restrict food intake: less is not better. Pay close attention to the signals your body gives and when you are hungry eat something from the approved menu for the day. Soups are measured in 1-cup servings and protein drinks are measured as the recipe or package directs. Stick with these portion sizes and eat what you can in 15 minutes. After 15 minutes discard what is uneaten and take pause to experience your pouch noting feelings of fullness and satiation. Wait at least one full hour before your next serving of liquid meal. Use this time to be mindful of your body; to get in touch with your pouch. Learning to feel the pouch and listening for authentic biological hunger signals is essential to your successful weight management. If you are truly hungry after waiting one hour then have another serving of one of the approved meals. Again, take only 15 minutes to eat and continue to be alert to the signals your body sends.
Carb Monster Soup Recipes: Days 1 & 2
- Poorly scheduling the 5DPT. Mark the date. Set a date and mark your calendar. Make sure you can follow the plan without the disruption of travel, social events or hormonal cycles. Enlist the support of family and friends. It is fairly common for people to schedule the 5DPT to begin on Monday and end on Friday. But many have found that scheduling Day 1 for a Saturday works more favorably for them. On Days 1 and 2 one generally needs frequent bathroom breaks, which may be uncomfortable in a workplace. Consider that as you schedule your plan. Additionally, many of us have made the mistake of completing the 5DPT on Friday only to celebrate with weekend binge eating come Saturday. If our plan starts on Saturday and concludes on Wednesday we can more easily transition to a Day 6 lifestyle on Thursday, thus avoiding the weekend binge phenomena. Consider all of this before scheduling your 5 Day Pouch Test. Scheduling it for the right time significantly improves our chance for success.
- Lack of planning. You must plan ahead to have the prescribed foods available once the plan begins. You must also take the necessary steps to remove trigger foods from your environment as much as possible. Before the plan begins, please make preparations: this will ensure your success. Plan your meals for all five days and do the grocery shopping before starting the 5DPT. We all know that the supermarket is temptation alley, do your best to avoid going there for these five days. Many people are surprised at the relief and empowerment they feel upon making their food plan for five days. With the menu choices made there is little to dwell upon and we have spare energy to focus on getting back on track.
LivingAfterWLS free download planning tools
- Pursuit of Perfection. At least once a day I receive this question, "I messed up on Day 1: Should I start over to get it perfect?" I have never done the 5DPT perfectly and I do not know anyone who has. Rather than make the five days about perfection make this time about learning. Little mistakes will not stop the world from turning. So forge ahead doing your very best and forgive little mistakes. Learn from each day, review the key learning points and make notes on your 5 Day Pouch Test Journal. Emerge on Day 6 knowing more about yourself and how to work your tool. You can do this! One of the biggest dietary mistakes we make is thinking we must be totally perfect or totally imperfect. We do not have to manage our plate with an all or nothing strategy: this has never worked for keeping our obesity under control. Start thinking about doing your best in the moment and on the day and celebrate the little moments. Our LivingAfterWLS motto embraces this: "Stop for a moment. Look where you are: You Have Arrived." Now is everything. Never forget that perfection is not the goal in anything: doing our best on the day and in the moment is always the goal.
Eagerness + Intelligence = Success!
Team your eagerness with intelligence as you embark on a new chapter in this weight loss surgery journey. The 5DPT is a remarkably effective tool that can have a lasting positive impact on your health and well being when you use it correctly and set yourself up for success. In so many other areas of our life - relationships, parenting, career-making, home-keeping, talent-nurturin
- we go to great lengths to take the necessary measures to ensure success. Doesn't our health and weight management deserve the same attention to detail that leads to success?
