August 20, 2013


Be Social With Us
Like us on Facebook   View our profile on LinkedIn   Find us on Yelp   Visit our blog
In This Issue
College Students
Drive Car for Work
Your Agent Steve Davis

Our Mission: 

Columbia River Insurance Services is a professional agency dedicated to providing our clients with the best insurance protection and service possible. We will strive to use the industry's most superior products while maintaining affordability.


Contact Us
Fax: 1.360.285.6000
1503 NE 78th St Ste. 1A 98665 
Portland -OR
13343 SE Stark St. Ste. 200 97233


Products & Services
Individual Health
Group Health
Recreation Vehicles
Vacation Homes
Risk Management
Join Our Mailing List
Quick Links

Health Insurance


Personal Insurance 

Business Insurance

Insurance Needs for College Students


Over 1.8 million students will graduate from college in 2013. Many of our local students will be heading off to the University of Oregon, WSU, Clark College to name a few. It is important to understand how a student moving off to college may impact your insurance needs. If you have a college student, it will be important for you to review this, and talk to me about any changes you may need to make to your insurance program.


For the most part, college students, even while living away from home, are still considered under the authority of their parents, unless they permanently move from home which would include changing their driver's license address.

  • Personal property- Items like clothes and computers should be covered under your homeowner's policy depending on the value. If you have a high deductible on your homeowners policy you may
    want to consider purchasing a renters policy for your college student to cover his/her belongings at a lower deductible. Check with our
    office for any limitations.
  • Personal Liability - This coverage is provided anywhere the student goes, unless it is outside of the US, and then the policy may have some limited coverage.
  • Auto - If your child is living in a different city or state without a vehicle, please notify us as there may be an additional discount since they are not a full time driver.
  • Health - Children can remain on your health policy until the age of 26.  


Once your child graduates and moves out of your home, you and your child will need to make different decisions.


I Drive My Car For Company Business...Now What?


There are many situations and reasons why employees in Washington/Oregon drive his or her personal auto to perform business related tasks including: travel between work sites, client visits, and transportation of colleagues.  It is important to consider the risk you assume when you drive your car on company business.


There are two different kinds of risks and we will address each. The first risk is what we might call incidental use. The second risk is when a person drives his/her own car every day as part of their job, like a sales person. This person's job description actually includes using their own car as part of the day to day job functions. Remember your Washington/Oregon Auto Insurance policy may not cover this risk, call Columbia River Insurance today.


Situation One-Incidental Use

Generally in these situations you would be covered under your personal auto policy. If you find you are driving more than 30-40% of the time on company business, it would be best to contact Columbia Rivers Insurance Services for a review of your coverage. Examples of incidental use would be:

  • Going to a company event
  • Taking the mail to the post office
  • Picking up supplies at the store
  • Going to see a client - occasionally

Situation Two- Drive as Part of the Job

Many personal auto policies have drive-for-business exclusions, requiring individuals to inform their agents that they drive for work and to acquire an endorsement. Without the endorsement, insurers may refuse to cover a claim. Here are some examples of work related situations where you might need to make adjustments to your insurance:

  • Outside sales professionals
  • Real-estate agents
  • Driving more than 50% of the time for the company
  • You receive an auto allowance
  • You take a tax deduction for work related driving

If you use your vehicle for delivery or landscaping you might need to consider a commercial policy, especially if the vehicle is used 100% for business use.