November 13th at 7AM
Back row, left to right: Tammy Stafford, St. Martins; Kristina Brockhouse, Children First Center; Dave Frey, Boomerang Backpacks; Marcia Provines, DeKalb Pregnancy Center; Susan Whittington, DeKalb Reads; Judy Strock, DeKalb County Domestic Violence Task Force, Inc.; Front row, left to right: Kimberly Fifer, DeKalb Middle School; Amber Hartsough, TLC Preschool; Sue Blotkamp, JAM Center; Aricka App, YWCA; & Deb Argast, Garrett Museum of Art.
2015 Power of the Purse Grant Recipients
A total of twelve Power of the Purse (POP) grants were awarded to non-profit organizations serving DeKalb County. The funds raised at the POP event are awarded to programs that impact women and/or children throughout DeKalb County. The twelve grants are listed below:
- St. Martins Health Clinic received a grant in the amount of $2,000 in order to fund three Women's Health days
- Children First Center received two
- $3,000 for program incentives
- $4,095 for furniture and appliances
- Boomerang Backpacks was awarded $3,000 to assist in funding the food supplies for backpacks
- DeKalb Pregnancy Center received a $2,000 grant for cribs, mattresses and car seats
- Community Foundation DeKalb County, Inc. received a grant in the amount of $3,000 for the DeKalb Reads program
- DeKalb County Domestic Violence Task Force, Inc. received $2,000 to assist in continuation and expansion of services
- DeKalb Middle School received $1,505 to continue a partnership with the Bowen Center for free counseling sessions for any student.
- TLC Preschool received a $600 grant to purchase books
- JAM Center received $4,000 grant for the JAM Girl's Club
- YWCA Northeast Indiana, Inc. was awarded $5,000 for the Steps- to- Success program
- Garrett Museum of Art was awarded a $2,000 for education outreach programming for children of all ages
Congratulations to all the agencies who have been awarded POP Grants! Thank you to all who attended and donated to the 2015 Power of the Purse event. These grants would not be possible without your contributions! DeKalb County thanks you for your generosity!
Welcoming a new staff member!
|Join us as we welcome our newest staff member, Kirby Cool! Kirby joined us in September as the new Resource Coordinator. Her responsibilities will include organizing Day of Caring, campaign events, marketing and social media, and many other duties!|
Kirby was born and raised in Auburn. She graduated from IPFW in 2014 with a Bachelor's in Human Services, and most recently, worked as the Family Support Manager with Fort Wayne Habitat for Humanity. Kirby has a five year old daughter and enjoys reading and spending time with family and friends.
Please help us in welcoming Kirby to United Way of DeKalb County!
|Bowen Center and United Way are partnering to present "Let's Talk Playgroups" for DeKalb County!|
Groups are provided for parents to find strategies that assist their child's social and literacy development through adult-child interactions.
Playgroup welcomes parents-to-be and parents with children aging 0-5. (Children welcome with parents!)
Participants eligible for take home prizes and sent home with a new book each group!
Alyssa Hale, RSM
260-925-8035 ext. 4220
Monday, October 26th, 2015 @ 5:00 - 6:30 PM
Friday, December 4th, 2015 @ 3:30 - 5:00 PM
Monday, January 25th, 2016 @ 5:00 - 6:30 PM
Wednesday, March 16th, 2016 @ 10:00 - 11:30 AM
Monday, April 25th, 2016 @ 5:00 - 6:30 PM
Auburn Bowen Center
923 Cardinal Court
Auburn IN 46706