Welcome to the very first online Cornell Food Science newsletter! The purpose of this newsletter is to keep our alumni, parents and other friends of the department updated with our latest news and announcements. We are hoping that the newsletter becomes ever more interactive, so please use the Social Media links on this page to share and connect. We will be sending this newsletter bi-monthly so keep your eyes open for us again in April.
Best wishes from Stocking Hall.
-Dennis Miller & Olga-Padilla Zakour
What's New in Stocking Hall?
- After three long years, Cornell Ice Cream returns to the Dairy Bar!
- We are excited to announce that Olga Padilla-Zakour has been promoted to full professor.
- Renovations continue on Stocking West with an anticipated completion in early 2015.
Where Playing With Your Food Becomes a Career
Application review has begun for the 2014 Summer Scholar Program, a ten-week undergraduate research program giving students who are interested in food science. Alum of the program have gone on to careers in industry and academia. Past Summer Scholars, email Louise Felker to share your stories!
Product Development Teams
Science never Tasted So Good
Annually, student teams compete in several product development competitions sponsored by the Institute of Food Technologists, Danisco, and the Dairy Research Institute. In 2014, nine teams will be competing for a place in the national competition. Teams are testing products now an will soon learn if they have earned a place in the finals. Good luck, teams!
Awards and Commendations
- Martin Wiedmann, elected to Fellowship in the American Academy of Microbiology
- Matthieu Stratton, honored with Core Value Staff award
- Rachel Miller, awarded US Borlaug Fellows Graduate Research Grant
- Rebecca Mangona, awarded Professor Cy Lee Excellence in Food Chemistry Award
- Kayla Babbush, awarded National Dairy and Promotion Research Board Scholarship
- Clinton Hervert, received David P. Brown Memorial Award
- Delia Hughes, received David P. Brown Memorial Award
- Kyle Clark, received Gold and Silver Plate Award
- Jared Kaplan, awarded IFMA Educational Foundation Scholarship
- Samuel Reichler, awarded IFMA Educational Foundation Scholarship
- Holim Jang, awarded First Prize of Graduate Students' Research Paper at the 80th Annual Meeting of Korean Society of Food Science and Technology and Best Research Paper among Junior Scientists at Korea Institute of Science and Technology R&D EXPO