What do YOU want for yourself
for the coming year?
Join us for a transformational
New Year's Retreat
In the beautiful Berkshire hills
December 28, 2012 - January 1, 2013
Get what you
need to make 2013 your best year yet
in this dynamic program, featuring:
PLUS Gourmet dinner
and fun party on
New Year's Eve!
Our scenic 600-acre property is the
perfect setting for this very special New
In experiential workshops, led by Kushi
Institute faculty, you will:
- Learn techniques to help you let go of
old habits that no longer serve you.
- Develop new awareness and skills that
support you in achieving your goals in wellness, empowerment, happiness,
and other aspects of life.
- Boost fitness and vitality.
Get ready to step into a healthy,
happy, rewarding, and renewed life
- During the retreat you'll be deeply nourished with every freshly prepared, delicious and healthy meal, and delight in a gourmet New Year's Eve buffet dinner
- Ring in the new year with a celebration party, sharing in music, dance, and joy with participants and staff.
- Enjoy socializing with like-minded people.
- Be inspired by the beauty of our natural environment as you stroll along lovely country lanes and enjoy other seasonal activities.
- Treat yourself to optional private sessions.
Our offerings include restorative massage, energy healing, macrobiotic consultations, movement therapy and more. To see the full list and descriptions of private sessions click here.
Early Payment Discount Date: November 1
Only $575 for full program and meals
New Year's Eve Gourmet Buffet Dinner
and Celebration Party
Featuring an abundance of sensational dishes, our New Year's dinner is designed by popular macrobiotic chef and cooking teacher, Amber Maisano, and will be prepared by Amber and our team of expert chefs. You can see the dinner menu by scrolling to the bottom of this page.
Ring in the New Year with other guests along with our faculty and staff at this celebratory party with music, dancing, snacks, and a midnight toast.
Nine Star Ki:
In this workshop, with Edward Esko, you'll gain:
- Practical information designed to provide an understanding of your own personality and your relationship with others
- Greater knowledge to benefit your health, relationships, finances, and success
- Guidelines for making the most of challenges and opportunities that await you in the coming year
Macrobiotic Cooking Classes:
In these workshops, with Bettina Zumdick, you'll gain:
- Informative tips and recipes designed to give you a broader understanding of food energetics and cooking styles that can maximize health benefits
- More satisfying dishes to astound your family and friends, loaded with valuable nutrients, health-boosting enzymes, and the savory and sweet tastes perfect for holiday events
- Guidelines for counteracting the stress and over-stimulation that can come along with holiday festivities, to help you remain peaceful, grounded and happy
- Hands-on experience making holiday delights so delicious you'll want to make them again and again to share with family and friends. Experience fun foods for the New Year and gain a greater understanding of how macrobiotic menus can add to your spiritual and physical well being, leaving you feeling satisfied, healthy, and peaceful.
Meditation and Contemplative Practices:
In these workshops, shared between Bettina Zumdick, Misha Forrester, and Olaf Fischer you'll have opportunities to:
- Explore a variety of meditative practices that include following the breath, moving meditation, chanting, and guided visualization
- Develop moment-to-moment awareness, observing and witnessing your thoughts, feelings and sensations
- Utilize mindfulness-based strategies that may help dissolve critical, habitual ways of thinking and acting that often judgmentally hijack your bliss
- Slow down your breathing rate, blood pressure, and heart rate to discover how mindfulness can cultivate positive, emotional states in ourselves and others, to become more patient, kind, accepting, and compassionate, thus improving overall mood and health and producing lower stress responses.
Movement and Exercise Practices:
In workshops, with Misha Forrester, you will be guided in:
- Slow, gentle, pleasurable movements designed to communicate between muscle, bone, and brain for increased neuroplasticity
- Building a capacity for greater body wisdom, coordination, ease and grace; better posture; and if you have been experiencing pain or stiffness, reduction in both, by using the whole body and by responding, knowingly, to your own movement cues
- Developing weight-bearing strategies to build stronger bones, better circulation, and confidence in moving and walking upright -- a great planned program for the New Year!
In workshops with Olaf Fischer and Misha Forrester you will be guided in using a variety of gentle stretches, tapping, and directed, sequential movements to
- Stimulate circulation, lymph fluid, and strengthen and tone organs and tissues for wellness and increased vitality
- Improve muscle tone for greater strength and stamina
- Reduce stress and tension for greater sense of calm and inner focus
- Cleanse your breath for a stronger universal life-force
FULL DAILY SCHEDULE - CLICK HERE
New Year Cooking Classes
Macrobiotic Counseling or Menu Planning, Energy Healing
Kushi Institute Senior Macrobiotic Teacher and Counselor Bettina Zumdick is a native of the Baltic Sea area of Germany, where she started Macrobiotics in 1985, and simultaneously studied Food Science at the University of Muenster.
She has taught and counseled Macrobiotics and other Body-Mind-Spirit related subjects such as meditation, chanting, and intuitive counseling in Europe and the United States for over 25 years.
