Join the ID Community
Dr. Jamie P. Morano
We are excited to have Dr. Morano
join our team of 20
full time faculty!
Congratulations to our graduating fellows!
On June 6th, we celebrated the graduation of our four, Class of 2013 fellows from the USF ID Fellowship program.
|Pictured left to right: Drs. Douglas Holt, Pamela Damisse Noel, Todd Wills, Phuong Nguyen, Patrick Kenney, and Christine Ayarza. |
All of our graduating fellows will be entering private practice in Florida:
- Christine Ayarza MD, Fort Myers
- Pamela Damisse Noel MD, Tampa
- Patrick Kenney DO, Fort Lauderdale
- Phuong Nguyen MD, Boynton Beach
On July 1st, we welcomed five new fellows into the USF ID Fellowship program:
- Ileana Acevedo, MD
- Jane Mai, MD MPH
- Suganya Manivannan, MD
- Lysenia Mojica, MD
- Jeniffer Torres-Velazco, MD
Uniquely, all of our incoming, first year fellows completed their residency at USF. The USF ID Fellowship program is the largest in the state of Florida, and we currently have 11 fellows for the 2013-2014 class.
Fellows class 2013-2014. Pictured left to right (back): Drs. Joe Halliday, Rey Rivera, Mitsuya Katayama, and Jane Mai. Front: Drs. Lysenia Mojica, Jeniffer Torres-Velazco, Ileana Acevedo, Lily Jones, Nancy Rihana, Suganya Manivannan, and Vivian Vega.
For more information on the USF ID Fellowship program, visit our Fellowship page or contact Tammy Grice, our Education Coordinator, at: email@example.com.
Interested in supporting the mission of USF ID? In May, we created a new web page that lists our current funds and provides a secure method to make a gift through the USF Unstoppable campaign. Click here to check it out!
Dr. Douglas Holt
On July 3rd, Dr. Douglas Holt
appeared on a Bay News 9 segment about reports of Legionnaires' disease (a severe form of bacterial pneumonia) in individuals living at a local retirement center. Dr. Holt
discussed symptoms, sources of infection, and treatment options. Click here
to read more!
appointed Director of the Polk County Health Department (PCHD). Dr. Choe
is an Assistant Professor with USF ID
and had been serving as the Interim Director for PCHD since November, 2012.
In June, The Ledger
featured an article on Dr. Choe's transition to PCHD Director, personal background,
interests, and achievements. Click here
to read the article.
Dr. Richard Oehler
, co-founder of IDPodcasts.net
, recently received an Educational Excellence Award for Innovation in Teaching at the USF Morsani College of Medicine!
Since IDPodcasts.net first launched in 2007, it has garnered over 26,000 page views from individuals in 100 countries. Approximately 4,000 people have downloaded the IDPodcasts mobile apps since their initial release in 2010. Currently, the IDPodcasts YouTube channel, which was established in 2012, has 500 subscribers and over 88,000 views! So far, hundreds of thousands of people from countries across the world have benefited from these medical podcasts.
Dr. Oehler received this prestigious award at the USF Morsani College of Medicine commencement dinner for medical students on May 9th, 2013, where his dedication to teaching and innovative use of technology to advance medical care and education was celebrated.
Dr. Oehler receives one of only two Innovation in Teaching Awards and addresses medical students during his acceptance speech.
Click here to watch the "What is IDPodcasts?" welcome trailer!
Creative Education Models
Dr. Sandra Gompf
section on the current treatment of amoebic meningoencephalitis. Click here
to learn more.
Have you seen our featured podcasts
? USF ID
received a grant from Optimer pharmaceuticals to produce two podcasts for the support, diagnosis, and treatment of Clostridium difficile
infection. These two educational podcasts highlight the use of Fidaxomicin (Dificid) as a treatment agent. Click here
to watch the podcasts, recorded by USF ID
Assistant Professor, Dr. Sally Alrabaa
On July 9th, a new mobile app was released that focuses on the management of candidemia. Dr. Oehler
collaborated with Astellas, an anti-infective pharmaceutical company, to develop this free app, titled "Management of Candidemia in the Stewardship Era".
This app provides information on the identification, diagnosis, and management of candidemia in high risk patients. The app can be downloaded from iTunes and is compatible with the iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
to learn more or download the app on your device!
Want to watch IDPodcasts on your iPhone or iPad? Download the free app from the iTunes store by clicking here
! Version 2.2 was recently released and supports the following:
- Podcasts recorded after March 1, 2013 now stream over Wi-Fi/3G/4G, so you can enjoy our podcasts outside of WiFi enabled areas (standard data plan usage applies)
- iPhone 5, iPad, and iPad Mini retina display compatible
- Faster, higher quality, more reliable streaming, especially with 3G/4G connectivity
- Thumbnail enhancements
In June, USF ID
Assistant Professor Sally Alrabaa MD
, USF ID Associate Professor and Fellowship Program Director Todd Wills MD
, and graduating USF ID Fellow Pamela Damisse Noel
MD published a paper in the Consultant
, titled "Clostridium difficile Infection: What You Need to Know". Click here
to read the informative article which covers everything from historical perspective, economic impact, populations at increased risk of infection, mortality, diagnostic methods, to treatment and prevention methods.
Fellows are preparing for the 2013 ID Week, to be held in San Francisco, CA this fall. Our fellows worked hard to submit the following abstracts:
- An Elderly Man with Fever, Cough, and Anorexia after a Fall in the Shower (oral case report)*
- E. coli Bacteremia in Neutropenic Patients with Underlying Hematologic Malignancy
- The Role of Corticosteroid in Adult Respiratory Distress Syndrome Caused by Viridans Group Streptococci Bacteremia in Neutropenic Patients
- Nitazoxanide Treatment of Intestinal Cryptosporidiosis Following Hematopoietic Stem Cell Transplantation*
- Pulmonary Mycobacterium avium intracellulare in Women from an Oncology Center: A 15-year Retrospective Observational Study
- Necrotizing Pneumonia in Cancer Patients
- Rhinovirus Infection among Patients with Hematologic Malignancy*
- Surveillance of Macrolide and Clindamycin Resistance in Clinical Isolates of Beta-hemolytic Streptococci in Philadelphia*
- Risk Factors and Management Strategy of Disseminated Mycobacterium Marinum Infection with Bacteremia*
- Complications of Marijuana Use in Neutropenic Hematologic Malignant Patients
- Non-typhoidal Salmonella Infections in Cancer Patients
Approximately half of the abstracts submitted by our fellows were accepted (abstracts accepted marked with an asterisk *), and two of our second year fellows, Dr. Mitsuya Katayama and Dr. Lily Jones received travel grants!
Douglas A. Holt, MD FACP IDSA
Andor Szentivanyi Professor of Medicine
Director, USF Health Division of Infectious Disease & International Medicine
Director, Florida Department of Health - Hillsborough County