Six Days of Birthday Cheer!
As we prepare to turn six next Tuesday, September 10th, we're feeling enormous gratitude to all of the loyal friends and customers in the Triangle and beyond who've unfailingly shown us support for more than half a decade! We've bonded with you over our shared thirst for wine (what else?) and passion for the delicious silver lining which lies beyond industrialized corporate wineries.
What better way to celebrate than with a hefty birthday sale? Next week, starting on Monday (the 9th) and ending on Saturday (the 14th), we're offering a great six pack deal to celebrate our sixth birthday. Put together any half case of wine, and we'll take 20% off! It's like a birthday discount for everyone, and you can take advantage of it as often as you like over the course of the six day sale. Simply give us a thumbs up when you check out to take advantage of our festive sale!
If that weren't exciting enough, just take a look below at all the new selections that you'll find around our shelves and stacks!
- Hacienda Villarta - Mentrida Crianza "Besanas" 2009 $11.99
- Adega de Pegoes - Setubal Tinto 2011 $10.99
- Caves do Soar de São Domingos - Bairrada Tinto 2007 $12.99
- Mestres - Cava Brut Nature Gran Reserva "Coquet" 2007 $26.99
- Domaine de Bidalere - Cotes du Gascogne Blanc 2011 $9.99
- Mas de Libian - Cotes du Rhone "Bout d'Zan" 2012 $16.99
- Laurent Combier - Crozes-Hermitage Rouge 2012 $25.99
- Grosbos-Barbara - Saint-Pourçain Blanc 2011 $15.99
- Domaine Rouzé - Quincy 2012 $19.99
- Domaine Daulny - Sancerre Rosé 2012 $25.99
- Domaine Daulny - Sancerre Blanc 2012 $25.99
- Laurent Gauthier - Beaujolais Villages Rosé "Vintage" 2012 $13.99
- Domaine Largeot - Bourgogne Rouge 2011 $19.99
- Michel Collon - Champagne Brut $29.99
- Serge Mathieu - Champagne Brut "Blanc de Noirs" $49.99
- Poderi Foglia - Aglianico Roccamonfina 2011 $19.99
- Paulo Palumbo - Lettere Rosso 2012 $17.99
- Tezza - Rosso "Campo di Majoli" 2012 $13.99
- Corte Majoli - Amarone della Valpolicella 2009 $34.99
- Reverdito - Barolo 2009 $34.99
- Piero Busso - Barbaresco "Mondino" 2009 $39.99
- Prinsi - Barbaresco "Gallina" 2004 $49.99
Keep rockin' in the New World...
- Finca Sophenia - Malbec "Reserve" 2012 $15.99
- Barker's Marque - Sauvignon Blanc "Three Brooms" 2012 $15.99
- Seifried - Sauvignon Blanc "Old Coach Road" 2012 $14.99
- Montinore - Pinot Gris 2012 $15.99
- Shea Wine Cellars - Pinot Noir "Shea Vineyard" 2011 $44.99
- Stolpman - Rosé 2012 $19.99
- Ehlers - Cabernet Sauvignon "One Twenty Over Eighty" 2010 $49.99
...Including North Carolina!
- Grove - Nebbiolo Haw River AVA 2011 $17.99
Rosé Limerick Contest!
It's time once again to get creative* and express your passion, joy, love, and desire for dry pink wines through the always eloquent, heartfelt, and touching... limerick!
From Wikipedia: A limerick is a five-line poem in anapestic or amphibrachic meter with a strict rhyme scheme (aabba), which intends to be witty or humorous, and is sometimes obscene with humorous intent.
The following example of a limerick is of unknown origin:
The limerick packs laughs anatomical
In space that is quite economical,
But the good ones I've seen
So seldom are clean,
And the clean ones so seldom are comical.
* Needless to say, we recommend a glass of wine... or two... to help you gear up (or down?) for waxing limericktic.
- You must be at least 21 to submit an entry.
- Multiple entries are allowed, but each must be in a separate email. Only poems in true limerick format are eligible to win, but other forms of poetry are welcome.
- Only entries submitted via email will be accepted.
- Entries must be "clean enough" to print publicly.
- All entries are due by Friday, September 6th at midnight.
What can you win?
- 1st prize - $50 Wine Authorities Gift Certificate
- 2nd prize - $30 Enomatic Card
- 3rd prize - Two bottles of any DAILY-priced rosés
In traditional Rosé Limerick Contest fashion, we have three awesome judges lined up to render verdicts on just which poems of pink deliver the most potent limeristickal punch. Durham's culinary, musical, and literary scenes are, as always, represented! Keep your limericks coming our way. For more information on the contest itself and what you can win, take a look below...
Matt Kelly of Vin Rouge & Mateo
Culinary Institute of America graduate, Matt Kelly, is best known for bringing Durham's Vin Rouge and Mateo to life. He's very modest about his thoughtful approach and the finesse that permeates his cuisine, but it's clear that he's serious about food and what he does. He's a home town hero and instrumental to Durham's vibrant restaurant scene.
Kym Register has been an integral part of the Triangle's music scene throughout the course of the past decade, a role that was further solidified when she (along with Elizabeth Albrecht and Wine Authorities' own Nick Williams) opened the Pinhook bar & music venue in the autumn of five years ago. She currently plays guitar and sings in Loamlands.
Kym Register of The Pinhook & Loamlands
Ken Rumble, Poet & Novelist An author of several books of poetry and in the process of building his first novel, Ken Rumble is also a bit of a renaissance man and an ardent drummer. He may be best known for Key Bridge, a thematically-driven poem of 72 pages. He'll need to be at the top of his game to carefully weigh, from what we've seen so far of this year's entries, the profundity of symbolism and heart wrenching emotion to be found in this year's rosé limericks...
