November 27, 2012 - Vol. 9, No. 4
Thank you for reading the MISD Messenger, your district e-news source. We hope you had a wonderful Thanksgiving break. In this issue, we share a major update on the meal payment system, plans for a few upcoming community events, recognitions, and much more. Check out latest MISD info below.
Parenting Center Workshops
The following workshops are being conducted by the Parenting Center free of charge for MISD parents and staff. All workshops begin at 8:30 a.m. and last one hour. All MISD parents are welcome at any of the sessions:
Date: December 7, 2012
Time: 8:30 a.m. to 9:30 a.m.
Topic: "Setting Limits Without Breaking a Sweat"
Location: Tipps Elementary
Counselor/Contact Person: Tiffany Woodard
Date: January 25, 2013
Time: 8:30 a.m. to 9:30 a.m.
Topic: "The Love and Logic Approach to parenting the ADD/ADHD Child"
Location: Tarver-Rendon ES
Counselor/Contact Person: Sarah Duhon
Online Meal Payment System Change
Mansfield ISD Student Nutrition is excited to announce My School Bucks as our new provider for online meal payments effective December 15, 2012. My School Bucks replaces ParentOnline as the safe and secure way for parents to make online payments for their children and view meal account activity.
Parents: Prepare for this transition
- Discontinue ParentOnline payments as of December 1, 2012.
- Disable any automatic ParentOnline payments as of December 1, 2012.
- Register for your FREE My School Bucks account as of December 15, 2012 at www.myschoolbucks.com. (NOTE: The Mansfield ISD profile is now available on My School Bucks for account registration but not for payments yet.)
- Students PIN numbers will not change.
- Account balances will transfer from ParentOnline to My School Bucks.
- Dietary and account restrictions will remain in place.
- For questions, email us at email@example.com.
|Toys for Tots Drive & Community Event|
Join Toys for Tots and Mansfield ISD for a community-wide event and live FOX 4 broadcast at the MISD Center for the Performing Arts on Wednesday, December 12 from 5:00 - 10:30 p.m. FOX 4 will have live TV coverage at this event during their broadcasts between 5:00-6:30 p.m. and 9:00-10:30 p.m.
There will be FREE Santa photos to all bringing a (new, unwrapped) toy, a pair of real reindeer to pet, crafts and face painting, fire truck, inflatable bounce activity, music, high school drumlines, popcorn, hot cocoa, face painting, entertainment, and more.
Stuff The Bus - The T.A. Howard Knights, Cross Timbers Timberwolves and the Carol Holt Trailblazers joined forces for the 1st ever Stuff the Bus Food Drive. The goal was to help restock the Common Ground Mansfield food pantries by donating non-perishable food items. As the donations came in, the organizers stuffed a school bus with the items. Thank you to all parents, faculty, staff and students who helped. The drive ran November 12-16.
(Check out the Stuff the Bus Photo Gallery.
Academic Cross-Country Team - A Timberview High School senior, Kellyanne Durkin, was one of only 25 students in the state to be named to the Texas Girls Coaches Association Academic All-State Cross Country Team.
Student-run Radio Station
- 99.9 The Wild (www.999thewild.net) is the Mansfield ISD's official student-run radio station. Listen to Live Shows (M-F) 7:15 a.m. - 9:15 a.m. and 11:35 a.m. - 1:35 p.m. DJMS Camp Thurman Challenge - One hundred students participated in the inaugural Jones Middle School Camp Thurman Challenge. Students in the Rachel's Challenge group have been participating in small action groups to strengthen the community. This event was planned to celebrate the work put in, to build new relationships and increase awareness of those in need of attention.
