We'll find a way to better health, together. Moda Health, in partnership with your organization, aims to promote healthy lifestyle choices and encourage you to make the most of your healthcare benefits. The journey to health is a lifelong journey. It's all about simple, everyday steps -- becoming more involved in your health, taking more accountability for making knowledgeable healthcare decisions and pursuing a balanced, healthy lifestyle.
Cold & flu season
Cold & flu season has arrived, and you are likely doing all that you can to stay healthy and avoid getting sick. We'd like to share some tips for dealing with cold and flu viruses this winter, so you can get healthy faster and avoid unnecessary prescriptions.
Nine out of ten sore throats are caused by a viral infection. If you have a sore throat (with a runny/stuffy nose, cough) it may be caused by a viral infection and antibiotics may not help ease the discomfort. Instead, the Centers for Disease Control recommends the following:
- Increase fluid intake
- Use a cool mist vaporizer or saline nasal spray to relieve congestion
- Soothe the throat with ice chips, sore throat spray, or lozenges
- Gargle with diluted salt water
- Avoid cigarette smoke
- Take OTC pain relievers to alleviate the pain & discomfort
Cold & flu season is a hard time to manage, and at Moda we are here to help. If you have questions about when to see a medical provider give our Nurse Line a call at 1-866-321-7580.
Source: Oregon Health Authority
Holiday Decorations - Fire Safety Tips
The holidays are filled with decorations that may only come around once a year. Make sure that you are decorating your home or place of business with these safety tips in mind.
- Many artificial trees are fire resistant. If you buy one, look for a statement specifying this protection.
- If you have a real tree, a fresh tree will stay green longer and be less of a fire hazard than a dry tree. Cut off about two inches of the trunk to expose fresh wood for better water absorption.
- When making paper decorations, look for materials labeled non-combustible or flame-resistant.
- When using lights, indoors or outdoors, use no more than three standard-size sets of lights per single extension cord.
Never use electric lights on a metallic tree.
- Keep a screen before the fireplace all the time a fire is burning.
- Do not burn papers in the fireplace. A flash fire may result as wrappings ignite suddenly and burn intensely.
- Avoid smoking near flammable decorations.
- Place candles where they cannot be knocked down or blown over.
- Make an emergency plan to use if a fire breaks out. See that everyone knows what to do. PRACTICE THE PLAN!
Source: U.S. consumer Product Safety Commission
Moda Health is offering a free new program for people with Type 2 Diabetes. Care4life is a diabetes support program that sends text messages to help you:
- Remember to take medications & go to appointments
- Eat healthy with nutrition tips & recipes
- Set weight & exercise goals
- Track blood glucose
Care4life messages are personalized to you and are sent right to your cell phone. It's easy!
Sign up by calling 1-866-418-8713 and entering the sign-up code Moda. Or, you can go to care4life.com. Click "sign-up now" to complete a form and enter the sign-up code Moda.
Better health is in your hands!
|Creamy Pear Nog |
Try this rich and creamy...yet healthy...twist on your traditional egg nog. Highlighted with brown sugar and a pinch of cinnamon, this healthy nog will add the perfect touch to your holiday parties. Only 5 ingredients and ready in 10 minutes!
1 pear, peeled, cored, cut into chunks
½ cup skim milk
¼ cup egg substitute
1 tsp brown sugar
1 large pinch cinnamon (about ¼ tsp)
2 ice cubes, cracked
Peel, core, and cut pear. Place all ingredients in a blender. Blend at high for 15 seconds. Serve.
Source: Fruits & Veggies - More Matters