Don't you deserve the best health and wellness and weight management you are capable of achieving with hard work using your tools effectively? I think you do. And I know you can do this!
|Customer Top Rated
Lasting Success Book Bundle
Put the Power of the Pouch in your hands with Kaye Bailey's two best selling books plus the highly effective Ultimate Pocket Diet Journal. Our customer favorite Lasting Success Book Bundle includes The 5 Day Pouch Test Owner's Manual (2008); Day 6: Beyond the 5 Day Pouch Test (2009); and The Ultimate Pocket Diet Journal (by Alex Lluch 2006). 600 pages of inspiration, motivation, empowerment & know-how to get you on track with WLS and keep you there! Great recipes, inspiring hints and proven secrets! Spoken in Kaye's compelling voice of compassion and "You Can Do This" spirit. Great bundle ensuring your lasting success with Weight Loss Surgery.List Price: $65.95Bargain Bundle Price: $56.95 - Save $9.00
|Save even more! Coupon code JUNEFUN takes $2 off any order at checkout! (No minimum purchase!)|
|A Weight Loss Surgery Journal|
Marks Progress and Healing
Saving the Memories
We have heard it all our dieting life: "keep a food journal, it will keep you accountable for what you eat." That advice always failed me, the best I could ever keep a food journal was through breakfast, I did not want to leave written evidence of my eating behavior.
But there is one time in my life I kept a journal, words and feelings scribed on the page. That journal chronicled the first year following my weight loss surgery. The weight loss surgery experience is profound. It is a physical and emotional Mt. Everest. I dare say there is no other change a morbidly obese person will ever undertake that is as emotionally significant as weight loss surgery.
There are two reasons for keeping a journal: first to have a release for your thoughts and feelings; second, to have a record of your experience. For many people it is less painful to be honest about our feelings when writing them down rather than speaking them. If we write them down we don't have to hear them aloud. If we write them down we are not vulnerable to sharing with someone else. For me, writing my feelings on paper was like sweeping the floor - I could gather the debris and toss it out - I no longer had it cluttering my mind.
Secondly, as a record, your journal will become priceless. Perhaps on a daily basis we cannot measure our growth, our strengths and courage as we experience the weight loss transformation. But if we have a reference we can deliberately and honestly measure our progress. We can turn to the journal when we are feeling defeated and relive milestone moments we have recorded. One of my greatest moments during the weight loss was fitting in size 12 jeans. Imagine it: size 12! I do not want to ever forget that moment, and I will not because it is in my journal and it is a success I visit often. Record those magical moments to relive later, it is worth the time and effort.
A journal can be a lovely bound writing book, a simple steno tablet, a computer document or even an online blog. Video journaling to share is now possible with so many free video sharing websites available. In journaling, you can commit to daily entries, or write when the mood strikes. You can share your travel log or keep it tucked away and private.
Some patients elect to keep a weight loss scrapbook and they document their transformation with pictures and captions. What an excellent pastime and celebration of the weight loss, to record in pictures and words the transformation. Others use log sheets to mark progress, specifically fitness log sheets. They begin day one recording walking distance and speed. Looking at a log sheet is an excellent measure of progress. It can be used to identify trends and spot problems. It most certainly is a place to record accomplishments and highlight new records.
Do what is right for you. This is your experience: please, do yourself the favor of recording your journey.
Join the LivingAfterWLS Neighborhood - Your safe haven circle of friends who are living after weight loss surgery.
New in the LivingAfterWLS General Store
Guide to Healthy
Fast-Food Eating 2nd Edition by Hope S. Warshaw
Paperback, 300 pages2nd edition published 2009
The American Diabetes Association has given this book its seal of approval. Complete & easy-to-use fast-food guide for people with diabetes, heart disease, and weight challenges. Includes nutrition facts for calories, carbohydrates, fiber, fat, trans and saturated fats, protein, and more. Complete menus for many popular fast-food chains. Compact & easy to take with you. Make smart selections for the entire family. Paperback; 300 pages. (Publisher: American Diabetes Association)
Publisher's Price: $10.95
Value Price: $9.95
Save $2.00 off any order!
|Stock up now on 5DPT Supplies and Save!|
|Offer Expires: June 30, 2012|
The health content provided by LivingAfterWLS is intended to inform, not prescribe, and is not meant to be a substitute for the advice and care of a qualified health-care professional.