The Boat that would not float. This is sounding like a Marley Farwat book
Well here is the up to date log of the Sarah Maria, or trying to escape from Newburyport, by boat with a little dog.
The trip right off the bat went a little bit sour. Leaving my mooring in Amesbury on friday for a 2pm bridge opening at the Derrick Hynes bridge. On approach they could not open the bridge, so I was delayed an hour waiting, getting me to the town dock in Newburyport impatient and tired. I still had a lot of stuff to put away but I was a little worn out so I did not quite get all done as I would have wanted.
I left the dock Saturday morning later than I would have hoped, so I was fighting the tide as I was going through the mouth of the Merrimack river, while being pounded by fellow motor boaters and giant wakes they were leaving.
My engine broke down in the mouth of the river where I dropped the anchor, and changed the racer filter, bled the system, raised the anchor and was under way again for a few minutes when the engine cut out again. At that point I called tow boat US and was brought up the Merrimack river to a town mooring where again first i hooked up my fuel scrubber and cleaned the tank again. I ran the engine for about an hour while I took Mika ashore to pee.
No mercy from city of Newburyport, they charged me $25 for the 2hr use of their mooring.
I still had time to at least get to Rockport and Mika had gone to the bathroom so I left the mooring and tried to make my way out again. I broke down just far enough from the ice breaker to again get pounded by motor boats coming up the river. I put out my orange flag hoping to slow the boats down but they must of thought that I was race boat time keeper.
I called Tow Boat US one more time at 4pm, they were real busy, and arrived at just about 6:30 and towed me back up the river to my mooring in Amesbury.
On inspection I still have a fuel problem that I am going to try to attempt to fix in the next few days, by adding a water separator to my fuel scrubber.
On Sunday I sent Mika off so he could have a break from the boat, as I cleaned and reorganized.
I will try to make another attempt as soon as I get a handle on my fuel problem.
The rest of the boat though is ready to rock.
Save the link to SPOT as well as to follow me on my Facebook page.
If you would like to see the video that I took of the whale check out Captain Ed's Facebook Page.
Make sure to sign up for Captain Ed's Facebook page to stay in that loop.
Many of you know that I have to follow the weather very closely and during the sailing season I get up in the middle of the night to check the RADAR and weather reports especially the Passage Weather site. The passage weather site is a site that we used, and found extremely accurate for the trip we made to the Virgin Islands in 2010. The passage weather site gives a seven day forecast but I think it is most accurate for a three day forecast. Pecking around the Passage weather site will give you a great idea what the weather anywhere is doing. The other site that I like to use is Maine Harbors, locally (New England) it will give an excellent report as well as tides and temperatures.