| GIFTS & TASKS |
"DONS et DEVOIRS"
Helping each other live the Gospel at home & around the world
International Organization of Marianist Lay Communities (IO-MLC)
Region of North America, Asia, Australia, and Ireland
"Have a good day." It's a phrase you hear when leaving friends and from almost every clerk when leaving a store. So what does a "good day" really mean? Is it just a trite phrase you say and receive without thinking?
So much in our lives are habits like this. We say nice things but we rarely look at our world, our space, and other people with true consciousness. We take our family, our friends, our health, our freedom for granted, at least I do - until something goes wrong.
It might be a family crisis, an illness, loss of job, or disaster. Suddenly we are catapulted into concern and prayer. We think of God.
Today, I wish you a good day by offering you this short meditation on gratitude and consciousness. Watch and listen to it with a Marianist faith of the heart.
|Gratitude HD - Moving Art???|
Representative for N. America, Asia, Australia, Ireland
| FEATURED COUNTRY - JAPAN
|Hiroshi Kawaguchi Natl. Responsible|
|Meeting of the Joint Marianist Family in Japan|
March 29, 2013
Report from MLC Japan
Following is a brief summary of the major events and matters of MLC Japan during the past year.
- A joint meeting of the Marianist Family of Korea and Japan (NEACFM) was held in Tokyo from October 12th to the 14th 2012. Thirteen Korean delegates (4 from SM, 4 from FMI, and 5 from MLC) attended. We were divided into groups and discussions took place on various subjects. The session ended successfully in friendly and mutual understanding of both parties.
- The Marianist families of Japan meet once every year. This year, the meeting was held on January 13th in which Fr. Yosinobu Kitora, SM gave an interesting lecture on the 125th Anniversary of the Society of Mary in Japan. We were deeply impressed by the historical accounts of great hardships of the priests and monks who were driven on by strong missionary intentions.
- I will resign as National Responsible for MLC Japan on March 31, 2013. Seiko Sakano is the acting National Responsible until an official election can be held.
- Announcement: The pilgrimage site for the 2013 World Marianist Day of Prayer will be at "Madonna of Nagasaki" in Japan.
May the Grace of Our Lord and Mary be with you always.
National Responsible for MLC Japan
AROUND THE REGION
ADELE SOCIAL JUSTICE PROJECT
Looking for new members
The Adele Social Justice Project (ASJP) is currently inviting young adults in their 20s and 30s to consider discerning its core team as part of their Marianist ministry. ASJP is a great way for young adults to be active contributors to the faith and justice lives of young adults throughout the country. The discernment form deadline is June 15. Please see the attached letter and discernment form if you or someone you know may be interested in learning more. Thank you!
LET US PRAY
For the Marianist Region of Canada and the family of Richard Joyal, SM who died April 25, in Port-au-Prince, Haiti. Tragically Richard was shot by robbers immediately after withdrawing money from the bank as part of the final steps in the closing of the Marianist Foundation of Haiti.
- For all those who lose their lives, are injured, or lose property in natural disasters like the tornado that recently ravaged Moore, Oklahoma.
- For those Marianist Lay Communities discerning new leadership. (At any given time that's probably about half of us.)
AROUND THE WORLD
NEW CIRCULAR FOR LAY MARIANISTS
Our president, Isabella Moyer has written an excellent reflection document titled Faith of the Heart in the Heart of the World. Although this will serve as background for the International meeting in Lima, Peru (January 26-February 2, 2014), it is a valuable resource for all lay Marianists to ponder and discuss at your regular meetings.
ENGLISH FRANÇAIS ESPAÑOL
National Responsibles, please distribute Circular #4 among the Lay Marianists in your country.
JUNE 8 - Birthday of Adèle de Batz de Trenquélleon
Novena to Mother Adèle
June 8 marks the birthday of Mother Adèle, foundress of the Daughters of Mary (FMI). Enjoy reading the inspiring letter she wrote on the occasion of her 26th birthday in 1815. The FMI call upon all Marianists to pray the Novena to Mother Adèle
For a current look at the FMI, read the latest circular, A Running Heart
, from Franca Zonta FMI, Superior General of the Marianist Sisters.
FRIDAY MAGNIFICAT - MAY
Participants from recent Black Family retreat
The Marianist Family Retreat Center in Cape May Point, NJ offers a wide range of retreat experiences for anyone seeking personal and spiritual growth. While the Center offers retreats for folks of all walks of life, there is a particular focus on meeting the needs of a diverse population. Retreats are sponsored annually for Spanish-Speaking families, Black Catholic families, and families in transitional housing.
Past issues of Gifts and Tasks are archived online at GIFTS AND TASKS ARCHIVE
Gifts and Tasks is published on the 4th Friday of each month. We need local and national news, stories, reflections, and photos. Please send submissions and ideas for next month's issue to SusanVogt1@gmail.com by the previous Sunday.
Kindly forward this issue to contact persons within your country to help with its distribution. Click here to subscribe to Gifts & Tasks.