Sailing South on the Browyn C
As I write this article we are stuck at the Gilmanton bridge in Norfolk Virginia it was suppose to open for 1:30 pm but so far is delayed until 2:30 pm because the railroad bridge beside it is stuck or something.
We, Bob Mills and I left Maryland Yaght club (Baltimore) at 9 am on Wednesday April 6 and sailed to a nice little anchorage about 26 miles away on Lake Olgelton.
Since then we have been traveling between 50 and 60 miles per day making a stops along Chesapeke Bay. In particular Smith Creek Potomac River, then Chisolm Creek behind Hampton VA . Up until today, April 10 it has been very chilly however today it has been in the 70's. We have had some small over heating problems with the engine, and also the bilge pump was clogged. We were stuck in Smith creek for a day because of bad weather so we took care of those problems.
The bridge finally let us pass at 2:30 PM so we were able to make the the locks at deep creek in time for the 3 PM opening. Once in the lock we received a nice history lesson from the Robert the tender as the water raised us up to the level of the Dismal Swamp.( 6 feet).
Once through the locks Robert drove his car a few hundred yards down the river to open a bridge for us to pass under, once under the bridge we pulled up along side a dock that was part of the parking lot of a Mexican restaurant. From this dock we went and did some grocery shopping and changed the engine oil. We ate supper at the Mexican restaurant, and spent the night on the dock there.
On Monday April 11 we will have a short 17 mile trip to the visitors center, where will may hold for a couple of days because of weather, we could also use a rest.
If you would like to follow more of this trip from Baltimore to Myrtle Beach you can through my postings on my facebook page. We will be out in the woods for a lot of this trip and may not be able to post everyday.
Next month I will have a link to the whole log in my news letter.