Happy, Resilient, 2013!
Improving mental health has taken center stage in the discussion about reducing violence, especially among young people. Strategies from the social science research on building resiliency are also optimum strategies for building mental health--for yourself, your children, and others you care about.
President Obama's initiative to improve school safety and mental health recognizes this connection! "Advancing Wellness and Resilience In Education" -- Project AWARE --is a cornerstone of his initiative.
READ ON TO LEARN THE RESILIENCY-BASED MENTAL HEALTH-BUILDING STRATEGIES...and to learn more about Project AWARE.
Details of the April 15 and 16 Resiliency Training Program Training of Trainers in sunny, warm (!) Los Angeles are also included below...
Why Building Resiliency Builds Mental Health
Have you built more mental health for yourself over the years? I know I certainly have!
The World Health Organization defines "mental health" as...
"... a state of well-being in which an individual realizes his or her own abilities, can cope with the normal stresses of life, can work productively and is able to make a contribution to his or her community. In this positive sense, mental health is the foundation for individual well-being and the effective functioning of a community."
Strategies to increase one's mental health are abundant in the resiliency research on how people overcome life's challenges, problems, and adversity. Simply fortifying each spoke of The Resiliency Wheel (SHOWN ABOVE) in your life (or in the lives of those you help) will undoubtedly increase mental health.
Here are more specific connections between building resiliency and building mental health:
CLICK HERE TO READ "THE RESILIENCY ROUTE TO AUTHENTIC SELF-ESTEEM"
- Positive/nurturing relationships are a foundation of resiliency...and research shows positively bonded people are happier and healthier.
- Engaging in altruism--giving to others--is another research-based resiliency builder. Such giving also improves mental health, according to extensive research on "the helpers high."
- Creating and maintaining healthy personal boundaries (a life-long learning for me) increases resiliency and mental health. In other words, knowing when and how to say "no" effectively--it's invaluable!
- Treating oneself and others with respect is another foundation of resiliency...and this includes the mental health boosting strategy of eliminating one's negative "self-talk."
- SEL (social and emotional learning), that includes appropriate mood management skills, self-motivation, developing empathy and compassion (for self and others) and making and keeping friends has a growing body of research literature that supports its power. Schools, in fact, with SEL programs show a significant increase in academic success.
- Overcoming one's Achilles Heel--that pattern or habit that pulls you down again and again is another resiliency and mental health booster.
- AND, developing authentic, strengths-based self-esteem (based on "The Resiliency Route to Authentic Self-Esteem") will also strengthen resiliency and mental health.
More, specific "how-tos" for all these strategies...
...are available in The Resiliency Workbook: Bounce Back Stronger, Smarter and with Real Self-Esteem.
This book could, in fact, also be called The Developing More Mental Health Workbook!
Read the 40 five-star reviews of this book at amazon.com -- and learn all the ways book reviewers have found this book builds mental and emotional health...and resiliency.
ORDER THE RESILIENCY WORKBOOK BY CLICKING HERE
CLICK HERE TO READ REVIEWS
(Then purchase the book from us to get your FREE "Leader's Guide for The Resiliency Workbook.")
The Federal Government has seen the research...
...which is why it is now highlighting the connection between building "wellness" and "resilience" in education.
The President's Project AWARE (Advancing Wellness and Resilience in Education) is part of his proposed 400 million dollars for funding more mental health/resiliency building services in schools, including counselors and other mental health professionals; improving school climate (strongly linked to reduced school violence in research); interventions to help with trauma and anxiety; conflict resolution programs; and "other school-based violence prevention."
CLICK HERE TO READ AN EXCELLENT SUMMARY OF THE PRESIDENT'S MENTAL HEALTH BOOSTING/VIOLENCE-REDUCING PROPOSALS
Resiliency Training Promotes Mental Health Improvement, Academic and Life Success, AND "True" Self-Esteem: BUY A QUANTITY OF OUR BOOKS & I WILL PROVIDE THIS TRAINING FREE...
...for your school district or organization. Presentation topics are listed on our website,www.resiliency.com, as well many rave reviews by educators, social service providers, and administrators.
One of my favorite comments is from Laurel Schmidt, author of Classroom Confidential: The 12 Secrets of Great Teachers and former Director of Pupil Services for Santa Monica, CA schools:
"Your trainings should be packed...Educators [and all helping professionals] should come by the busloads to learn what to do for everything that ails our kids."
READ REVIEWS THAT EXPLAIN THE BENEFITS OF RESILIENCY TRAINING BY CLICKING HERE
See a list of resiliency presentations by clicking here
JOIN US IN SUNNY L.A. APRIL 15 & 16 FOR THE RESILIENCY TRAINING PROGRAM TRAINING OF TRAINERS
JOIN US FOR the upcoming APRIL 15 & 16 Resiliency Training of Trainers near the beach in sunny Los Angeles (Marina del Rey)!
EARLY BIRD DISCOUNT OF $100 OFF IS AVAILABLE WITH REGISTRATION AND PAYMENT BY MARCH 15.
OR.....You can attend THIS ONE-OF-A-KIND TRAINING
IN SUNNY L.A. near the beach
...by purchasing 50 copies of Resiliency In
Action: Practical Ideas for Overcoming Risks and
Building Strengths in Youth, Families, and
Communities OR 100 copies of The Resiliency Workbook for your school or organization.
...REGISTER WITH PAYMENT BY MARCH 15
$100 OFF THE TUITION!
Many people who take my Resiliency Training of
Trainers become RESILIENCY TRAINERS
themselves, which I encourage everyone to do!
At the training, I give participants EVERYTHING
that I have used as a national and international
resiliency trainer for the
past 20 years. You get it all! And I HOPE you will
go into your community and do resiliency training--to
help children, schools, and families and to make
additional income, as well!
The April 15 & 16 Resiliency
Training Program will held at a conference center in a
beautiful hilltop location in sunny L.A. only two miles
from the airport, and near beautiful beaches.
1. how to move children & youth, families,
& organizations "from risk
2. how to best teach others how to
build resiliency and stay resilient (INCLUDING
3. how to incorporate resiliency strategies that will
improve all organizations
4. how to "sell" resiliency-building programs and
5. The research-based amazing connection
building school resiliency and ACADEMIC AND/OR
CLICK HERE FOR MORE INFORMATION/REGISTRATION (PDF file)
I hope you, too, will become an advocate for using research-based, resiliency-building strategies for improving resiliency AND mental health!
Resiliency In Action