Canadian Simmental Association Enewsletter
BEEF INNOVATIONS 2013 - Register Now!
Reduced CSA Member Registration - Until May 15
Save $50 per person!
Canadian Simmental is excited to be hosting BEEF INNOVATIONS 2013 an international genomics symposium being held at the Sheraton Cavalier in Calgary in conjunction with the CSA's Annual General Meeting and the YCSA's National Classic. This two day event being held July 15 & 16 will focus on providing information on genomic technologies to breeders and their customers.
Registration is now available and CSA members can receive a reduced registration rate of $100 per person plus tax until May 15, 2013 by contacting Margo Cartwright at firstname.lastname@example.org or 403.250.5255. After May 15, CSA members can register at the Early Bird rate of $150 per person plus tax until June 15 and $200 per person plus tax after June 15.
For a complete agenda of Beef Innovations 2013 please visit: http://www.simmentalinnovations.com/index.php/events
CANADIAN SIMMENTAL ASSOCIATION ANNUAL GENERAL MEETING
Join in the excitement - July 14 - 18, 2013
A week of celebration of the Simmental breed!
The Canadian Simmental Association would like to invite it's members, their customers, our industry partners and cattle enthusiasts to celebrate the successes of the Simmental breed with us this summer. This week is filled with activities for everyone to enjoy.
The following are a few important dates to remember. Contact Margo Cartwright at email@example.com or (403) 250-5255 for any of the following bookings or events:
- May 15th - Beef Innovations 2013 - Reduced CSA Member registration - Registration is now available and CSA members can receive a reduced registration rate of $100 per person plus tax until May 15, 2013. Register at http://www.simmentalinnovations.com/index.php/events
- June 15th - Beef Innovations 2013 - Early Bird Registration & YCSA Member Registration - Early Bird rate of $150 per person plus tax until June 15 and $200 per person plus tax after June 15. YCSA members can attend Beef Innovations 2013 at no charge if you register by June 15th. Register at http://www.simmentalinnovations.com/index.php/events
- June 15th - CSA Banquet Tickets - The CSA invites everyone attending Beef Innovations 2013, the CSA Annual General Meeting and the YCSA National Classic to the CSA Banquet and GSSF Auction being held on Tuesday, July 16th. There are a limited number of tickets available for this event. Contact Margo to reserve your banquet tickets.
- June 15th - Ranching in the Rockies Breeder Tour - Mader Ranches would like to invite everyone attending the week's activities to a Breeder Tour at Mader Ranches in Carstairs, AB the morning of July 17th, returning to the hotel prior to the CSA AGM. To participate in this tour or if you require transportation to Mader Ranch contact Ryley or Jill Mader at (403) 337-4014 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- June 21st - Hotel Room Reservations - A block of rooms has been set aside under the name of the Canadian Simmental Association at a group rate of $149.00/night. Guests are responsible for making their own reservations and must do so before June 21st to qualify for this rate.
Full Schedule of Events
- July 14 - Calgary Stampede Showdown Sunday
- July 15 & 16 - Beef Innovations 2013
- July 16 - 6:00 pm CSA Banquet & Garth Sweet Simmental Foundation Auction
- July 17 - 8:00 am Ranching in the Rockies - Breeder Tour (transportation available)
- July 17 - 1:00 pm CSA AGM registration
- July 17 - 2:00 pm CSA Annual General Meeting
- July 16-18 - YCSA National Classic, Okotoks, AB
Sheraton Cavalier Calgary
2620 32nd Ave NE
Tel: (403) 291-0107
For more information visit the following websites or contact Margo Cartwright at email@example.com or (403) 250-5255:
CSA website www.simmental.com
Simmental Innovations www.simmentalinnovations.com
Garth Sweet Simmental Foundation www.garthsweetfoundation.com
GARTH SWEET SIMMENTAL FOUNDATION AUCTION - JULY 16, 2013
This year's Annual Garth Sweet Simmental Foundation Auction will be held on Tuesday evening, July 16th, in conjunction with the CSA AGM Banquet in Calgary, AB.
The feature lot, a Bred Heifer has been donated by RPlus Simmentals, Estevan, SK. Thank you to the LeBlanc family for their generous donation and support of this auction.
