Celebrating 10 years of leading innovations across the Ryan White community.

NQC e-Newsletter | Your expert guide to resources and technical assistance focusing on improving HIV care.

NQC is proud to bring you this very special edition of our newsletter. Back in 2004, Dr. Agins and I applied for a grant that we felt would make a major, positive impact on Ryan White grantees across the country. That grant was the National Quality Center.

It has been all of our distinct pleasures to serve the Ryan White community over the years. During that time, NQC has grown to a nationally recognized leader that has made a significant impact in helping grantees meet or exceed their quality improvement aims. Over 1,000 individuals graduated from our training programs, approximately 51% of all Ryan White grantees enrolled in our national retention campaign, and our online training courses, called Quality Academy, have been utilized over 28 thousand times. More than 88% of all Ryan White grantees have utilized at least one NQC service during the past 10 years. Most importantly, our NQC services improved the health outcomes of people living with HIV.

While all of this may be impressive, NQC is not going to rest on its laurels. In the changing landscape of HIV care, NQC will continue to evolve. Our mission is clear to further advance HIV care provided by Ryan White grantees across the nation. Join us, together we can make a difference!

Tell us how NQC has helped you | Submit Your Testimony

Clemens Steinbock

Director, National Quality Center

> This Issue

> NQC Highlights Innovative Tools as it Celebrates its 10-Year Anniversary
> NQC Timeline | 2004-2014
> The 1,000th Training Graduate | Utilization of NQC Services to Advance HIV Care
> Reflections From the Field
> Help Wanted | Quality Improvement Consultants
> National TA Call | Back to Basics

> NQC Highlights Innovative Tools as it Celebrates its 10-Year Anniversary

For the last 10 years the National Quality Center (NQC) has provided technical assistance in quality improvement principles and practice to support Ryan White HIV/AIDS Program grantees by creating innovative services to meet their unique needs. NQC's goal is to improve the quality of HIV care nationwide, and more than 88% of Ryan White grantees have utilized at least one of NQC's key quality improvement service.

By sharing lessons learned and encouraging cross-Part collaboration, NQC works to connect Ryan White grantees and providers with one another so that, together, we can maximize best practices and create a more robust community of learners.

To commemorate our 10-year anniversary we have redesigned our homepage. We created an interactive timeline of NQC accomplishments throughout the years as a way to highlight the myriad of NQC tools, services, and technical assistance offerings. You can also leave a testimonial feature to voice your thoughts.

We've built a strong foundation as a community over these last 10 years. Together we'll build a brighter future. So what are you waiting for? Join the movement. Join NQC.

Learn more about the NQC's 10-Year Anniversary | NationalQualityCenter.org

> Dec 2014 | Issue 74 | Vol 7

Quick Links

> NQC 10-Year Anniversary
Milestones and Highlights

Tell us how NQC has helped you!

> Upcoming Events

December 2014

Dec 1 | in+care data submission due

Dec 1 | Launch of new NQC website

Dec 18 | National TA Webinar | Back to Basics - Quality 101

National Quality Center

New York State Department of Health

AIDS Institute

90 Church Street, 13th floor

New York, NY 10007-2919

Phone | 212.417.4730

Fax | 212.417.4684

Info@NationalQualityCenter.org

Improving HIV Care.

> NQC Timeline | 2004-2014

Each year we reached numerous goals we set for ourselves. Thank you to all HIV providers who participated and improved HIV care over the years. Join us and together we will continue to improve HIV care.

2004
-National Quality Center is founded

2005-HIVQUAL Regional Group Model expands; NQC holds its first Steering and Consumer Advisory Committee meetings
2006-NQC initiates monthly national TA Calls; NQC launches the Low Incidence Initiative
2007-NQC holds its first Training-of-Trainers (TOT) session; NQC rolls out the Quality Academy
2008-NQC launches the Cross-Part Collaborative; NQC gives out the first national Quality Awards
2009-NQC has its first Training of Quality Leaders (TQL) session; NQC organizes the first Part D Quality Improvement Conference
2010-NQC creates the Training on Coaching Basics (TCB) Program
2011-NQC introduces its national in+care Campaign; NQC initiates the DC Collaborative
2012-NQC is refunded by HRSA and now includes HIVQUAL activities; NQC holds its first Training of Consumers on Quality (TCQ) session
2013-NQC launches the Part C and Part D Quality Improvement Initiative
2014-NQC kicks off the HIV Cross-Part Care Continuum (H4C) Collaborative; NQC conducts an impact evaluation study

To learn more visit our detailed timeline |

The 1,000th Training Graduate | Utilization of NQC Services to Advance HIV Care

During the past 10 years, over 1,000 people have participated in NQC's advanced training programs. These trainees bring new skills and expertise back to their organizations and communities, and share what they have learned-greatly extending the reach of NQC's capacity building activities. Lea Dooley, program manager for HIV services at Nationwide Children's Hospital (NCH) in Columbus, Ohio, was the 1,000th person to attend an NQC training. She provides a typical example of how an NQC trainee takes their learning back to their organization, community, and beyond.

