We'll find a way to better health, together. Moda Health, in partnership with your organization, aims to promote healthy lifestyle choices and encourage you to make the most of your healthcare benefits. The journey to health is a lifelong journey. It's all about simple, everyday steps -- becoming more involved in your health, taking more accountability for making knowledgeable healthcare decisions and pursuing a balanced, healthy lifestyle.
Mark your calendars: November 21, 2013 The Great American Smokeout
The Great American Smokeout is a time to celebrate a day without tobacco. By going tobacco free for 24 hours, you can save enough money for a gallon and a half of gas or an upgrade to your lunch. You can save over three hours of time. You can even lower your risk of heart attack.
If you want to see what the rest of your life without tobacco would look like, enroll in the Quit For Life Program today. When you enroll, a Quit Coach will help create an easy-to-follow Quitting Plan.
When you enroll, you will also receive:
- An easy-to-use printed Quit Guide you can reference in any situation to help you stick with your Quitting Plan.
- Advice on which type, dose, and duration of nicotine substitute or medication is right for you, and how to use it so it really works. You may even qualify for free nicotine replacement therapy.
- Access to Web Coach, a private, online community where you can complete activities, watch videos, track your progress, and join discussions with other program participants.
Start experiencing the many benefits of quitting today. The Quit For Life Program will give you a chance of quitting eight times more successful than if you quit alone.
Celebrate the American Cancer Society Great American Smoke Out on November 21. Celebrate all the benefits of quitting for only 24 hours. Then keep going and let the Quit For Life Program help you celebrate all the benefits of being quit for good.
Call 1-866-QUIT-4-LIFE (1-866-784-8454), or log on to www.quitnow.net for details or to enroll.
Family fire safety trivia game
Get your family together and play a game this year to increase house fire preparedness. Come up with a fun prize for the winner.
This is a great way to get the adults and kids in your household engaged in fire safety. When a home fire occurs, there is often little or no time to take action. Survival from a home fire is dependent on your family's ability to be prepared.
Gather your household members, and hand each a list of these fire safety questions. The first person to answer all of the questions wins!
- If the kitchen is on fire where is the nearest fire extinguisher?
- How many smoke alarms are in your home? Test them and see if they all work. If they do not work, what do you do?
- How often should you check your smoke alarm to see if it works?
- Where is your family meeting place outside?
- If I find a lighter or matches what should I do next?
- How many ways should you have to get out of your house if it is on fire?
- What is your neighbor's name? (This is important because if you exit your house without a cell phone, will you or your family members be comfortable going to the neighbor's house to use the phone)
- What do I do if I smell smoke when I wake up?
- If my clothing catches fire what should I do to put the flames out?
- Once you are safely out of the house should you go back in to get something?
Answers: 2. Immediately replace the battery. 3. Once a month. 5. Do not touch them and tell an adult. 6. Two escape routes. 8. STAY LOW AND GO. Always touch door with back of hand to make sure it is not hot before opening it. 9. STOP, DROP and ROLL. 10. Never go back into the house once you escape a fire. Remember, GET OUT, STAY OUT.
Learn more about keeping your family safe and prepared. Call the American Red Cross at 541-749-4194 to find out about a preparedness class near you.
Moda Health is offering a free new program for people with Type 2 Diabetes. Care4life is a diabetes support program that sends text messages to help you:
- Remember to take medications & go to appointments
- Eat healthy with nutrition tips & recipes
- Set weight & exercise goals
- Track blood glucose
- Care4life messages are personalized to you and are sent right to your cell phone. It's easy!
Sign up by calling 1-866-418-8713 and entering the sign-up code Moda. Ore, you can go to care4life.com. Click "sign-up now" to complete a form and enter the sign-up code Moda.
Better health is in your hands!
|Did you know...? |
The Trail Blazers and Moda Health held our first ever "Rip City Relay," a five-day, journey that saw the ceremonial game ball travel up the Oregon coast and over to the Moda Center where it made it just in time for the team's home opener last Saturday, Nov. 2.
The relay tipped off in Coos Bay, the largest city on the Oregon Coast, with a rally and press conference, followed by a school visit. The ball then walked, jogged and passed through stops in Reedsport, Waldport, Newport, Otter Rock, Lincoln City, Grand Ronde, McMinnville, Newberg and Beaverton en route to Portland. The Trail Blazers worked with brand-activation firm CENERGY in formulating the route and Toyota provided a sweep vehicle to accompany participants throughout the relay.