kid valentine's

MSB Vermont Newsletter | February 2013



Social Media

Like us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter

Get in Touch with Us

Mail: MSB

97 High Street

Somersworth, NH 03878






Customer Care Phone:



Give Us Feedback:

Click here

Out and About
SC at VCSEA Conference 12/2012
Steve Courter at the VCSEA Conference

Lake Champlain
Burlington looking over Lake Champlain

Adirondacks from VT
The Adirondacks looking from VT

Director's Corner
Rebecca & Daughter
Rebecca & one of her daughters
Rebecca Martin, Director of Operations


Who doesn't get excited when the new year rolls around and we get to make our list for the new and improved "me"? We're inspired, we're motivated, it's a new beginning!


The reality is that only 8% of people who make New Year's resolutions are actually successful in keeping them. Why is this?

  1. Often times the resolutions are seen as "punishments" for our bad behavior. Chances are we are not going to follow through with something that is already viewed in our minds as unpleasant.
  2. We also tend to set goals that are unrealistic. "No more junk food", "I'm going to work out every day", "No more spending money on anything but bills". The likelihood of us meeting these types of goals is slim to none.
  3. We expect perfection. Hmmm.....

Why as adults do we set ourselves up for failure? If we applied the same principles and standards we set for ourselves, in the school setting for our children, the results would be disastrous.  We must lead by example. We must be understanding, patient, realistic and kind with ourselves.


Only then can we truly achieve personal success and in turn, be the people we want our children to follow and emulate.  

HOT TOPIC: Is Transportation billable?


Transportation is not a billable service.  If a student is receiving 1:1 personal care and the personal care aide rides the bus with the student, then the time the aide rides the bus when the student is present can be included in the personal care hours. Please note that in order for the personal care hours to be billable, the aide cannot be the one driving the student, and the IEP cannot simply state transportation, it must indicate that the student's needs necessitate a personal care aide to ride the bus with the student.


The most common issues auditors find are:

  1. The IEP only lists "transportation"
  2. Providers include the time they are on the bus without the child in their total hours
Things to Watch for


Required Documentation to bill SLP at the Professional Level


The following is the definition of Speech, Hearing and Language Service based on the approved Medicaid State Plan:


"Evaluation and treatment services related to speech, hearing or language disorders, which result in communication disabilities.  Services are performed by or under the direction of a speech-language pathologist or audiologist who has a certificate of clinical competence from the American Speech and Hearing Association, or who has the equivalent education and work experience to qualify for the certificate."


Based on the above definition the following documentation is required to bill a provider as a professional for SLP services, or for a provider to sign a documentation log as supervisor.


  • A current or expired Certificate of Clinical Competency (CCC) from the American Speech and Hearing Association (ASHA)
  • The Vermont Clinical Speech License AND a copy of proof of the Clinical Fellowship year
    • Note: Although a Vermont Clinical Speech License typically means that the fellowship year has been completed, some SLP's were grandfathered into the license without the fellowship year.  As there is no way to tell by looking at the license if the individual completed their fellowship year, proof of fellowship year is required.
  • The Provisional Vermont Clinical Speech License
    • Note: A provisional clinical license is issued when an individual is in the process of completing their fellowship year.  As a result additional paperwork proving fellowship year is not required.  If an SLP has a provisional clinical license and then is issued a full clinical license, a copy of the provisional clinical license is sufficient to prove the clinical fellowship year was completed.

In order for an SLP to bill for case management or sign as a professional on a Developmental and Assistive Therapy log, the 6-84 education endorsement code must appear on the Clinical SLP license.



The IFSP (Infant Family Service Plan) for children aged 0-3 has recently changed.  The plan is now called a One Plan.  The IEP and Evaluation Claim forms will be updated for the FY14 to reflect the change in name from IFSP to One Plan.



On January 1, 2013 the Department of Education became the Agency of Education.  All documents, including documentation logs, will be updated to reflect this name change.

Maximizing Reimbursements


Three ways a district can maximize their Medicaid Reimbursements:

  • Obtain Release of Information forms for new students enrolled in Vermont Medicaid and who receive special education services as outlined in an IEP.
  • Submit a 3-year Special Education Reevaluation (Pink Form) and an Annual IEP (Blue form) for IEP development for every Medicaid eligible recipient ages three through twenty-one. 
  • Progress notes submitted quarterly or that coincide with the school marking periods for all RELATED services. 
If you have any questions or wish to schedule a district training regarding School-Based Health Services Program or Adori ™ (Special Education Management), please contact a member of your Vermont team:

Steve Courter, Director of Client and Business Services  
Kelly Bilodeau, Claims Analyst
800.618.3111 x106