IASWCD to recognize conservation accomplishments at Jan. 8 awards banquet
Indianapolis -- The Indiana Association of Soil and Water Conservation Districts (IASWCD) will recognize conservation accomplishments in six categories next week.
The IASWCD's 2013 Annual Conference of Indiana Soil and Water Conservation Districts is the backdrop for the January 8th Conservation Awards Banquet. Over 400 natural resource specialists will be on hand as six prestigious awards are presented in the categories of:
- Supervisor of the Year: presented to a county Soil and Water Conservation District supervisor for their outstanding and exemplary achievements and leadership in the protection and enhancement of Indiana's soil and water resources. Winner to be announced.
- Friend of Conservation: presented in three categories: corporate, non-profit and individual. This award recognizes individuals or entities who have made an outstanding contribution to soil and water conservation in Indiana. The winners are:
- Corporate: Duke Energy, Cayuga Station, Vermillion County
- Nonprofit: Friends of the Middle Fork Steering Committee, Wayne County
- Individual: Allen and Peggy Royer, Putnam County Soil and Water Conservation District
- Conservation Farmer of the Year: presented to a Soil and Water Conservation District member. It honors a Hoosier farmer who actively incorporates and practices conservation on the land. The winner is:
- Larry Huffmeyer, Ripley County Soil and Water Conservation District
- District Showcase of the Year: Presented to three Soil and Water Conservation Districts for 2012. The Award showcases how local Districts are partnering with traditional and nontraditional groups, businesses, governmental agencies, local officials and volunteers to achieve their conservation goals. The winners are:
- Clark County Soil and Water Conservation District
- LaPorte County Soil and Water Conservation District
- Vermillion County Soil and Water Conservation District
- Star Awards: Presented by the Indiana District Employee Association to four Soil and Water Conservation District staff for their outstanding work serving constituents and conservation partners in 2012. The winners are:
- Cheryl Jarrett, Huntington County Soil and Water Conservation District
- Cheryl Furnish, Switzerland County Soil and Water Conservation District
- Judy Benochea, Sullivan County Soil and Water Conservation District
- Radius Weisman, Dubois County Soil and Water Conservation District
- Earth Team: Presented by the USDA Natural Resources Conservation Service to the Washington County Soil and Water Conservation District and volunteers for 2012 conservation volunteer work at the local level.
The three-day Annual Conference convenes Monday, January 7, with author Scott Russell Sanders, a retired IU professor, discussing "From Consumption to Conservation," at the Indianapolis Marriott Downtown. The theme for the conference is the Power of Conservation: Today's Action's, Tomorrow's Rewards.
Also on tap for Tuesday January 8, Otto Doering, director of Purdue University's Climate Change Research Center, will talk about "Extreme Weather, Climate Change, and Building Resilience into Our Future."
State Rep. Mike Karickhoff, Dist. 30.
The conference concludes on Wednesday, January 9, with State Representative Mike Karickhoff, District 30 (Howard County), addressing the group's Legislative Breakfast at 7:30 a.m.
The complete agenda is available in the conference brochure. Registration and other information on the conference is available online, or check onsite at the registration desk that will be located on the second floor of the Indianapolis Marriott, 350 W. Maryland, Indianapolis, 46225 (not the JW Marriott).
# # #
For additional information contact:
Indiana Association of Soil & Water Conservation Districts
President: Ray McCormick, Knox Co.
Vice President: Jeff Meinders, Ripley Co.
Secretary: Paul Cummings, Owen Co.
Treasurer: Jamie Scott, Kosciusko Co.
North-NW: Larry Strole, Newton Co.
South-NW: Mike Starkey, Hendricks Co.
North-NE: Tom Crowe, Allen Co.
South-NE: Bobby Hettmansperger, Wabash Co.
North-SW: Les Zimmerman, Vermillion Co.
South-SW: Jim Droege, Posey Co.
North-SE: Mike Schwab, Franklin Co.
South-SE: Brad Ponsler, Jennings Co.