IMMIGRATION NEWS AILS logo small                
27th March 2012
Volume 214

 Subscribe To Our Newsletter

In This Issue
Streamlined visa processing
Post-study work visa
Dear students, 


Welcome to the latest edition of IMMIGRATOIN NEWS and to the new subscribers. This free service is brought to you by Australian Immigration Law Services. You can subscribe using the link on the right hand side or by visiting our website. Please feel free to forward this e-mail to any of your friends.


We introduced some of the changes in Student visa application in our previous newsletters. In this issue, we will talk about DIAC's new streamlined visa processing and Post-Study work visa. These changes will affect students who are completing a Bachelor degree or higher level.


Streamlined Visa Processing for student visa applications



What is the streamlined visa processing?



DIAC has made it easy for some of the students who will be studying Bachelor, Master or Doctoral degree to apply for their student visa application.


If you will be studying at a participating university in Australia at Bachelor, Masters or Doctoral degree level and obtain a Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE) from the university, even though you are from a higher risk country (see our newsletter for Assessment Level), you will be assessed as Assessment Level 1, regardless of your country of origin.


This means that, although you still need to meet requirements for English-language proficiency and financial capacity as well as the genuine temporary entrant requirements, DIAC will require less evidentiary requirements and documents if you are eligible for this streamlined visa processing.


This change will apply to students who are lodging their applications on or after 24th March 2012.



Who will be eligible for streamlined processing?


- Bachelor degrees

- Masters degrees by coursework

- Masters degrees by research

- Doctoral degrees


- ELICOS and/or foundation and other preparatory courses, which are explicitly packaged with an eligible university course at the time when the offer of enrolment is made

- Semester or year long non-award courses at a university in Australia (as part of their home university's degree course and/or as part of an agreed student exchange between universities)

- 2 plus 2 (or 3 plus 1) arrangements with partner universities (Formal structured joint program undertaken through partner overseas and universities in Australia)


This implies that you won't be eligible for the streamlined processing if you are studying Diploma, Graduate Diploma or other associate degrees. However, you can still apply for a student visa for these courses under the existing arrangements.


If you are applying for a package of courses with an enabling course (e.g. prerequisite English language tuition, foundation or bridging course) followed by the main course (eligible course from a participating university), you will be still eligible for streamlined visa processing by providing a CoE in the enabling course and the main course when you lodge your application. However, you need to do an enabling course which is provided by the university or by their nominated education business partner.



Which universities are participating in the streamlined visa processing arrangements?




Universities that are participating in the streamlined visa processing arrangements would attract more students as most of their students can have their visa applications processed quickly by having less required documents.


The current list of universities cab be found on the DIAC web site but to save you some time you may click here.


Post-Study Work Visa


There is some positive news for students who will complete Bachelor or higher degrees. DIAC has made a proposal of introducing new post-study work visa, which is similar to current Skilled Graduate visa (Subclass 485). This is still a proposal and it is planned to come into effect in early 2013.



Who will be able to apply for the post-study work visa?


Certain graduates of an Australian Bachelor degree, Masters by coursework degree, Masters by research degree or Doctoral degree.


Although the full details are yet to be released, the changes are applicable to students who made their student visa applications after 5 November 2011. For those of you who made their applications or held their visas before this date the existing Graduate 485 visa will still be there to be used.



How long will the post-study work visa be valid?


- 2 years for graduates who have completed a Bachelor degree or Masters by coursework

- 3 years for graduates who have completed a Masters by research degree


- 4 years for graduates who have completed Doctoral degree




What are the requirements?


English language requirement is the same as for current 485 Graduate visa, which is IELTS result with a minimum score of 6 in each component. However, the major difference is that you are not required to nominate an occupation on the Skilled Occupation List or apply for a skills assessment.


You need to complete a degree mentioned above in the last 6 months before applying for the visa. The course needs to be registered on the CRICOS for a period of at least 2 academic years (92 weeks) and conducted in English.  If you are enrolled in courses packaged together with a Graduate Certificate or Graduate Diploma, you will not be eligible for this visa.


If you have already had a subclass 485 visa, you won't be able to apply for the post-study work visa. Or if you studied on other visas (not student visa), you won't be eligible either.


For students who are currently completing a Bachelor or higher level and applied for a student visa before 5 November 2011 and for those who are studying a degree like Diploma, you are still entitled to apply for the existing subclass 485 visa, which allows you to stay for 18 months.


For 485 visa, you will need to have a skills assessment for an occupation on the Skilled Occupation List which is relevant to your study.


Remember, Transitional Arrangements will end this year


Remember that the existing transitional arrangements will come to end on the 31st December 2012. Those students who are covered by these arrangements and wish to use the old SOL to apply for the Graduate Skilled 485 visa will only have until the end of this year to do so. After this year everyone who applies for the 485 visa will have to use the current SOL or the newer version if it is updated beforehand. To read about these arrangements click here.

Archives, some light reading

Bored? Nothing to do in the dead of night when you can`t sleep?


Try one of our historical newsletters to read, that will do the trick.


For our older newsletters they can be found on our web site through the following link;


For the recent ones using the new newsletter format, they can be found here;





If you would like to join the other 9500+ subscribers then click on this link to subscribe to our newsletter 

or the link on the right above the Editorial.

Kind regards,


Karl Konrad, Managing Director


Jee Eun HAN, Executive Manager     

Australian Immigration Law Services

MARN: 9904238, 0850073 

AILS stuff photo
 At Australian Immigration Law Services (AILS), we offer professional advice and practical solutions to all migration matters. Our team of licensed agents and consultants specialise in various areas of immigration law, such as skilled migration, business, family, and reviews.









DIAC tell us that only universities have a history of students doing the right according to their conditions on their students visas. They tell us these visitors spend more money and time in Australia than other educational institutions.


So one has to wonder, how does TAFE feel about that? Isn`t it also reputable government run organisation? Do international students at TAFE have a history of overstaying their visas or do they have bad habits of performing armed hold-ups during their off periods?


DIAC provides no statistical evidence to demonstrate that international students at universities in this country are better behaved than the vocational education sector, particularly, TAFE.


Could it be that universities receive large amounts of federal funding and the government simply wants to be sure that cash cows are herded into universities to keep the funding to a minimum? It wouldn't look too good if any these prime educational faculties went belly up it international students went elsewhere.


Given the acute shortage of trade occupation shortages in this country it is about time TAFE is recognized for its crucial role in providing much needed skills to this country. At least they should be given equal standing in the streamline processing arrangements which began this week.


As far as other private sector vocational schools go, well let them prove themselves worthy and they too should be rewarded by a streamline processing arrangement.




Karl Konrad

Managing Director 

Karl Konrad



Han Photo with Jacket
Executive Manager
Jee Eun Han





Australian Immigration Law Services  

phone: 61 2 92791991 | fax: 61 2 9279 1994
email: | website: 


 Level 13, 37 York Street Sydney NSW 2000

Disclaimer and Copyright

IMMIGRATION NEWS is intended to provide general information on migration issues and does not constitute legal advice and no responsibility is accepted by Australian Immigration Law Services (AILS) for the accuracy of material appearing in IMMIGRATION NEWS.


People seeking advice on migration law should seek advice from a registered migration agent
 and you should be aware that the law can change tomorrow without notice so you have the responsibility to keep up to date.
 The copyright of IMMIGRATION NEWS belongs to Australian Immigration Law Services (AILS) and no part of IMMIGRATION NEWS is to be reproduced by any means without the written consent of AILS. Australian Immigration Law Services is a trading name licensed to AILS INTERNATIONAL PTY LTD