Canadian Agency for Drugs and Technologies in Health (CADTH) Produced a Policy Statement on January 11, 2013 Entitled: "Neuromuscular Occlusion for Diagnosis and Treatment of Temporomanibular Joint Disorders: A Review of the Clinical Evidence "
Their key findings are described as follows: "The available evidence does not support the use of electromyography as a diagnostic test for temporomandibular disorder. The use of electrical stimulation for the treatment of TMD is not supported by the current evidence. No conclusions can be made on the efficacy of occlusal splint based on the neuromuscular occlusion concept." For full article click here
A response was made by your American Alliance of TMD Organizations.
"While we can appreciate CADTH's confidentiality of the committee authors of this report, we submit it does raise the question of the qualifications of the committee in regards to having an open mind to be objective in its conclusions. In fact, 10 of the 15 studies accepted by the committee for review support neuromuscular temporomandibular dysfunction therapies. Yet, the committee interpreted these studies differently!." To view the full response click here
The Journal of Craniomandibular and Sleep Practice - A New Name
For 30 years, CRANIO, The Journal of Craniomandibular Practice has remained the oldest and largest journal in the world devoting its entire emphasis to the reporting of temporomandibular disorders. In January 2013, CRANIO became CRANIO, The Journal of Craniomandibular & Sleep Practice
. CRANIO now includes articles on all aspects of sleep medicine while remaining committed to its original purpose of furthering the knowledge of temporomandibular disorders. Learn More.
The Journal of Craniomandibular and Sleep Practice - January 2013
Volume 31, Number 2
- Dentistry's Role in Sleep-Disordered Breathing ... View Article
- The Periodontal Probe and the Millimeter Scale ... View Article
- The Occlusal Appliance Effect on Myofascial Pain ... View Article
- Gender Differences in Low and High Pain Palpation Thresholds in the TMJ and Neck Areas ... View Article
- Effect of Stabilization Splint on Occlusal Force Distribution During Voluntary Submaximal Tooth Clenching: A Preliminary Sleep Simulation Study ... View Article
- Natural Head Position and Growth of the Facial Part of the Skull ... View Article
- Relationship Between Chewing Rate and Masticatory Performance ... View Article
- Morphological Changes in the Temporomandibular Joint Before and After Sagittal Splitting Ramus Osteotomy of the Mandible for Skeletal Mandibular Protrusion ... View Article
- Does Low Intensity Laser Therapy Reduce Pain and Change Orofacial Myofunctional Conditions? ... View Article
- A Longitudinal Study of the Effect of Experimental Osteoporosis on Bone Trabecular Structure in the Rat Mandibular Condyle ... View Article