Keys to Selecting Your Individual Health Plan
When buying individual health insurance, you want the most coverage for you and your family. Columbia River Insurance Services can provide you with guidance and support in selecting a plan that is best suited for you. We have identified a number of factors for you to consider when selecting an individual plan.
- Use an independent agent like Columbia River insurance Services- We have access to many markets and special programs- We give you unbiased advice.
- Look at several plans- Each plan offers different levels of coverage.
- Consider dependents- If you have children under age 26 without health insurance coverage through an employer, the law permits them to be on your insurance.
- Review the network and providers- You may want to make sure your primary care physician is in network.
- Determine what you need vs. what you want- Determine what you need and focus on that.
- Consider deductibles- plan premiums can vary with high deductibles; this may save you considerable dollars.
Don't just consider premiums. Determine other out-of-pocket costs you will face and compare these within each plan. Finally, you should expect your agent to continue advising and helping you even after you purchase a policy.
July 4th Safety Tips From Columbia River Insurance Services
Fireworks during the Fourth of July are as American as apple-pie, but did you know that two out of five fires reported on that day are started by fireworks, more than for any other cause? So you think it cannot happen to you? Here are a few facts:
In 2011 over 9,000 people went to the emergency room as a result of fireworks related injuries. There was an estimated 15,500 reported fires started by fireworks. These fires resulted in an estimated eight reported deaths, and $36 million in direct property damage.
Injuries by Fireworks Type (US department of Health & Safety)
- 17%: Sparklers
- 14%: Reloadable Shells
- 13%: Firecrackers
- 7%: Roman Candles
- 6%: Bottle Rockets
- 6%: Novelties
- 2%: Multiple Tubes
- 1%: Fountains
Fireworks Safety Tips
- Buy fireworks only from licensed vendors
- Never combine fireworks
- Obey all local laws
- Never have any portion of your body directly over a firework while lighting
- Follow directions
- Never relight a firework
- Don't smoke or drink while lighting fireworks
- Soak used fireworks in water before placing in trash
- Make sure there is parental supervision
- Never experiment with homemade fireworks
- Use fireworks outdoors, in a safe area away from dry grass and buildings
- Keep a fire extinguisher, bucket of water, wet towels and a garden hose nearby
- Light one firework at a time - then move back quickly!
- Never shoot fireworks from metal or glass containers
- Never carry fireworks in your pocket
- Never point or throw fireworks at people or animals
- Clean up all used fireworks including debris