Other items up for auction are:
- 4 Nights Condo Accommodations for two at the National Rodeo Finals in Vegas, donated by Bouchard Livestock International
- Gift Certificate, donated by Ultra beef Ultrasounding
- Four Blue Jays, donated by Bar 5 Stock Farm
- Four Toronto Maple Leafs Tickets, donated by Bar 5 Stock Farm
- Semen Package, donated by Mader Ranches
- Semen Package ad Semen Tank, donated by Ashworth Farm & Ranch
- Club Cadet Riding Peddle Tractor, donated by Selmac Sales
- Quilted Wall Hanging, donated by Pearson Simmentals
- Arbonne Basket, donated by Rebecca Beechinor
- Pencil Sketch, donated by Bill Peters
- Clipping & Fitting DVDs, donated by Stierwalt Cattle and Clinics
- Catalogue Credit, donated by Today's Publishing
- Children's Riding Toy, donated by Martin Farm Equipment
- Children's Riding Toy, donated by Pentagon Farm Centre
- Photographing & Editing of Pictures for 10 animals (value $450), donated by Heaven Photography
- Framed Print, donated by Transcon Livestock
- XL Carhartt Jacket (Black), donated by New Holland Agriculture
- XL Mens Leather Jacket (Black with Simmental logo), donated by Canadian Simmental Association
- Steaks, donated by Spring Creek Consulting
- Two Saskatchewan Roughriders Tickets & signed Shologan jersey, donated by DLMS
We are accepting donation* items for this year's auction. Donations are always welcome. If you have an item to donate, please contact Ken Lewis (780) 818-3829 or Deanne Young (780) 696-3643.
Funds raised are used to support CSA research and development projects, youth scholarships and the Young Canadian Simmental Association program. Thank you to all donators, bidders and buyers of the GSSF Auctions. It is because of your generous support that this event is such a great success.
*Donators of qualifying items will be issued an income tax receipt.
For more information on the Garth Sweet Simmental Foundation, contact Stewart Ainsworth, GSSF President at (780) 785-3136.
For complete agenda and further details please visit www.simmental.com or www.garthsweetfoundation.com
Maternal Upgrade Registration Requests
Just a friendly reminder to those members that require the CSA staff to enter Non-Simmental bulls into our Herd Book. This is the optimal time to submit these requests as the Registry staff have ample time to process the requests. The steps involved are as follows.
Percentage required for purebred status
- Please fax (or email) the Registration ID for the bull(s) that need to be entered.
- To avoid delays in the staff returning the unique CSA identification for these bulls, please ensure that you also include the Breeder Copy/DNA certificate. Important Note: If you were not the member that originally submitted the hair sample for the bull in question, you will have to attain permission from those parties (or the Breed Association staff) before we can complete the pedigree entry.
- Go to www.Simmental.com under Registry / Upgrading Table - for more information
Producers purchasing bulls from the United States or semen from American bulls should be aware of differences that exist between Canada and the United States in the percentage of Simmental required to qualify for purebred status. The Canadian Simmental Association requires a male to be 15/16 Simmental to reach purebred status while the American Simmental Association accepts males who are 7/8 Simmental or less by Canadian standards as purebred. As is regulated by the Federal government through the Animal Pedigree Act, it is the responsibility of the purchaser to ensure that these bulls meet the requirement of being 15/16 Simmental if they wish to register that animal in the Canadian Simmental herd book as a purebred.
Deadline for Queens of the Pasture Simmental Country: July 1st, 2013.
Queens of the Pasture Photo Contest
We are once again looking for a front cover for the Queens of the Pasture issue of the Simmental Country and are running our annual Photo Contest. So get out your cameras and start snapping those photos. The deadline for the contest is June 15, 2013. The winner of the photo contest will receive one free page of advertising in the Summer 2013 (June/July/Aug) Simmental Country and the winning photo will appear on the front cover. Send your photos to firstname.lastname@example.org
*Photos must be 8.5" x 11" at 300 dpi, and all photos submitted will become the property of the Simmental Country.
T BAR INVITATIONAL GOLF TOURNAMENT - June 25-26, 2013
to join TBarC on June 25th and 26th at Dakota Dunes Golf Links to be part of the 6th Annual T Bar Invitational Golf Tournament. This award winning, top ranked course is built for golfers of all skill levels.
The T Bar Invitational was formed to help make a positive impact on the future of our juniors. Since 2008, the tournament has grown tremendously, raising over $191,000.00 going directly to seven National junior breed associations representing over 2000 members. This will be applied towards the development of junior advancement. In 2013, 10% of the proceeds will once again be donated to the Canadian Western Agribition Junior Beef Extreme for the development and awareness of youth in the beef sector.
Enjoy the 18 holes of golf and their 2013 Guest Speaker - Myles Immerkar - Semex Global Beef Manager speaking on Global Beef Trends.
TBarC has a vast range of levels of involvement available and would be happy to help customize a package that is best suited to you and your company needs.
Visit the website at www.tbarinvitational.com
The Canadian Simmental Association and the Young Canadian Simmental Association would like to say Thank You to TBarC and their staff for their dedication to and support of youth associations across Canada.
BEEF 2013: INTERNATIONAL LIVESTOCK CONGRESS
Mark your calendar for ILC Beef 2013
Wednesday July 10, 2013
at the Deerfoot Inn & Casino,
1000, 11500 - 35 Street SE in Calgary, Alberta
The early bird catches the worm!