Realizing the complex interconnections between body, mind and spirit, and through her own healing journey from Lyme disease, Bettina knows that it is possible to improve your health and to deepen the quality of all your experiences in life. It is her intent to share the knowledge and wisdom of this path for better health, vitality and being able to pursue your most passionate dreams in life.
|Kushi Institute Executive Director and Teacher Olaf Fischer has been involved in the Macrobiotic movement for more than twenty years, including nine years as Executive Director of Kushi Institute.
His interest in Macrobiotics began out of curiosity and a desire to help people in their healing process. He has lived and studied the macrobiotic life style with eminent teachers of Macrobiotics such as Herman and Cornelia Aihara, Cecil Levin, David and Cindy Briscoe, and Michio Kushi. Olaf had his own Macrobiotic Counseling practice in San Francisco, California, offering services such as counseling, cooking classes, personal chef services, and body work for many years before taking over as director at Kushi Institute.
Olaf is licensed by the Empowerment Institute of New York, and is an experienced empowerment workshop leader, teaching visualization and meditation practices. He strongly believes that practicing a sensible Macrobiotic dietary lifestyle which includes visualization and meditation can lead to a fulfilling, healthy and happy life.
Feldenkrais Awareness Through Movement®
Bones for Life®
Restorative Massage, Feldenkrais Functional Integration®
|Guild Certified Feldenkrais Method®, and Bones for Life® practitioner, Licensed Massage Therapist, and yin-yoga instructor, Misha Forrester shares her time between the Kushi Institute and a private practice in restorative massage, Feldenkrais Functional Integration®, and teaching Feldenkrais Awareness Through Movement®. Her clients include those with cancer, osteoarthritis, and fibromyalgia; with movement impairments such as MS, Parkinson's, stroke recovery, shoulder issues, and hip replacements; as well as yoga teachers, dancers, and those wishing to increase mobility and performance.
An effective method for reclaiming childlike flexibility and ease of
movement, Feldenkrais® private sessions and public classes are transformative, resulting in greater movement reorganization and alignment that makes long-term connections between brain and muscle, nurturing the whole self.
Misha's background in natural healing modalities, in addition to being a meditator, is evident in her therapeutic workshops which often compliment other mindfulness trainings.
Nine Star Ki Analysis
Nine Star Ki personal profile
Kushi Institute Senior Macrobiotic Teacher and Counselor Edward Esko is a key personality in the macrobiotic diet /health revolution. Edward trained extensively with Michio Kushi, and in 1972 he became vice president of the East West Foundation, a non-profit macrobiotic educational organization founded by Michio.
Edward has lectured in over a dozen countries, guiding thousands of people toward better health through the macrobiotic diet.Authoring and editing more than twenty texts on macrobiotic philosophy and cooking, many of which have been translated into languages other than English, he was honored with the Aveline Kushi award in 2006 for his contributions. With Michio, he co-authored, among others, Macrobiotic Approach to Cancer (1982), and Nine Star Ki (1991). Edward has served as a Kushi Institute faculty member since 1977, devoting much of his energy to the Kushi Institute's Macrobiotic Leadership Program.
center for natural healing
198 Leland Road
Becket, MA 01223
to see the
full calendar of all
Kushi Institute programs
EARLY BIRD SPECIAL: $575
- $25.00 OFF when paid in full by
November 1, 2012
- $600 when paid after November 1, 2012
Fee includes the full program and all meals.
Arrival time by 3:30pm on Friday, December 28; program ends after brunch, 12 noon Tuesday, January 1st
The below prices are NOT per night - they include
all 4 nights!
- $75 - Small single room in North Hall with shared dormitory style bathrooms.
- $75 ea - Shared double or triple room (per person) in North Hall with shared dormitory style bathrooms.
- $125 per person - Shared double room (per person) in the Main House with shared bathrooms along the hallway.
- $250 - Single room in the Main House with shared bathrooms along the hallway.
- $430 - Private Bath. These rooms have either 2 or 3 single beds, and can be used either as single room, or for friends or family wishing to share the room.
- Economical airport shuttle - only $50
Each way between Bradley International Airport and Kushi Institute, inquire when registering
- Private session fees and information click here.
For More Information or to Register:
Click here to register online
New Year's Eve
Starting at 7:00 p.m.
Brown and Wild Rice Pilaf with Crimini Mushrooms
Oven Fried Cod Fish Fillets with Tartar Sauce
Orange Pan Glazed Tempeh
Mashed Cauliflower with Roasted Garlic
Steamed Greens with Ume Scallion Dressing
Fresh Salad with Anjou Pear, Toasted Walnuts,
Pickled Tofu and Cranberry Vinaigrette
Curried Carrot Soup with Cornbread
Chocolate Cake with Raspberry Mousse
Lemon Strawberry Custard
Coffee, Tea, Sparkling Apple Cider
The New Year's Eve party
starts at 8:30 p.m.
visit Kushi Institute Center for Natural Healing online here
For free articles and recipes,
and to find out about upcoming
programs and discounts,
click here to join our e-newsletter.
Kushi Institute is a federally approved 501-C-3 non-profit educational organization. Discrimination based on race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, age, national or ethnic origin, political beliefs, veteran status, or disability is contrary to the principles and policies of Kushi Institute