Canadian Simmental Association Enewsletter
It has been brought to our attention that CSA members have been receiving telemarketing calls from a company selling promotional material with the Simmental logo. In some instances they have stated that they had received the member's contact information from the CSA. Please note the CSA does not provide member or customer information to any organization, nor have we given permission to this company to use the official Simmental logo on these products.
CSA ANNOUNCES A NEW CORPORATE RELATIONSHIP WITH NEW HOLLAND AGRICULTURE
The Canadian Simmental Association is proud to announce a new corporate relationship with New Holland Agriculture. New Holland Agriculture has a long history of innovation in agriculture equipment and has been serving the needs of farmers and ranchers across North America for more than 110 years. New Holland is a Platinum Sponsor of the Beef Innovations 2013 Symposium, the YCSA National Classic and the Guelph Beef Innovations Field Day. They are also a contract advertiser in the Simmental Country Magazine and a supporter of other CSA promotion initiatives. We look forward to working with New Holland and building a relationship that will benefit both of our organizations.
BEEF INNOVATIONS 2013 - Register Now!
The 'Must Attend' Event for Cattle Breeders!
Early Bird Registration Deadline - Saturday June 15
Canadian Simmental is pleased to be hosting this exciting event July 15 & 16 at the Sheraton Cavalier in Calgary, Alberta. This is your chance to network with fellow leading cattle breeders from across Canada. The event promises to provide insight into the newest cattle breeding tools presented in a practical manner by world-renowned researchers, industry stakeholders and producers.
Register now to receive the early bird rate of $150 per person plus GST. After June 15 registration rate is $200 per person plus GST.
For a complete agenda and to register visit
BEEF INNOVATIONS 2013 is being held in conjunction with the CSA's Annual General Meeting and the YCSA's National Classic.
CANADIAN SIMMENTAL ASSOCIATION ANNUAL GENERAL MEETING
Join in the excitement - July 14 - 18, 2013
A week of celebration of the Simmental breed!
The Canadian Simmental Association invites it's members, their customers, our industry partners and cattle enthusiasts to celebrate the successes of the Simmental breed with us this summer. This week is filled with activities for everyone to enjoy.
The following are a few important dates to remember. Contact Margo Cartwright at firstname.lastname@example.org or (403) 250-5255 for any of the following bookings or events:
- June 15th - Beef Innovations 2013 - Early Bird Registration & YCSA Member Registration - Early Bird rate of $150 per person plus tax until June 15 and $200 per person plus tax after June 15. YCSA members can attend Beef Innovations 2013 at no charge if you register by June 15th. Register at http://www.simmentalinnovations.com/index.php/events
- June 15th - CSA Banquet Tickets - The CSA invites everyone attending Beef Innovations 2013, the CSA Annual General Meeting and the YCSA National Classic to the CSA Banquet and GSSF Auction being held on Tuesday, July 16th. There are a limited number of tickets available for this event. Contact Margo to reserve your banquet tickets.
- June 15th - Ranching in the Rockies Breeder Tour - Mader Ranches would like to invite everyone attending the week's activities to a Breeder Tour at Mader Ranches in Carstairs, AB the morning of July 17th, returning to the hotel prior to the CSA AGM. To participate in this tour or if you require transportation to Mader Ranch contact Ryley or Jill Mader at (403) 337-4014 or email@example.com
- June 21st - Hotel Room Reservations - A block of rooms has been set aside under the name of the Canadian Simmental Association at a group rate of $149.00/night. Guests are responsible for making their own reservations and must do so before June 21st to qualify for this rate.
Full Schedule of Events
- July 15 & 16 - Beef Innovations 2013
- July 16 - 6:00 pm CSA Banquet & Garth Sweet Simmental Foundation Auction
- July 17 - 8:00 am Ranching in the Rockies - Breeder Tour (transportation available)
- July 17 - 1:00 pm CSA AGM registration
- July 17 - 2:00 pm CSA Annual General Meeting
- July 16-18 - YCSA National Classic, Okotoks, AB
Sheraton Cavalier Calgary
2620 32nd Ave NE
Tel: (403) 291-0107
For more information visit the following websites or contact Margo Cartwright at firstname.lastname@example.org or (403) 250-5255:
CSA website www.simmental.com
Simmental Innovations www.simmentalinnovations.com
Garth Sweet Simmental Foundation www.garthsweetfoundation.com
GARTH SWEET SIMMENTAL FOUNDATION AUCTION - JULY 16, 2013
This year's Annual Garth Sweet Simmental Foundation Auction will be held on Tuesday evening, July 16th, in conjunction with the CSA AGM Banquet in Calgary, AB.
The feature lot, a selection of a Bred Heifer from the RPlus program has been donated by RPlus Simmentals, Estevan, SK. Thank you to the LeBlanc family for their generous donation and support of this auction.
A complete listing of auction items can be found on the CSA and GSSF websites.
