USO of NC Workshop:
"Understanding How to Recruit and Hire from NC's Military Installations"
Tuesday, March 15
8:00AM - Noon
Hickory Metro Convention Center
FREERSVP by Email
* Attends can receive HRCI and SHRM credit hours (4)
From 2015 through 2018, more than 78,000 active duty personnel are projected to separate from the military in North Carolina during the military drawdown from two major wars and the subsequent realignment of troop levels.
While not all of these separating personnel will seek employment in the state, this expected surge in separations could provide an opportunity for Catawba County businesses to hire and retain some of these skilled workers to meet our workforce needs. Many individuals who leave the military are still in their prime working age - more than 82 percent of the projected separations from 2015-2018 will be 30 or younger, and more than 96 percent will be no older than 40. Many also possess technical skills and soft skills including discipline and punctuality, the ability to follow instructions and work as part of a team, and experience working in a large, complex organization.
This event is geared specifically towards HR practitioners and the agenda will include:
- Military Culture - what are they used to, what are they looking for, what do they expect, how do we reach them, what is proper protocol on base, what do they bring to the table, what resumes look like, how military skills translate into civilian skills, PTSD fact and fiction, tax breaks for hiring the vets
- Successful strategies used by other companies
- How to reach the National Guard and Reserve members in our area and this different population
- How we can present our geographic region and jobs in a way that will get their attention at Fort Bragg? Camp Lejeune? Cherry Point?