Put Insurance On Your "To Do List" for 2013
Are you getting the maximum discounts on your home and auto insurance? Premiums are developed based on a number of factors you can't control. However, there are steps you may be able to take to reduce those risks. Every insurance company offers discounts for the following:
- Consider raising your deductible-The higher your deductible, the more money you can save on your premiums
- Combine your home and auto with one insurance company - Every company offers discounts for bundling coverage
- Update and improve your home security system
- Make sure you have working smoke detectors
- Maintain good credit
- Stay with the same insurance company - most companies give discounts for long term customers
- Update wiring if that is possible
- Be a non-smoker
- If you belong to a home owners association you may be able to receive credits
- If you have a community security patrol, let us know
- Install heat and professional grade smoke sensors
- Don't get tickets
- Security system or LoJack discount
- Good student discounts
- Safe car discount- Even if you don't qualify for any of the above discounts, your car might be able to get you one. Cars that are less likely to be stolen or that are safer for its passengers, are less risky to insure, meaning that cars which are deemed safe may qualify for an insurance discount depending on the insurer
- Multiple car discount
Make a Home Inventory
Can you recall all the items in your dresser or cupboard? For most of us the answer is no. You never know when a home disaster, like a fire or a flood, will strike, so be prepared by having all your belongings documented. Developing a home inventory is a comprehensive way to account for your personal property. To create your home inventory list, go through each room of your house to write and/or take photos of its contents. You want to list large and expensive items individually (like appliances, jewelry and furniture) and group together smaller items in sets (like books, toys, or linens). Don't forget to include items stored in your basement, attic, garage, or shed.
Use an Independent Agent
Using an independent agent gives you access to many markets. As an independent insurance agent we are very knowledgeable about all the companies in the marketplace. We know which companies have the best track record when it comes to pleasing their policy holders. We can review all options and help you choose between the best insurance companies in the market.
Find and Fix Gaps in Coverage
Take time to review your coverage and limits. Did you make any major purchase such as expensive watches or jewelry? These may need to be added under a separate endorsement. Do you now have a teen driver? Did you buy or sell a boat or other RV? Having answers to these kinds of questions will help us provide the right combination of pricing and coverage.