Still Going Strong!
The team at BBCetc can only dream about being 25 years old again, but on the occasion of our 25th anniversary of service to Michigan entrepreneurs this month, we're doing cartwheels (read: patting each other on the back enthusiastically).
The company was founded as Biotechnology Business Consultants (BBC) in 1990 by Mickey Katz-Pek, who had previous been president of a University of Michigan spinout. Its original focus was on assisting early-stage Michigan life science companies with technology commercialization strategy and implementation. Managing partner, Lisa Kurek, joined the company in 1997, having spent 15 years in various roles in biomedical technology with both large corporations and small start-ups.
Over the years, BBC expanded and evolved adding consultants and technology expertise, expanding our geographic reach and developing a nationally recognized specialty in SBIR/STTR training and consulting across all 11 participating federal agencies. Reflecting this broader scope of services, BBC became BBC Entrepreneurial Training & Consulting (BBCetc) in June 2012.
In addition to serving as the state SBIR/STTR representative for Michigan, today BBCetc works across the U.S. (32 states in 2014!) assisting a wide range of clients from individual companies and entrepreneurs to universities, SBDC's and tech-based economic development organizations.
We continue to seek new ways to spread the word about the SBIR/STTR programs and help technology entrepreneurs compete effectively to cross the "Valley of Death" with this compelling source of funding. On behalf of the whole gang at BBCetc, heartfelt thanks to our many partner organizations and clients for making it possible for us to do what we love for 25 years!
DoD Solicitation is in Pre-Release - Talk to Your TPOC Now
DoD has pre-released its SBIR 2015.3
and STTR 2015.C
solicitations. Components offering topics for SBIR 15.3 are Army, Navy, Air Force, DARPA, MDA, and OSD. For STTR 15.C, CBD, DARPA, DLA, and MDA are offering topics.
During the pre-release period you are encouraged to contact the topic authors directly (contact information is listed with the topic) to ask technical questions about specific solicitation topics. Why is this important?
- The TPOC is often the author of the topic and so is most knowledgeable about its intent.
- During the 30-day pre-solicitation period, your conversation with the TPOC is private. Once that period is over, you can post questions - anonymously - to the SBIR/STTR Interactive Topic Information System (SITIS) for technical clarification only, but your questions and responses will be public. (Conversely, you can gain information by monitoring the questions/answers of others, but the answers will likely be nowhere near what you can glean from a one-on-one conversation.).
- This is your opportunity to learn the parameters of the topic, ask technical questions, get clarification, and gauge whether and how well your technology meets the objective.
The DoD will begin accepting proposals on September 28, 2015 at 6:00 a.m. ET and will close to proposals on October 28, 2015 at 6:00 a.m. ET. Plan ahead and submit your proposal early to avoid heavy traffic on the site during the final week.
1. SBIR 15.3 and STTR 15.C Pre-release: August 27, 2015
2. SBIR 15.3 and STTR 15.C Open: September 28, 2015
3. SITIS Q&A Close: October 14, 2015
4. SBIR 15.3 and STTR 15.C Close: October 28, 2015
- Overview of program and components
- Working with DoD and Speaking Their Language
- DoD Proposal Preparation Essentials
- Commercialization Planning for DoD
- How to Prepare a Budget for Your DoD Proposal DoD
- Pre-award Assurances / When Do I Get the Money?
SBIR/STTR Overview and Proposal Prep for NSFSept. 14
- Hampton, VASept 15
- Norfolk, VA
SBIR/STTR 101 Intro & Overview
SBIR Commercialization PlanningSept 16
- Norfolk, VA
Commercialization for Early-Stage Companies
Proposal Prep for NSF
SBIR/STTR Overview and Proposal Prep Essentials for NIH, NSF & DoDSept 20
- Cleveland, OH
Proposal Prep for NIH
Webinars are 1-2 PM
Sep 17 - How to Prepare a Budget for SBIR/STTR Proposals
Sep 24 - What You Need to Know About Gov't. Audits
Oct 8 - QuickBooks & Compliance for SBIR/STTR Awardees
Oct 21 - Essentials of Commercialization
Closes Jan 5
Closes Oct. 8
Closes Oct. 19
DoD SBIR 15.3 / STTR 15.C
In pre-release. Opens Sep. 28; closes Oct. 28
| who we are
BBCetc is nationally recognized for its expertise in helping technology-based entrepreneurs win federal funding through the Small Business Innovation Research (SBIR) and Small Business Technology Transfer (STTR) programs and use it strategically to propel growth. BBCetc capabilities include:
>Commercialization Planning>Research Grant Assistance>SBIR/STTR Training
>Tech-Based Economic Development Programs
Copyright © 2015
BBC Entrepreneurial Training & Consulting, LLC