Other items up for auction are:
- 4 Nights condo accommodations for two at the National Rodeo Finals in Vegas, donated by Bouchard Livestock International
- $100 Gift Certificate, donated by Ultra beef Ultrasounding
- Four Toronto Blue Jays tickets, donated by Bar 5 Stock Farm
- Four Toronto Maple Leafs tickets, donated by Bar 5 Stock Farm
- Two Edmonton Oilers tickets, donated by Lewis Farms
- SVS Captain Morgan 11Z Semen Package, donated by Double Bar D Farms
- KWA/FLYF Red Mountain Semen Package and Semen Tank, donated by Ashworth Farm & Ranch & Tessier Simmentals
- LRX The Godfather 141Z Semen Package, donated by Mader Ranches, Pioneer Simmentals & CanadianSires.com
- Sunny Valley Dakota Semen Package, donated by 5 Corner Cattle Co & CanadianSires.com
- Club Cadet Riding Peddle Tractor, donated by Selmac Sales
- Quilted Wall Hanging, donated by Pearson Simmentals
- Arbonne Basket, donated by Rebecca Beechinor
- Pencil Sketch, donated by Bill Peters
- Clipping & Fitting DVDs, donated by Stierwalt Cattle and Clinics
- Catalogue or Website Credit, donated by Today's Publishing
- Children's Riding Toy, donated by Martin Farm Equipment
- Children's Riding Toy, donated by Pentagon Farm Centre
- Photographing & Editing of pictures for 10 animals (value $450), donated by Heaven Photography
- "La Riata" Framed Western Print, donated by Transcon Livestock
- Artwork, donated by High Country Cattle Services & Neil Cattle
- Black XL Carhartt Jacket, donated by New Holland Agriculture
- Black XL Mens Leather Jacket (with Simmental logo), donated by Canadian Simmental Association
- Sterling Silver striploins, donated by Spring Creek Consulting
- Two Saskatchewan Roughriders tickets & signed Shologan jersey, donated by DLMS
- Custom Made Jewelry, donated by Designs by Shelagh
- Barnwood Mirror,donated by Mappin Simmentals
Donations are always welcome. If you have an item to donate, please contact Ken Lewis (780) 818-3829 or Deanne Young (780) 696-3643.
Funds raised are used to support CSA research and development projects, youth scholarships and the Young Canadian Simmental Association program. Thank you to all donators, bidders and buyers of the GSSF Auctions. It is because of your generous support that this event is such a great success.
For more information on the Garth Sweet Simmental Foundation Auction, contact Deanne Young (780) 696-3643..
For complete agenda and further details please visit www.simmental.com or www.garthsweetfoundation.com
Requesting SNP Tests (via Email or Fax)
We are very impressed how quickly our members have transitioned to the new DNA (SNP) testing procedures that were implemented November 15, 2012. We thank our members for their cooperation while we worked through these changes.
Just a reminder of our two (2) different types of SNP tests:
Therefore, for those of you that order SNP tests via email (or fax) please remember the following:
- GGP panel (Geneseek Genomic Profiler) ($ 45 + taxes) - required for ALL Natural Service Sire purposes in & proving parentage of animals born from a natural mating.
- 50K density panel ($ 90 + taxes) - the minimum requirement for all AI sires & Donor Dams. If a bull is used for AI purposes whether he is drawn at a Stud &/or for On Farm use he must be genotyped with a minimum of a 50K test. Calves tat are born as a result of an A.I. mating cannot be registered without this test being done.
Thank you for your attention to this important Registry matter.
- Specify the exact test type that you require for the animals you are sampling.
- Also, specify if you want the complete SNP kit mailed to you. Or, if you would prefer the SNP application form be emailed back to you to expedite the process and save on postage costs.
If you have moved or have an address change due to conversion from rural route to rural municipal addressing, please provide the Canadian Simmental Association with written notification to avoid delays in receipt of your CSA correspondence.
With the transition to SNP parentage and to use within our project work, the CSA is looking to test as many historical sires as possible. Many sires have already been tested, but there are many more that we still need to SNP test. Click Here to see the list of sires that are our highest priority that haven't been tested yet. If there are other animals which you would be willing to donate for testing please contact Jeff Hyatt at the CSA office or at email@example.com
If you are a Western Canada producer and have either fall born calvers or sell bulls to a commercial producer that has fall calvers, please contact Jeff Hyatt at the CSA office or at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Deadline for Queens of the Pasture Simmental Country: July 1st, 2013.
Queens of the Pasture Photo Contest
We are once again looking for a feature shot for the front cover of the Queens of the Pasture issue of the Simmental Country and are running our annual photo contest. So get out your cameras and start snapping those photos. The deadline for the contest is June 15, 2013. The winner of the photo contest will receive one free page of advertising in the Summer 2013 (June/July/Aug) Simmental Country and the winning photo will appear on the front cover. Send your photos to email@example.com
*Photos must be 8.5" x 11" at 300 dpi, and all photos submitted will become the property of the Simmental Country.
