Welcome to "@AAMGA"
A Newsletter Exclusively for AAMGA Members
In This Issue
R. C. Chaffin
The New Year is off to a very busy start with the AAMGA Board of Directors, Committees and Headquarters Staff hard at work on strategic planning, legislative issues, membership, upcoming meetings, educational opportunities and the 2013 Annual Meeting.
I hope you and your staff will take advantage of two very important upcoming events, the Automation Conference (March 2 - 5, 2013) in Scottsdale, AZ and University East (March 14 - 15, 2013) in Atlanta, GA. You will find all the information you need in this newsletter and on the AAMGA website, but I want to personally encourage you to attend and consider sending members of your staff to take advantage of the classes and the networking opportunities these two meetings will offer in the 1st Quarter.
Kudos to all of the Committee Chairs and Vice Chairs for their hard work this year. The "behind the scenes" hard work that goes on every week keeps the AAMGA moving forward in the Wholesale marketplace. A big "thank you" to all Committee members. Your time and thoughtful input are invaluable to our success as an Association.
Our goal is to continue to create opportunities for education and networking for all our members as well as opening the door for new people looking for an opportunity in our industry.
I would also like to thank our Associate Members for their support of our Association and our Committees. The Company talent we have working with our members has broadened our approached in everything from perpetuation, education and technology to how we should run our businesses. I encourage all our members to participate in Committee work. It is a great way to mentor and learn from each other about what is going on in the market place. Click here
to participate on one of the AAMGA's Committees.
"Commitment to Service" is the success behind our Association. I look forward to seeing you at the Automation Conference, University East and, of course, in New Orleans May 19 - 22, 2013, for our 87th Annual Meeting.
AAMGA Annual Meeting Update: Room Block is Open
The AAMGA is ready to celebrate its 87th annual meeting May 19-22, 2013 at the Marriott Hotel in New Orleans, Louisiana. The room block is now open to accept your hotel registrations. For Room Reservations, click here
for the AAMGA Annual Meeting Marriott New Orleans reservations page or call 1-877-622-3056.
Registration materials will be mailed to all members within the next two weeks.
We will be acknowledging the "Commitment to Service" of the men and women in our armed forces, as well as the contributions made by AAMGA members in service to their local communities and their nation. Meeting registration materials, as well as the meeting's landing page on the website will allow members to enter in their branch and years of service so we can recognize them at the Annual Meeting.
In addition, should you or your company be engaged in any of these types of service activities, please provide the details and any photographs to AAMGA Headquarters by sending an e-mail to email@example.com. We will be recognizing you as well.
Signed Copies of "It Worked for Me: In Life and Leadership"
Available for Purchase
General Colin Powell will provide the keynote address at the AAMGA's Opening Breakfast on Monday, May 20, 2013. He has agreed to sign copies of his latest book "It Worked for Me: In Life and Leadership," exclusively for AAMGA members. Watch for further details on the AAMGA's website.
Opening Reception to take Place at World War II Museum - Sunday, May 19, 2013
As a special treat for members and spouses, the AAMGA has arranged for the widely acclaimed Opening Reception of the Annual Meeting to take place at the new US Freedom Pavilion in the World War II Museum in New Orleans. The new Pavilion showcases many of the artifacts representing America's legendary production of airplanes, artillery, tanks and other equipment that helped fuel victory for the allies in World War II. Exhibited artifacts include a Boeing B-17 "Flying Fortress," an SBD Dauntless, a B-25 fuselage and the TBM Avenger. The expansive space also features elevated visitor "catwalks" for a dramatic view of the aircraft as well as LED screens, programmed with historical films and other presentations. For more details about the Museum, click here.
AAMGA University Golf Tournament Tees Off Sunday, May 19, 2013
Please also note in response to popular demand, and in order to allow more members the opportunity to participate, the annual AAMGA University Golf Tournament has been moved to Sunday morning, May 19, 2013 at the TPC Louisiana Golf Course.
More details about the golf tournament, as well as sponsorship opportunities, will be provided in the immediate future.
AAMGA Annual Meeting Sponsorships are now available!
Registration Now Open for AAMGA Automation Conference
The 2013 AAMGA Automation & Technology Conference "Bringing IT Together" moves to its West Coast venue at the Scottsdale Plaza Resort in Scottsdale, Arizona on March 2-5, 2013. Registration is now open. Please visit the landing page of the Conference by clicking here, to retrieve all of the details and additional information for attendees and vendors.
