Our hearts and thoughts go out to the people of Myanmar. A strong 6.8-magnitude earthquake recently struck northern Myanmar that killed at least 26 people and injured more than 230. While it is too early to know the full extent of damage, more than a 100 homes, 21 buildings, 48 government offices and four schools were damaged. In addition, a bridge collapsed, several landslides were triggered and a mine collapsed, trapping workers.
|Earthquake survivors in northern Myanmar clear debris of a building that collapsed after a 6.8-magnitude earthquake struck the region. At least a dozen people were killed and 64 injured. |
Build Change needs your support to help earthquake survivors rebuild their lives.
Even though the region sits in a seismically active area, building standards are generally very poor - and the threat of another disaster is very real.
Build Change has shared its technical resources on building earthquake-resistant houses in developing countries with a structural design engineer from Myanmar. We are also preparing to help earthquake survivors with post-disaster reconstruction efforts, but we need your help!
Please donate now.
Please give generously today so Build Change can help earthquake survivors in Myanmar rebuild safely. Your contribution will be used to support Build Change with one or more of the following activities:
- Complete a forensic engineering study to determine why some of the houses in Myanmar collapsed while others did not
- Design earthquake-resistant houses based on local designs, materials and practices
- Train homeowners and local builders and engineers on the fundamentals of earthquake-resistant design and construction
- Provide hands-on construction supervision, builder training, and earthquake-resistant design advice to homeowners throughout the construction process
- Give intensive on-the-job training for builders and engineers
- Train relief agency workers and government officials on earthquake-resistant design and construction techniques to reach thousands more homeowners and builders with permanent, earthquake-safe housing solutions
Elizabeth Hausler Strand
On behalf of Build Change and earthquake survivors in Myanmar, thank you for your support!
Founder and CEO
P.S. Please forward this message to your family, friends and co-workers so they, too, can help earthquake survivors in Myanmar rebuild safely. Thank you!