Mansfield HS Speech Team - The Mansfield High speech team took 5th place in overall sweepstakes out of 38 schools with only five students competing at a recent contest at Naaman Forrest High School. For the first time in MHS history every student in attendance won a first place in something. Congratulations:
- Beaven Waller/Daniel George - 1st in Duet Acting
- Aldean Pearson II - 1st place in Original Oratory
- Daniel George - 1st place in Dramatic Interpretation
- Chandler Clamp/Zach Montou - 1st place in Duo Interpretation
- Daniel George /Aldean Pearson II - 3rd place in Duo Interpretation
- Chandler Clamp - 6th place in Humorous Interpretation
Fine Arts Update
Senior Art Show - We've started Senior Art Shows for our Advanced Visual Art Students. These shows are held at The Center and give students an opportunity to have an art show beyond the Annual District Art Show. The Senior Art Shows will be two weeks in duration and feature students from each of the high schools. The third show began November 12 and runs through November 30. It features works from students from Legacy HS: Caitlyn Moore, Patrick Henson, Lily Masuda, Jessica Darmon, and Trent Ritchey.Streets of Mansfield Art Contest - Congratulations to the student winners and participants in the Mansfield Chamber of Commerce's Streets of Mansfield MISD Art Contest
First Place - $300.00
- Cody Bryan from Gideon Elementary/teacher - Robin Sonbria
- Jenna Jeffries from Cross Timbers Intermediate/teacher-Laura Strickland
- Caitlyn Moore from Legacy High School/teacher-Dave Mason
Second Place - $200.00
- Alyssa Puempel from Brown Elementary/teacher - Chandra Saenz
- Lauren Church from Cross Timbers Intermediate/teacher - Laura Strickland
- Hector Nevarez from Timberview High School/teacher - Eric Champion or Dallas Williams
Third Place - $100.00
- Brittany Flores from Brockett Elementary/teacher - JoEllen Townsend
- Anna Padilla from Cross Timbers Intermediate/teacher - Laura Strickland
- Courtney Bruce from Mansfield High School/teacher - Kim Lovelace
Dallas Symphony Orchestra Concert
Mansfield ISD Center for the Performing Arts
Final week for ticket sales
The Dallas Symphony Orchestra will perform a concert at the Mansfield ISD Center for the Performing Arts on Sunday, December 2, 2012 at 2:30 p.m. The DSO on the GO concert series performance is presented by Methodist Mansfield Medical Center and benefits the MISD Education Foundation. Tickets on sale now.
Impact Award: Career Tech Instructors Soar with Solar Power
When Jackie Bishop was researching home solar panels online last spring, he came across a project that would soon make Mansfield ISD history.
The Solar Car Challenge was founded to motivate students in science, engineering, technology and alternative energy - plus, it involves some pretty cool race cars!
After discovering the challenge, Bishop, an Auto Tech teacher at Ben Barber Career Tech Academy, quickly enlisted the help of Rob Goodson, an Engineering teacher on campus. The enthusiastic duo recruited a group of about twenty-five students to form "The Shine Runners," MISD's first ever solar car team. Read more...
|MISD Impact Award - Shine Runners|
November 13 Board Meeting
2006 Bond Program
Judy K Miller ES - Roofing Work has commenced for dry-in by end December 2012. Facility completion target is May 2013. As a reminder, Miller Elementary will be occupied by Boren Elementary starting in fall 2013 as we begin the campus replacement construction process approved in the 2011 bond.
Ag-Science Center - The New Ag-Science Center, Phases 1 and 2, design has commenced.
A proposed access drive from Gertie Barrett Rd. to Shepard Intermediate was submitted for Approval.
A proposed Cosmetology Lab addition to BBCTA was presented. (Further discussion needed.)
JL Boren ES and Alice Ponder ES 50% Construction Documents are under review.
New Tarver-Rendon Elementary (referred to in construction docs as "Rendon ES 24") Waste Water Treatment Plant designed packaged plant has been provided to the contractor for bid development as a change order to the project. Construction began last May and will be completed next summer in time for Tarver-Rendon students to start at their new location next fall.
Package 1, High Schools District Wide Security and Wireless Projects software programming for final completion is underway with MISD Police.
Seven (7) Playfield Irrigation Projects are mechanically operational with controller integration underway for final completion.
The first major construction renovation package Construction Design is underway for new and renovation construction work at Cross Timbers IS, TA Howard MS, and Mansfield Summit HS and Mansfield HS Gymnasium. Permit drawings are to complete in January 2013.
Canopy Additions under the ADA Canopy Project require Geotechnical Borings at fourteen (14) facilities now being developed. The Seventeen Campus Bid development is planned for February 2013.
The purpose of the page is to provide information to parents of bus riders about delays such as weather, construction or other conditions affecting MISD buses and their routes. It is updated during the day for AM and PM routes and lists any changes to bus numbers for substitute buses and drivers if any.
This information page is another way for the Transportation Department to stay in communication with parents about issues related to routes in addition to the phone calls to dispatch. Go to the Daily Bus Schedule.
Mansfield Hometown Holidays - Kick off the holiday season in Mansfield this weekend (Nov. 30-Dec. 2) for Hometown Holidays
Recent Blog Posts
Bikes for Angels 2012 Campaign
JROTC CyberWarriors Secure Damaged Enterprise Computer
Superintendent Update - November 2012
Photo Galleries - Visit the photo galleries site for the latest images from around MISD.
|Send us news tips|
Share your info
Do you have a story idea to feature? Is something happening on your campus that is newsworthy? Let the Mansfield ISD Communications Department know. Here's how you can share with us:
For potential news or story ideas, please use the News Tip Form
or e-mail them to the Communications Department
Your Mansfield ISD Blog
It's been a while since we checked on some rumors for you. Have you heard a rumor around MISD that you'd like us to look into? Let's find out if what you heard is true, false, or something we need to look into. Send Rumor Mill questions to firstname.lastname@example.org
and we'll share answers in an upcoming post.
|MISD Communications Department