I am a doctoral student at the Illinois School of Professional Psychology at Argosy University, Chicago. I am seeking participants for my Clinical Research Project (CRP), an academic requirement similar to a dissertation, which has received approval from the Institutional Review Board (Protocol #769).
My study is designed to investigate the perspectives of children of gay and lesbian parents on socially stigmatizing experiences. In effect, I am interested in hearing if the children of sexual minority parents feel they are at increased risk of being socially stigmatized and if that has been their experience. Furthering our understanding of the dynamics of social stigma, particularly those salient to sexual minority families, should enable practitioners and educators to properly identify how homophobic stigma manifests itself in various settings and make them better equipped to systematically address it.
I am passionate about concerns affecting youth, particularly those of marginalized groups, and am glad to see issues such as stigma, bullying and harassment receiving greater attention. I hope to make a valuable contribution to the growing research in this area.
You may qualify for this research if:
· You are the parent of a child enrolled in the third through tenth grades.
· You and your same-sex partner have raised your child from birth or an early age.
· Your child knows and understands about his/her parents' sexual orientation.
· You and your partner are generally open or out about your sexual orientation.
· You are willing to complete a parent questionnaire.
· Your child is willing to participate in a 60-90 minute interview.
Participation in this study will require about two hours of your time. No personal benefits from this study are promised or anticipated. No compensation will be provided.
If you are interested in participating in this project, please contact me at (773) 294 - 2407 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please forward this information to anyone you feel may have in interest in this project. You may also direct them towww.pitsavas.com/crp for a view of my advertisement flier.
Your help is greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time and consideration.
Nicole Pitsavas, M.A.
(773) 294 - 2407
* NOTE FROM SAFE SCHOOLS COALITION: We only forward this sort of research request to the listserv when we have researchers' assurances that their projects have been approved by their own university's Institutional Review Board process (to assure subjects' rights are protected). The researchers gave us this assurance.