This year's Conference will include sessions focusing on:
Register today for this valuable Convention that will allow you to learn new solutions for everyday challenges, take advantage of new opportunities, meet with service providers and vendors who know and understand the wholesale insurance industry, as well as enjoying the chance to network with your colleagues.
- E&S Joint Working Group
- Disaster Recovery
- User Centric Cyber Security
- BYOD Implementation Strategy, and
- Various Panel Discussions
to see who is attending the Automation Conference.
to see who is exhibiting at the Automation Conference.
New Classes Scheduled for University East
The AAMGA's University East will be taking place March 14 & 15, 2013 on the campus of Georgia State University in Atlanta, GA. In conjunction with the AAMGA Distinguished Chair in Risk Management & Insurance, the AAMGA University will continue its charge of bringing relevant and important education and professional relevant classes to its members and, for the first time, will also allow members to invite their retail agents to accompany them to each of the sessions.
Classes will include:
- Introduction to the E & S Marketplace
- Coastal Underwriting
- Cyber Liability
- Introduction to Property Insurance
- The Effect of Catastrophes and Business Income & Ordinance or Law Claims
- Special Event & Event Cancellation Insurance
- Introduction to General Liability Insurance
- Intermediate Property Insurance: Specific Class Underwriting
- Program Business: Keys to Developing, Marketing & Managing
- Executive Panel
- Senior Leader Certificate Program: Strategic Imperatives for the Insurance Industry
- UFO Leadership Institute: Leading Your Enterprise Through Change
Determine which members of your staff and retail agents would best benefit from a networking with their respective colleagues and in elevating their competencies and skills in these important educational classes
Please click here
for the University East Landing Page which includes information on:
- Recently added Trucking 100 Agenda
- Guest and Student Registration forms
- Sponsorship Form
- Additional Buckhead area hotel options
And don't miss the early registration discount...register by February 1st and save 10%.
to see who is attending University East.
Board Candidates Announced
The AAMGA Board of Directors have nominated the following members to stand for election to the respective positions on the Board:
Eastern Region Director
Edward Dickerson, III
Tri-State General Insurance Agency, Ltd.
Charles McCloskey, Jr.
Ridgefield Park, NJ
Western Region Director
Bliss & Glennon
Redondo Beach, CA
AmWINS Brokerage of TX
Pursuant to the AAMGA Bylaws, the current Regional Senior Vice Presidents will be standing for election to the position of Incoming President, 2013-2014. The person elected will then become President of the AAMGA in 2014-2015. They are:
Hanover Excess & Surplus, CMGA
Gary Peterson, CIW
Chris-Leef Agency, CMGA
Shawnee Mission, KS
Ballots will be sent to all voting MGA member principals on March 8, 2013 and will need to be received in order to be counted on or before March 29, 2013. AAMGA Immediate Past President, Wayne Forest, Sr., of Forest Insurance Facilities in Metairie, LA will announce the results immediately thereafter.
Board Announces Peter J. Barrett as New Associate Director on the Board In accordance with the Association's Bylaws, the Board has announced the appointment of Peter J. Barrett, Chairman of Bell + Clements, to serve the next 3-year term as Associate Member Director.
Bell + Clements was founded in 1983 and has been a Lloyd's broker since 1987. The firm has offices in London, England; Reston, VA and Southampton, PA.
Thomas Mulligan, President & CEO of Western World Insurance Group in Franklin Lakes, NJ has served as one of the 2 Associate Directors on the Board for the last 3 years. His term will come to a conclusion in May 2013. At that time, Mr. Barrett will join Tom Kuzma, President & CEO of Nautilus Insurance Company in representing the Associate members on the AAMGA Board of Directors.
Board Recommends Removal of Regions from Bylaws
As part of its strategic planning meetings and discussions, the AAMGA Board has recommended removal of the Eastern and Western Region classifications from the Bylaws. The Mississippi River had served as the line of demarcation for the eastern and Western regions from which Directors of the Board are elected. There would be no change in the Board's composition. However, nominations would now allow the Board to focus on the most competent and committed candidates, as opposed to the region of the country in which they reside.
Members will now vote on whether to adopt the Board's recommendation.
MGA principals should watch their mailboxes in March for the AAMGA Election and Bylaw Amendment materials and return their ballots by March 29, 2013 to continue charting the course of the Association's important and exciting future.
Have You "Liked," "Followed," or Engaged with the AAMGA Yet?
