Logo Header

Home      Who We Are      News & Updates      Contact         Online Donation 

CEH ready for dedication
Compassion Evangelical Hospital

Building Health

Building Hope
Woman with Child
Giving the best medical and surgical care possible according to the means that God provides, with compassion, and  sharing the gospel of Christ clearly with everyone who comes.
In This Issue
Etienne's Surgery
Personnel Needs
Financial Stewardship
Construction Projects
October 2012 Update  

Dear Friends and Partners,


 "If my people who are called by my name will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land" (II Chronicles 7:14, NIV).


As we look at the political and economic turmoil in the USA and in the world we clearly see the need for this kind of supernatural healing from God. In the context of the passage we see that God brings judgment and catastrophe on those who choose to wander from him. Our spiritual eyes acknowledge that we are experiencing this in our time. Will it bring us to the spiritual repentance that God wants and then to restoration through His healing? As for me, my house and Compassion Evangelical Hospital (CEH) we will be His people and we will humble ourselves and pray and repent of any sin He reveals in us. We will seek to walk by the precepts of His Word. Yes, we do need His healing and blessing so that we might prosper and better reflect His glory and His salvation in this world and particularly in Guinea.


May God bless you as you pray for our nation and vote in November.


Etienne's Surgery

Etienne Ouattara is the CEH Hospital Director in Guinea. In 2007 he began his service at CEH as the administrator and has done an excellent job in all of his responsibilities. Etienne has experienced neck pain intermittently during the past 10 years. Over the past 4 months the pain has become severe with tolerance levels he ranked as 8 out of 10 constantly and at times 10 out of 10. In August during his vacation, a CAT scan was done in Abidjan, the capital of Cote d'Ivoire. The results were evaluated in the USA by radiologists in Michigan and at Mayo Clinic, MN. The result of the evaluations concluded that he needed surgery. He was admitted to the program for charitable care at Mayo Clinic.


Etienne arrived in Detroit, MI on October 3rd as our house guest while I managed his pain. On October 19th he traveled to Mayo Clinic in Minnesota to prepare for surgery scheduled on Wednesday, October 24. Dr. Steve Merry and Autumn Ridge Church (ARC) will be hosting him there in Rochester, MN during the time of his surgery and early recovery. As he is able, he will also be participating in the ARC missions conference in early November prior to his return to Detroit on November 12. When he is sufficiently recovered he will return to Guinea. The anticipated time of his return to Guinea is late November or early December and I plan to travel with him on his return trip. All the details of Etienne's care are an answer to many prayers and we praise God for this.


The Lord also answered our prayers for a visa and ticket for Etienne's wife, Paulette, to travel and join him in the USA just prior to the surgery and stay through his recovery. Praise God with us for these many blessings in the midst of this trial, and pray with us for a successful surgery on Oct 24th and full recovery.


We are grateful for the assistance in travel expenses and hospitality from both Highland Park Baptist Church (HPBC) and ARC for Etienne and Paulette during this time.


Etienne and Paulette
Etienne and Paulette


Prayer request for Personnel needs               

In Guinea our volume of patients has been increasing and we are on target to see over 15,000 this year. The 24 hospital beds are often at full capacity. The Operating Rooms continue to be used on a weekly basis but the volume decreased once Dr. Ve returned to Cote d'Ivoire after his 3 month service time. We are working through the possibility of his return or to begin a rotation of various USA doctors in order to continue the full services of the Operating Room. Dr. Rose will complete her 2 year service with CEH at the end of December to join her husband who has returned to Liberia from his business studies in the USA. Dr. Kristen, our pediatrician from Texas, is currently on leave from CEH to study Pular (the language of the region). When she completes the study leave she will be on home assignment for 5 months.  


This leaves Dr. Jean Paul who is trained in OBGYN surgeries and Dr. David, MD to cover a wide area of medical needs. Please pray with us for the need of 2 more doctors and ultimately a surgeon for the hospital. To cover all of the nursing slots needed in the wards and surgery we desperately need 3 more Guinean nurses as well. We have put out the call to the evangelical missions and churches to recruit these laborers but we ask you to join us in praying that the Lord of the Harvest will send us just the right people.


Dr. Jean Paul scrubbing
Dr. Jean Paul scrubbing for surgery

Financial Stewardship
In the recent Board Meeting the financial stewardship of the funds that God gives us was analyzed. The analysis found that 96% of what is donated to CEH goes directly in support of the ministry in Guinea leaving only 4% being used for USA administrative and fundraising costs. We Praise God for the team of gifted and dedicated volunteers here in the USA which allows us to accomplish this. The revenues generated for hospital services on the field now cover 77% of the costs of operation and maintenance of the hospital. This growth to self-sufficiency is one of our goals. The USA donations subsidize the remaining 23% and also support Dr. Kristen, the MIAPE missionaries, US short term missionaries and almost all of the capital development to date. Over all we are very pleased with this record of stewardship of our Lord's finances in the ministry.

Donation Pie Chart


Construction Projects
Our next construction project is the Emergency and X-ray Building. Currently in the central part of Guinea, with a population of over 5,000,000, there is not one functional x-ray machine. Mamou is a mountainous region and also the hub of the major east/west and north/south roads in the country. The highest vehicular accident rate in this developing country is in this area.

One designated gift of $10,000 toward the $80,000 cost of the building and the $40,000 cost for equipping it has been received. We would love to be able to complete the fundraising for this as we close 2012 and give the green light to start building which we estimate will take 4 to 6 months. Would you prayerfully consider partnering with us in this project for the Lord's work?


Footings for New Building
Digging the footings is the first step for a new building at CEH.

We are sincerely grateful to our many partners who have faithfully prayed and given to this work for the Lord's glory. Recently, as I introduced Etienne to supporters in two of our Michigan churches he shared that he was most richly blessed to hear how many have been praying for God's blessing on the work at CEH. He also expressed appreciation for the prayers for him during the next several weeks as he has surgery and is in recovery. Thank you!


Your fellow servant in Christ,


Dr. Dwight E. Slater, MD



"Then we your people, the sheep of your pasture,  

will praise you forever;  

from generation to generation  

we will recount your praise" (Psalm 79:13).


ECFA Member  

Donate via Paypal

Click Here.

To make a financial contribution, mail your check to: 
Compassion Evangelical Hospital
P.O. Box 870
Southfield, MI   48037 

Or Donate online via PayPal (click the link to the left).