Resilient Spring Greetings!
An excellent, just published report (2013) published in the 2nd Edition of Handbook of Resilience in Children, shares that the past four decades have seen "Four Waves of Research on Positive Adaptation in the Context of Adversity."
Read on for the highlights of each Wave, what Waves 3 and 4 mean for YOUR WORK, and access to the complete research report.
Details of the April 15 and 16 Resiliency Training Program Training of Trainers in sunny, warm (!) Los Angeles are also included below...
Don't miss the March 15 "Early Bird Registration Discount."
Details of the Four Waves of Resiliency Research and What they Mean for Your Work
"Resilience Processes in Development: Four Waves of Research on Positive Adaptation in the Context of Adversity" by Wright, Masten, and Narayan gives the best overview I have seen of where the research began and where it is going. The Waves are defined by these writers:
- ONE: "Around 1970 a group of pioneering researchers began to notice the phenomenon" of resiliency...which "led a revolution in thinking" away from just understanding "pathology and deficits."
- TWO: This wave expanded the understanding of resiliency and how it happens, focusing "on the transactions among individuals and the many systems" in their lives that promote or hinder resiliency.
- THREE: This wave, which we are all involved in now, focuses "on creating resilience by intervention[s]."
- FOUR: Just emerging...research with attention to genetic and biological (including brain development) processes involved in resiliency and "the ways systems interact to shape development."
Other notable points from this report include:
CLICK HERE TO READ THE ENTIRE REPORT
- Factors that are protective against stress/risk and factors that are promotive of healthy human development in all often overlap: Protective Factors and Promotive Factors are often synonymous.
- One example of this: Caring, respectful, attentive relationships both protect against the impact of adversity and also promote healthy human development.
- "Vulnerability" and "Resilience" occur across a continuum...i.e., no one has total, complete resilience or has no resilience: Resilience can wax and wane depending on the stressors and the strengths of protective/promotive conditions.
- Longitudinal studies on "high-risk teens" show that "only one is six became a troubled adult."
- Many "troubled adults" achieve an "eventual positive adaptation." Factors associated with this are both personal and environmental. Personal protective factors for adults who eventually "turn around" included, "developing personal resources, marrying a supportive partner, joining the armed forces to gain vocational skills...and "subsequent family planning." Environmental protective factors included "strong ties to work...supportive extended family and friendship networks or becoming a member of a church..."
Programs and Curricula like The Resiliency Workbook are part of Wave Three
The Resiliency Workbook: Bounce Back Stronger, Smarter and with Real Self-Esteem is an example of Wave Three Resiliency "Promotion." This involves taking all we know from the research to date and designing interventions that strengthen both personal and environmental protective/promotive factors.
This book could, in fact, also be called promotive of More Mental Health AND Resiliency Workbook!
THANK YOU for making The Resiliency Workbook # One on Amazon.com Read the 40 five-star reviews of this book -- and learn all the ways book reviewers have found this book is promotive of mental and emotional health...and resiliency.
ORDER THE RESILIENCY WORKBOOK BY CLICKING HERE
CLICK HERE TO READ REVIEWS
(Then purchase the book from us to get your FREE "Leader's Guide for The Resiliency Workbook.")
The Cutting Edge of Resiliency Research: Resiliency and the Brain
It is increasingly clear that promoting healthy brain development and sustaining healthy brains across the lifespan is crucial for maintaining resiliency.
One resiliency-building brain booster that has a wealth of research support is the power of movement...for healthy brain development in children and for maintaining healthy brains.
The American Academy of Pediatrics continues to issue strong statements about the importance of play, recess, and physical education is for children. The organization states that reductions in these areas, especially in schools, actually inteferes with healthy brain development. Thus, schools who cut P.E. and recess in the pursuit of increased test scores are actually hindering educational achievement rather than promoting it!
CLICK HERE FOR THE AMERICAN ACADEMY OF PEDIATRICS RECENT STATEMENT ABOUT THE CRUCIAL NEED FOR MOVEMENT TO DEVELOP CHILDREN'S BRAINS
Harvard Psychiatrist John Ratey declares, "Exercise is the single most powerful tool you have to optimize brain function."...