The AAMGA's Facebook page debuted in January 2013, and is already getting a tremendous number of hits and compliments. We are moving news, photos, information, market developments of interest to the entire wholesale insurance community on to the site immediately as they occur and regularly.
Please share the site with your employees, colleagues and customers and, "Like" us so we can continue keeping you informed and engaged with the AAMGA.
You can also follow-us on Twitter and join the AAMGA
Community on LinkedIn by clicking on the hyper-links below.
Truck Underwriting Navigation Guide Available On-Line
Attention all Commercial Auto Underwriters! AAMGA member David Miller, CPCU at the W.A. Schikendanz Agency, CMGA has prepared the "Trucking Navigation Guide."
Click on the link to download the Trucking Navigation Guide for access to the full version and keep it handy as a resource to understand the requirements of underwriting trucking risks successfully and ethically. Feel free to share it with your Commercial Auto team and your retail producers.
A.M. Best & AAMGA Host Multigenerational Webinar
AAMGA's Education Director Jeff Henry recently partnered with A.M. Best to convene a group of industry representatives to discuss the issues associated with today's multi-generational workforce.
Insurance associations and companies regularly warn of a growing shortage of talented younger executive candidates. The problem is particularly acute in smaller insurance organizations and among those that concentrate on more sophisticated areas of coverage. The webinar was broadcast this past week, and is archived for viewing here.
The Panel discussed how companies are finding new ways to identify and attract incoming insurance talent, what it takes to bring future standouts up to speed, and why some stay and others leave.
The AAMGA Needs You
The Association's future leaders are helping to shape the course of the AAMGA today. You can join them. Work with other wholesale insurance professionals by serving on one of the committees charged with focusing on strategic objectives in the areas of responsibility assigned to member experts which comprise each group. The Standing Committees are:
If you have ever wanted to be part of the inner-workings of the Association, please consider committee service. Click here to participate on one of the AAMGA's Committees.
Meet the Industry Masters
The World will soon be watching the best golf professionals compete for top honors at the Augusta National Golf Club, April 8-14, 2013.
Did you know the Wholesale Insurance Market also has bestowed "master" status to those within its ranks having achieved the Certified Insurance Wholesaler designation from the AAMGA University? You can join them. Learn more about how you can earn the added respect for your increased capabilities by completing the requirements to receive the CIW designation by clicking here.
to download the CIW Designation Application
to download the CIW Final Project GuidelinesCurrent Certified Insurance Wholesalers (CIW)
AAMGA members that have achieved the coveted designation of Certified Insurance Wholesalers are:
- Scott M. Anderson, CIW, Concorde General Agency, Inc.
- Lyle Ashley, CIW, Ashley General Agency LLC
- Elaine Barrow, CIW, Johnson & Johnson, Inc., CMGA
- Jon C. Barton, CIW, Surplus Line Managers, CMGA
- Thomas Berry, CIC, CIW, Scobie Group West Des Moines, CMGA
- Kurt C. Bingeman, CIW, Russell Bond & Co., Inc., CMGA
- John R. Black, CIW, W. E. Love & Assoc., Inc. CMGA
- Tonya Burris, CPCU, ASLI, CIC, CIW, Johnson & Johnson, Inc., CMGA
- Edwin J. Calabrese, CIC, CIW, AAMGA Past President
- Vera Ellen Carter, CIW, AmWINS Transportation Underwriters, Inc., CMGA
- R. C. Chaffin, CIW, SeaCoast Underwriters, Inc., CMGA
- Shawn Chaffin, CIW, SeaCoast Underwriters, Inc., CMGA
- Rhonda Daugherty, CIW, Creative Underwriters Corporation / Creative
- Independence Corp., CMGA
- Brent Davis, CIW, Texas Specialty Underwriters
- Paul Davis, CIW, Texas Specialty Underwriters
- Charles T. Deering, CIW, Insurance House / Deering & Associates, CMGA
- Kerry P. Dillard, CIW, Bloss & Dillard, Inc., CMGA
- Wesley C. Duesenberg, Jr., CIW, Southern Insurance Underwriters, Inc., CMGA
- Tripp Duesenberg, CIW, Southern Insurance Underwriters, Inc., CMGA
- Helen Feygin, CIW, Metcom Excess, CMGA
- Wayne G. Forest, Sr., CIW, Forest Insurance Facilities, Inc., CMGA
- Danny Gendusa, CIW, RPS First Premium, CMGA
- Robert S. Giles, CIW, Scobie Group, CMGA
- Colleen Giles-Harris, CIW, CIC, Scobie Group, CMGA
- Anthony Glotzbach, CIW, Scobie Group New Albany, CMGA
- Preston H. Gough, Jr., CIW, Southern Cross Underwriters, CMGA
- James 'Flip' Hogan, Jr., CIW, AmWINS Transportation Underwriters, Inc., CMGA
- Joseph P. Hutelmyer, CIW, AmWINS Transportation Underwriters, Inc., CMGA
- Jim Kranzberg, CIW, Bell & Clements Ltd.
