Call for Nominations for
the AEA Board of Directors
Deadline: Friday, March 29, 2013
Show your commitment to the value of the American Evaluation Association and help to shape its future! This year we will elect a President-elect, a Treasurer, and three Board Members-at-Large. You may nominate yourself or someone else. Nominating candidates for office is a valuable service to the Association and your thoughtful participation in this process will be greatly appreciated.
Qualifications and Time Commitment:
Only AEA members may serve on the AEA Board of Directors or as officers. The President-elect serves as President-elect in the first year, becomes President in the second year and serves as Past-president and Secretary in the third year of his or her term. The President-elect, Treasurer, and Board Members-at-Large all will serve three-year terms, beginning January 1, 2014, and will attend three in-person Board meetings each year, as well as multiple, approximately monthly, phone-based meetings.
Expenses for in-person Board meetings not held in conjunction with the annual conference are fully reimbursed. Reimbursement for Board meetings that coincide with the annual conference is limited to the additional hotel nights needed to attend the Board meeting, as it is assumed that Board members would already be traveling to the conference.
Each Board member regularly participates in the work of the Board through attendance at Board meetings, ongoing email exchange, and participation on Board Task Forces or other Board-focused volunteer groups.
When reviewing nominations for candidates, the Elections Working Group considers the following information:
- The individual's previous service to AEA and leadership in AEA,
- The individual's contributions and service to the evaluation profession in other ways, and
- The individual's availability and accessibility (see below).
Proposed candidates must agree to be available for Board work during their term. More specifically, each candidate will be asked to sign a letter of agreement stipulating his or her:
- Availability and willingness to attend three in-person Board meetings each year of the three-year term,
- Availability and accessibility by phone for periodic Board conference calls during the three-year term,
- Understanding that he or she is not eligible to receive an AEA-sponsored award during the three-year term,
- Agreement to abide by AEA Governance Policies related to responsibilities of the Board member.
Due to legal, financial, and organizational requirements, in addition to the above conditions, nominees for Treasurer and President-elect must agree to (1) undergo a credit check prior to being placed on the ballot, and (2) reside in the United States throughout the three-year term if elected. Nominees for President-elect should recognize that this role requires a great deal of time, creative energy and focus.
AEA and the Elections Working Group are committed to nourishing and establishing diversity in the governance of the association. As stated in the AEA bylaws, "It is the policy of the American Evaluation Association to actively seek diversity across the Board and all committees, task forces, and other advisory groups, and individuals." Particular attention is paid to the following criteria:
- Gender, sexual orientation, and gender identity balance
- Racial/ethnic representation
- Disciplinary heterogeneity
- Practitioner/academic balance
- Geographic heterogeneity
- International representation
- Heterogeneity of areas of application
The first step in achieving this diversity is the nominations process. To help AEA succeed in fulfilling this vital charge, we encourage members to think broadly and to consider candidates both within the United States and abroad.
View current Board composition at
The Submission Process:
All nominations should be sent as a single packet, or single emailed file, to the AEA office so that they arrive on or before Friday, March 29, 2013. Each nomination should contain:
- Nominee Identification and Contact Information: Name, Title, Affiliation, Landmail Address, Email, Phone, Gender, ethnicity, Discipline, Practitioner and/or Academic Focus, Geographic Representation, Area(s) of Work Application.
- Nominee Statement: A brief statement from the nominee indicating a) his or her interest in serving, b) the Board position he or she is seeking (President-elect, Treasurer, or Board Member-at-Large), and c) any special qualifications.
- Nominee Qualifications: An abbreviated (1-2 page) Curriculum Vitae or Résumé.
- (If not self-nominated) Nomination Statement: A brief statement from the nominator attesting to the nominee's qualifications.
- (If not self-nominated) Nominator Identification and Contact Information: Name, Title, Affiliation, Landmail Address, Email, Phone.
Nominations may include up to 5 letters of support sent with the packet or under separate cover. However, these also need to arrive on or before Friday, March 29, 2013. Send all materials via email to [email protected] or via landmail to AEA, 16 Sconticut Neck Rd #290, Fairhaven MA 02719.
The bylaws require the Elections Working Group, with Board approval, to submit to the membership the names of only two candidates for each open position. There is no guarantee that a nominee will be placed on the ballot. If you are nominating someone, please make the nominee aware of this fact.
The bylaws also allow for an alternate approach to the nominations process via petition. Any nominee who petitions for inclusion on the candidate slate for the Board, including President and Treasurer, must have the support of at least 1% of the current membership. This support can be demonstrated in electronic (e.g., email) or hard copy form, as long as the information can be recorded and documented in a physical manner. Individual letters in support of a petition may not be sent to the AEA office; rather, it is the responsibility of the nominator to collect and compile the letters and to submit them as a single set in a single file. The petition and supporting letters must be received in the AEA office, for forwarding to the Elections Working Group, on or before the Friday, March 29, 2013 deadline for nominations.
If you have questions about the submissions process or need assistance in compiling materials, please contact the 2013 Nominations Working Group Chair, Tarek Azzam, via email at [email protected]. If you have questions about elections, please contact the 2013 Elections Working Group Chair, Todd Franke, via email at [email protected]. And thank you for participating in the life of the Association.
American Evaluation Association