At Yellow Dog...
Join us at the grand opening of one of our future neighbors in our new Raleigh hood! Yellow Dog Bread Company is unveiling its delicious brand of artisanal baking, coffee, and more in conjunction with this month's First Friday festivities. Our very own Grand Poobah will be on hand pouring four favorite wines from 6:00 to 9:00 pm!
You no longer have to go topless now that our classic "Durham: Crunchy on the Outside" and "Wine from Farmers not Factories" shirts are currently on sale for only $12.99. Stock up today and remain clothed throughout the season in cotton t-shirts grown, sown, ginned, and printed, all in North Carolina. So über-local, you'll jump for joy!
It's here at long last! The pink oasis that refreshes our mouths and nourishes our souls is once again in bloom! The Rosé Garden has arrived, and speaking of fresh, we're kicking off the garden this year with selections that include a couple of brand new, never-before-in-the-US, Wine Authorities exclusives. As always, a portion of each and every bottle of rosé sold will be donated to the fight against breast cancer.
Real Customer Comment:
"You guys have helped me out so much,
now I feel like an expert!"
- Charlie R.
A Toast on
This Tuesday, September 10th, we present our FREE midweek wine tasting. Every Tuesday is tasty! From 5:00 - 7:00, we host this bonus tasting of three wines to get you through the early week and land you safely on hump day!
Join us on Tuesday as we celebrate our store's sixth anniversary - our birthday! We're sampling three bubblies which wouldn't be available in our corner of the world if we hadn't loved them enough to bring them here and share them with our customers. We'll have a toast to exploring and adoring wine while discovering three delicious and uplifting selections that aren't simply great for celebrations but stimulate a passionate thirst in us all year long!
And don't forget:
Tasty Tuesday 15%
After you taste, put together 6 bottles from our Tasty Tuesday lineup, and we'll take an entire 15% off!
This Saturday from 12 to 3 PM
"try before you buy" at
our FREE tasting
This Saturday, we're turning the world upside down in search of South American classics - a few of the continent's best loved and most unique specialties. We'll begin amid some of the Earth's highest altitude vineyards for an example of the very aromatic white, Torrontes. Next, we'll cross the Andes into one of Chile's prized cooler climated zones, Casablanca, for an exceptional value in ripe, beautifully-balanced Pinot Noir. Returning to Argentina, we'll showcase a stunning example of South America's most famous phenomenon, the southwestern French native Malbec in its adoptive Mendoza! Finally, we'll catch up with the "long lost" sixth grape of Bordeaux, Carmenere in all its peppery, chocolatey, full-figured glory.
On Sale! $12.99 [Full Description]
INTENSE APRICOT & FLOWERS, LEMONCELLO-ESQUE, JUICY
This winery is high! Well, high in altitude at around 6,000 feet. And that elevation is the key to greatness here. Wicked high vineyards means super ripe fruit, both fresh and crisp with super acidity....
Pinot Noir 2012
100% Pinot Noir
FRESH JUICY CHERRY, SOFT SPICE, IMPRESSIVE BALANCE
This amiable Pinot Noir hails from the seaward slopes of the Casablanca Valley, where the cool climate adds lean length to the ripe grapes. A touch of oak adds some moderate, gingerbread-ish spice...
Malbec "I" 2010
On Sale $28.99 [Full Description]
BLACKBERRY & PLUM,
SUBTLE SMOKY MINERAL
This cuvée's title (simply the roman numeral "I" ) identifies the Malbec grape, not surprisingly, as the Pulenta family's first priority. Eschewing the ultra-concentrated and monstrously fruity, oaky style of many contemporary...
"Gran Reserva Envero"
7% Cabernet Sauvignon
On Sale $16.99 [Full Description]
WILD SUMMER BLACKBERRIES, CHOCOLATE CHILI, VANILLA
With its origins in Carmenere vineyards planted more than sixty years ago, this robust and multifaceted cuvée demonstrates both the signature characteristics of the grape's distinctive personality and the finesse which...
|Join us, read us, communicate with us...|
|Hope to see you Saturday!|
Our best to you,
Grand Poobah & the Wine Authorities staff
We don't spam you, we practice our wine love on wine drinkers by sharing our weekly wackiness.
Six for Sixty
Here's our deal this month; a package of six reds or six whites for $60 plus tax. You can double down and buy two: one of each or two of one for $110 plus tax. Sorry, no other discounts apply.
Show me the six
Show me the six
[click links to see this month's selection!]
|on the Enomatic:
Here's what's on tap, subject to change on a whim or fancy
$24.99 on sale
$13.99 on sale
$12.99 on sale
$19.99 on sale
$15.99 on sale
$24.99 on sale
$17.99 on sale
$12.99 on sale
Mas de Libian
"Vin de Petanque"
$11.99 on sale
$10.99 on sale
Chateauneuf du Pape
$46.99 on sale
Fresh Local Sausages
- Country Breakfast
- Spicy Italian
Vande Rose Farms
Local peanut butters
8oz Jar - $8.00
16oz Jar - $12.00
- Peanut Cashew
- Peanut Almond
- Penut Pecan
- Chai Spice (8oz size only)
8oz Jar - $10.00
16oz Jar - $15.00
Counter Culture Coffee
- Farmhouse Blend, Equador & Peru
- Union El Triunfo, Mexico
- Finca Mauritania, El Salvador
- Haru Buna Ababa, Ethiopia
- Espresso Toscano
Archived Weekly Emails
If for some absolutely crazy reason you feel the need to re-read our previous weekly email you can now click on this link:
We can not be held accountable for our previous, current or future writings.