T BAR INVITATIONAL GOLF TOURNAMENT - June 25-26, 2013
to join TBarC on June 25th and 26th at Dakota Dunes Golf Links to be part of the 6th Annual T Bar Invitational Golf Tournament. This award winning, top ranked course is built for golfers of all skill levels.
The T Bar Invitational was formed to help make a positive impact on the future of our juniors. Since 2008, the tournament has grown tremendously, raising over $191,000.00 going directly to seven National junior breed associations representing over 2000 members. This will be applied towards the development of junior advancement. In 2013, 10% of the proceeds will once again be donated to the Canadian Western Agribition Junior Beef Extreme for the development and awareness of youth in the beef sector.
Enjoy the 18 holes of golf and their 2013 Guest Speaker - Myles Immerkar - Semex Global Beef Manager speaking on Global Beef Trends.
TBarC has a vast range of levels of involvement available and would be happy to help customize a package that is best suited to you and your company needs.
Visit the website at www.tbarinvitational.com
The Canadian Simmental Association and the Young Canadian Simmental Association would like to say Thank You to TBarC and their staff for their dedication to and support of youth associations across Canada.
BEEF 2013: INTERNATIONAL LIVESTOCK CONGRESS
Mark your calendar for ILC Beef 2013
Wednesday July 10, 2013
at the Deerfoot Inn & Casino,
1000, 11500 - 35 Street SE in Calgary, Alberta
This year's International Livestock Congress will showcase great speakers, and allow you to network with current and future Industry leaders. Hear discussions on:
- Sustaining Profitability
- Advancing Technologies
- Consumer Demands
- Risk Management
- Economic Outlook- Both Global and Local
- Food Safety Risks
To view our speaker line-up visit http://www.ilccalgary.com/html/speakers.html
The Canadian Simmental Association is a proud sponsor of the International Livestock Congress.
Hello Young Canadian Simmental Enthusiasts,
Summer 2013 is upon us and that means warm weather, calves are growing and Provincial and National YCSA Classics will be held all across the country! Our National Classic will start our summer season off in Okotoks, AB, July 16-18. All Youth, up to the age of 25 are welcome and can participate with or without cattle, as long as they are a YCSA member. If you are unable to make the National Show, there are classics all across the country. Please contact your provincial representative for more information on a show near you.
The Young Canadian Simmental Association is a strong group of enthusiastic juniors that are eager to become the future of the breed. All juniors experience the thrill of a show, educational opportunities within the industry, the potential of purebred breeder contacts and the meeting of new and enthusiastic juniors just like you.
Please check out the YCSA link at www.simmental.com for more information and entry forms for the National and Provincial Classics. You can also find Young Canadian Simmental Association on Facebook. "Like" us to keep up to date on everything Junior related.
We hope to see you this summer!
Tiffany Peters, YCSA President
YCSA Classics and Youth Events
Find an event near you and be part of the action.
Please know that even if you do not have cattle to exhibit there are plenty of other competitions to become involved in at these shows!
Entry forms are online at www.simmental.com
- Quebec Junior Beef Show, July 5-7, 2013, Brome, PQ, Contact: Krista Whalen - (819) 679-7964
- Saskatchewan YCSA Tiger Lily Classic, July 30-Aug 1, 2013, Prince Albert, SK, Contact: Tiffany Peters (306) 948-8044
- Alberta YCSA Wildrose National Classic, July 16-19, 2013, Okotoks, AB, Contact: Kolby Heaven (780) 778-1435
- American Junior Simmental Association Summit Leadership Conference, July 29-Aug 1, 2013 - Sillwater, OK, Contact: Emily Grey (819) 835-0284
- Manitoba Youth Beef Round Up, August 2-4, 2013 - Neepawa, MB, Contact: Emily Hickson (204) 570-1969
- Maritime YCSA Classic, August 22-24, 2013 - Truro, NS, Contact: Scott Gaunce (506) 227-4820
- Ontario Trillium Classic, November 7, 2013 - Toronto, ON, Contact: Danielle Sullivan (705) 872-2173
Look for us on Facebook under Young Canadian Simmental Association. Stay connected and be the first to know about upcoming events and opportunities.
Josie Larra Crawford
Congratulations to parents Jane & Reed, Riverpoint Cattle Company, and big sister Shelby on the birth of their little girl, Josie Larra. Josie was born June 2nd, weighing 8 lbs 8 ounces and 20" long.
Gracie Brooklyn Bohrson
Congratulations to first time parents, Scott and Rebecca Bohrson, Bohrson Marketing, on the birth of their daughter Gracie Brooklyn on May 30th weighing 7 lbs 1 oz, 21" long.
Please send any membership announcements to Margo Cartwright at firstname.lastname@example.org
|"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards."-- Vernon Sanders Law