- WordPress Meetup: Wed, Jan 22, 6pm, Cruzio. Topic: Common WordPress mistakes and how to avoid them.
- Startup Weekend Monterey Bay at CSUMB, Jan 24-26: a 54 hours event where enthusiasts come together to share ideas, form teams, build products, and launch startups. Use promotional code "MEETUP" to get 25% off the registration of $99.
- TechRaising Meetup: Thu, Jan 30, 6:30pm, NextSpace. Prepare for the spring TechRaising weekend.
- Intro to The Startup Challenge: Tue, Jan 21, 4-6pm, Cruzio. Tue, Feb 11, 4-6pm, NextSpace. Applications due March 10.
- Local companies collaborate to help bolster ROP tech education in Santa Cruz County. "I suspect a half dozen new career programmers and Makers were born on that day," says Cruzio co-CEO Chris Neklason, referring to one particularly exciting day in class.
- At what point does Big Data become too big? The Good Times cover story features bioinformatics/genomics expert David Haussler and data/storage expert Ethan Miller.