...and his work with educators across the country has produced astounding evidence of this.
One study over several years with 19,000 students in Naperville, IL showed the amazing power of an early morning P.E. class BEFORE any other classes of the schools day:
"The results attained by Phil Lawler and his associates in Naperville speak volumes. Gym class has transformed the student body of 19,000 into perhaps the fittest in the nation. Among one entire class of sophomores, only 3 percent were overweight, versus the national average of 30 percent. Their New P.E. program has also turned those students into some of the smartest in the nation. In 1999 Naperville's eighth graders were among some 230,000 students from around the world who took an international standards test called TIMSS (Trends in International Mathematics and Science Study), which evaluates knowledge of math and science. In recent years, students in China, Japan, and Singapore have outpaced American kids in these crucial subjects, but Naperville is the conspicuous exception: when its students took the TIMSS, they finished first in the world in science and sixth in math."
CLICK HERE TO GO TO RATEY'S WEBSITE AND LEARN MORE ABOUT THE NAPERVILLE "NEW P.E. PROGRAM"...& HOW TO OPTIMIZE THE BRAIN
"First, excercise optimizes your mind-set to improve alertness, attention, mood, and motivation;
"Second, it prepares and encourages nerve cells to bind to one another, which is the cellular basis for logging in new information; and
"Third, it spurs the development of new nerve cells from stem cells in the hippocampus."
Resiliency Training Promotes Mental Health Improvement, Academic and Life Success: BUY A QUANTITY OF OUR BOOKS & I WILL PROVIDE THIS TRAINING FREE...
...for your school district or organization. Presentation topics are listed on our website,www.resiliency.com, as well many rave reviews by educators, social service providers, and administrators.
One of my favorite comments is from Laurel Schmidt, author of Classroom Confidential: The 12 Secrets of Great Teachers and former Director of Pupil Services for Santa Monica, CA schools:
"Your trainings should be packed...Educators [and all helping professionals] should come by the busloads to learn what to do for everything that ails our kids."
READ REVIEWS THAT EXPLAIN THE BENEFITS OF RESILIENCY TRAINING BY CLICKING HERE
See a list of resiliency presentations by clicking here
JOIN US IN SUNNY L.A. APRIL 15 & 16 FOR THE RESILIENCY TRAINING PROGRAM TRAINING OF TRAINERS
JOIN US FOR the upcoming APRIL 15 & 16 Resiliency Training of Trainers near the beach in sunny Los Angeles (Marina del Rey)!
EARLY BIRD DISCOUNT OF $100 OFF IS AVAILABLE WITH REGISTRATION AND PAYMENT BY MARCH 15.
OR.....You can attend THIS ONE-OF-A-KIND TRAINING
IN SUNNY L.A. near the beach
...by purchasing 50 copies of Resiliency In
Action: Practical Ideas for Overcoming Risks and
Building Strengths in Youth, Families, and
Communities OR 100 copies of The Resiliency Workbook for your school or organization.
...REGISTER WITH PAYMENT BY MARCH 15
$100 OFF THE TUITION!
Many people who take my Resiliency Training of
Trainers become RESILIENCY TRAINERS
themselves, which I encourage everyone to do!
At the training, I give participants EVERYTHING
that I have used as a national and international
resiliency trainer for the
past 20 years. You get it all! And I HOPE you will
go into your community and do resiliency training--to
help children, schools, and families and to make
additional income, as well!
The April 15 & 16 Resiliency
Training Program will held at a conference center in a
beautiful hilltop location in sunny L.A. only two miles
from the airport, and near beautiful beaches.
1. how to move children & youth, families,
& organizations "from risk
2. how to best teach others how to
build resiliency and stay resilient (INCLUDING
3. how to incorporate resiliency strategies that will
improve all organizations
4. how to "sell" resiliency-building programs and
5. The research-based amazing connection
building school resiliency and ACADEMIC AND/OR
CLICK HERE FOR MORE INFORMATION/REGISTRATION (PDF file)
Celebrating Wave 3 and Wave 4 of Resiliency Research and Promotion!
Resiliency In Action