- Daisy Lasky, CIW, Green Mountain Agency, Inc., CMGA
- Edward Levy, CIW, Risk Placement Services, Inc.
- John H. Love, CIW, W. E. Love & Associates, Inc. CMGA
- Len LoVullo, CIW, LoVullo Associates, Inc., CMGA
- Rosemarie Marshall, CIW, AmWINS Brokerage of Texas
- Francis J. Mastowski, CIW, Jimcor Agency Inc. T/A Jimcor Agencies, CMGA
- Mark Maucere, CIW, AmWINS Transportation Underwriters, Inc., CMGA
- Vicki Minor, CIW, AmWINS Transportation Underwriters, Inc., CMGA
- Ronnie C. Moore, CIW, AAMGA Past President
- Eileen Muller, CIW, Maxum Indemnity Company
- Matthew Mundelius, CIW, Union General Ins. Services
- Gary Peterson, CIW, ASLI, Chris-Leef General Agency, CMGA
- Kevin Prast, CIW, Continental Agency Of Connecticut, Inc.
- Tom Rogan, CIW, AAMGA Past President
- Mark A. Rothert, CIW, Ron Rothert Insurance Services Inc., CMGA
- M. Thomas Ruke, Jr., CIC, CPIA, CIW, Insurance Business Consultants, Inc.
- James Ryan, CIW, Market Finders Insurance Corp., CMGA
- Ralph Sabbagh, CIW, ASLI, General Star Management Co.
- Robert A. Schneider, CIW, RPS Schneider, CMGA
- Peter B. Scobie, CIW, Scobie Group, CMGA
- Dar Setters, CIW, Creative Underwriters Corporation, CMGA
- Libby Smith, CIW, AmWINS Transportation Underwriters, Inc., CMGA
- Fred B. Steves, CIW, Myron F. Steves & Company, CMGA
- Kathy Suhm, CIW, Nautilus Insurance Group
- Coryn Thalmann, CIC, CIW, Jimcor Agency Inc. T/A Jimcor Agencies, CMGA
- Colin Wills, CIW, Bloss & Dillard, Inc., CMGA
- Brad F. Wood, CIW, ASLI, AU, Specialty Risk Associates, Inc., CMGA
- John F. Wood, III, CIW, CIC, Specialty Risk Associates, Inc., CMGA
- Gwen Young, CIW, Montpelier US Insurance Company
AAMGA History Books Available for Purchase
Every AAMGA member principal has received a free, hard bound copy of the Association's "Proud History-Bright Future: 1996-2012," history book earlier this year. We continue to receive requests for additional copies which can be ordered from AAMGA Headquarters for $20 per book. Consider sending the book to a member of your staff, customers and others who will be interested in reading about the Association's rich history.
Please click here for the form to order additional copies of the
AAMGA History book.
- March 2-5, 2013 - Automation & Technology Conference - Scottsdale, AZ
- March 14 - 15, 2013 - University East - Atlanta, GA
- May 19 - 22, 2013 - Annual Meeting - New Orleans, LA
- June 21 - 22, 2013 - Committee Day & Budget Planning - Chicago, IL
- August 15 - 16, 2013 - University West - Scottsdale, AZ
- September 12 - 14, 2013 - Under Forty Organization Annual Meeting - Rockport, ME
The AAMGA Wants to Hear From You!
You've heard from us - now it's your turn. We love feedback, so please let us know your thoughts on this issue of @AAMGA. Did you like it? Were the articles of interest and value to you? Is the newsletter too long, too short, or just about right? Do you have any suggestions on articles or issues you'd like to hear more about? We're already planning the next issues, so please let us incorporate your ideas. Just like the AAMGA and its members, @AAMGA is getting better all the time. Direct your comments or questions to Bernie Heinze, AAMGA Executive Director at firstname.lastname@example.org.