Comprehensive Dental Benefits for Pregnant Women Enrolled in Medicaid and FAMIS MOMS
Take a moment to ask conference committee members to include dental benefits for pregnant women enrolled in Medicaid in the final budget.
The Virginia Senate budget includes funds to provide comprehensive dental benefits for the 15,000 pregnant women enrolled in Medicaid and FAMIS MOMS; the House budget does not. Now, the fate of the funding lies in the General Assembly's conference committee - a selected group Senate and House members who are bringing both sides together to create a compromise budget that will be voted on by the entire legislature.
Click here for conference committee members' contact info.
Providing comprehensive dental benefits to the 15,000 pregnant women enrolled in Medicaid and FAMIS MOMS can:
- Reduce the prevalence of preterm birth among women with periodontal disease
- Cut-down on emergency dental expenditures
- Limit the transmission of decay between moms and their babies
If you have questions about this issue or how to contact to contact a committee member, please contact Sarah Bedard Holland at 804.269.8721 or email@example.com.
Oral Health and Overall Health
Oral health and overall health are fundamentally intertwined. The following links present current information on how oral health is connected to overall health and well-being.
ADA Statement - Action for Dental Health: Bringing Disease Prevention into Communities
The ADA recently released the statement Action for Dental Health: Bringing Disease Prevention into Communities that outlines collaborative, preventive measures than can be initiated in localities to improve access to dental care.
Read the full statement
- E-learning Opportunity (Spring 2014): Cultural Competency Program for Oral Health Professionals, a CE program from the Center for Linguistic and Cultural Competence in Health Care. View more information and register to receive the program info when it launches later this Spring.
- March 11: Virginia Health Care Foundation's (VHCF) Tooth Talk Roundtable in Richmond. Click here to register and learn more about VHCF's Tooth Talk.
- March 13: Oral Health Day, a patient care day hosted by The Daily Planet in Richmond. View event information.
- March 21: Providing Oral Health Services to Medicaid Long Term Care Residents, a free CE program hosted by Lucy Corr Village in Chesterfield. View event homepage to register.
Please visit our website for more oral health information