Early Bird registration rates are in effect until May 24, 2013.
Come and attend BEEF 2013 and hear the excellent line up of expert speakers covering topics from industry and global economy, research, food safety, and retail perspectives.
For more information and to register visit www.ilccalgary.com
Being that BEEF 2013 is being held at the same time as the Calgary Stampede, there are no more rooms available at the Deerfoot Inn & Casino. However, we have a block of rooms available at the sister hotel, Service Plus Inns & Suites, right across the street from the Deerfoot Inn & Casino at a great rate of $189.00 plus taxes. If you will need hotel accommodations, book your room before they book up at the Service Plus Inns & Suites by calling 403-236-7529. When you book, tell them you are with ILC and the reservations booking code is GKYILC3. By giving this code, you will receive the special conference rate. Service Plus Inns & Suites, 3503-114 Ave SE, Calgary, AB, T2Z 3X2 www.serviceplusinns.com.
The Canadian Simmental Association is a proud sponsor of the International Livestock Congress.
National Classic Announcement
The Alberta Young Simmental Association is proud to be hosting the 2013 National YCSA Classic on July 16-18th. The Classic will be held in conjunction with the 2013 Canadian Simmental Association Annual General Meeting. Please visit our YCSA website and Facebook page for the latest information. This will be a great opportunity for some friendly competition, meeting new friends and learning new things.
YCSA Classics and Youth Events
Find an event near you and be part of the action.
- Quebec Junior Beef Show, July 5-7, 2013, Brome, PQ, Contact: Krista Whalen - (819) 679-7964
- Saskatchewan YCSA Tiger Lily Classic, July 30-Aug 1, 2013, Prince Albert, SK, Contact: Tiffany Peters (306) 948-8044
- Alberta YCSA Wildrose National Classic, July 16-19, 2013, Okotoks, AB, Contact: Kolby Heaven (780) 778-1435
- American Junior Simmental Association Summit Leadership Conference, July 29-Aug 1, 2013 - Sillwater, OK, Contact: Emily Grey (819) 835-0284
- Manitoba Youth Beef Round Up, August 2-4, 2013 - Neepawa, MB, Contact: Emily Hickson (204) 570-1969
- Maritime YCSA Classic, August 22-24, 2013 - Truro, NS, Contact: Scott Gaunce (506) 227-4820
- Ontario Trillium Classic, November 7, 2013 - Toronto, ON, Contact: Danielle Sullivan (705) 872-2173
Entry forms are online at www.simmental.com
Agricultural Youth Engagement Foundation presents the 2013 Agriculture - Count It Farm Education Workshop
YCSA members have been invited to participate in the Agriculture Youth Engagement Foundation conference to be held in Red Deer, AB, Saturday June 8, 2013. The purpose of the conference is to bring together youth from across Canada and around the world and provide them with the tools they will require to be successful. It's a great opportunity to make those professional contacts and learn something about another part of the country and the world.
This year we will be hosting Agriculture: Count It! which will, through the use of a simulated farm, teach youth the basics of accounting principles, and how understanding this topic can help make you more successful. Workshop specific content will be mixed with hands-on application of knowledge gained as well as purely fun activities. The purpose of the foundation is to engage youth in agriculture at a young age and help them share their passion.
- Saturday, June 8th, 2013
- Red Deer College, Red Deer, AB
- 8:00 am - 5:00 pm
- Registration Fee: $30.00
- Open to ages 12-23
For more information visit www.youthengagement.net
Look for us on Facebook under Young Canadian Simmental Association. Stay connected and be the first to know about upcoming events and opportunities.
Carew John (C.J.) O'Grady passed away in Lloydminster, SK on Saturday, April 13, 2013 at the age of 90 years. A loving husband, father, grandfather and great-grandfather, C.J. was a long-time supporter of the Simmental breed. He was inducted into the Canadian Simmental Hall of Fame in 2007 and will be missed by all those who knew him.
Joseph S. Hofer of the Spring Creek Colony, Walsh, AB., passed away peacefully on April 16, 2013 at the age of 75 years. Loving husband, father, grandfather and friend, Joe faithfully served the colony in a number of occupations including cattle boss, German teacher, gardener, field boss, and financial manager. He loved everything Mother Earth had to offer; loved watching things grow regardless of whether it was a seedling, a baby calf or all wildlife. Joseph will never be forgotten and his legacy will forever live on in those he left behind. Our condolences go Joseph's family and friends and the Spring Creek Colony.
Lyle Peterson, Bar L7 Simmentals, Calgary, AB, passed away suddenly on Tuesday, March 12, 2013. Loving husband, proud father and grandfather; Lyle was passionate about breeding Simmentals cattle and researching pedigrees. Lyle will be missed by all those who knew him. Our condolences to his friends and family.
|"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards."-- Vernon Sanders Law