Lea attended NQC's Training on Coaching Basics Program (TCB) in Chicago, IL, which is designed to enhance the coaching skills of quality leaders so that they can help other HIV providers on quality improvement. The skills she learned at the training helped shape a readjustment of her program's management structure.

"We used the exercises from the TCB to help us clarify the chain of command and increase opportunities for staff to assume more leadership," states Lea. "We have been able to engage more staff in quality activities and helped them see the program from a larger perspective beyond their individual roles."

Staff participation in the program's quality management committee has tripled and all staff are showing much more interest in quality-related activities, especially the use of program data to drive improvement.

The TCB training has also guided the activities of a group of Ryan White grantees in the Columbus, Ohio area that meet on a monthly basis. The meetings focus on quality improvement and enhancing collaboration across providers.

NCH is also participating in NQC's HIV Cross-Part Care Continuum Collaborative (H4C), a five state initiative focusing on the use of performance measures to create alignment across programs within a state and foster collaboration around data collection and use of data for improvement.

"Ohio has been working to create an all-Parts database and collaborative for a long time and with H4C we are achieving it," states Lea. "We are working together, combining our data, and looking for ways to measure and compare our performance."

Involvement in H4C has also helped to increase consumer involvement at multiple levels.  "The work Ohio does with consumers is a big success story. Through H4C we have been able to funnel many consumers, as well as Ryan White staff, through NQC's trainings," states Lea. "NQC is also helping Ohio to conduct state-level trainings for consumers. We have already conducted one statewide training for consumers through the NQC, are collaborating on a second training that will take place this month, and have a third training in the works for spring 2015."

While Lea has benefited from NQC's trainings and Collaboratives, she also stresses the importance of working one-on-one with NQC staff and coaches. "I call NQC frequently," she states. "Whether it is tweaking some aspect of our program, such as coming up with a better format for our quality management plan or exploring the development of a new performance measure, having access to this expertise helps us to continually strengthen our quality-related efforts."

To learn more about TCB and join an upcoming session | NationalQualityCenter.org/TCB

To learn more about H4C | Click Here

> Reflections From the Field

We have asked NQC staff and consultants to reflect on their work over the years with NQC.

Kevin Garrett, LMSW, NQC Senior Manager:

'In the time I have been part of NQC, I have had the opportunity to participate in the development of our trainings and foster their implementation. It's always been gratifying to see not just the level of interest in our trainings but also in the high level of participant satisfaction. NQC takes particular pride in seeing the growth of the participants as they progress through each day - regardless of which training we are conducting. Knowing that we are delivering a quality product with such high satisfaction pushes us to continually "raise our game" and make the next session that much better for the grantees we serve.'

Nanette Brey-Magnani, EdD, NQC Consultant:

'The Ryan White grantees that I work with all want to deliver the best care they can but sometimes they need help breaking down the silos that prevent members of the HIV team from working together. To do this we use various tools such as diagrams depicting lines of accountability for quality management. I worked with the HIV team from one Part C grantee to develop such a diagram that included the organization's senior leadership, other departments within the organization such as ObGyn and Adult Medicine, the consumer advisory board, and funders (Part A and B). The diagram listed all HIV program staff by name. When the diagram was presented to staff, one team member remarked, "Now I know where I fit in!"

I've used this approach and tool with grantees from Parts A, B, C, and D, as well as in working across Parts, to develop their quality management system or infrastructure with similar results. It builds an understanding of where "I" fit in. Visual depictions of how teams and groups relate to each other greatly enhance everyone's understanding of how each person and group is accountable to others, to consumer groups, and to the achievement of the organization's mission.'

Barbara J. Boshard, BSN, MS, RN, NQC Consultant:

'As NQC Coach for South Carolina, I have worked with the South Carolina Regional Quality Improvement Team. This is a well-established improvement team that has been meeting since 2008. Through our work together we have made incredible strides in infrastructure development, training, and quality improvement initiatives. In just one year of working together we made many accomplishments:

Created a Regional Team Quality Management Plan

- Solidified infrastructure for data, leadership, and documentation

- Integrated Cross-collaboration into their regional team meetings

- Laid the foundation for the inclusion of consumers in quality improvement both regionally through this team and at the local agency level through consumer trainings and addition of consumers to teams

- Shared their data performance with one another on the in+Care campaign measures

- Collectively implemented quality initiatives at each agency around patient retention using the results of a regional group patient survey

- Conducted an evaluation of their regional team to identify priorities for their group

We were able to take a well-established program to the next level and further integrate their quality activities.'

> Help Wanted | Quality Improvement Consultants

Health Research, Inc., NQC's parent organization, seeks Quality Improvement Consultants. The consultant will be responsible for providing 'on-demand' coaching and technical assistance services to Ryan White Program-funded grantees across the U.S. in the development of specific skills in performance measurement, quality improvement, and quality management. The consultant will work to enhance the capacity for quality improvement in clinics and city/state health departments in his/her portfolio with the ultimate goal of supporting improvement in quality of HIV care.

For consideration, please email CV and cover letter including hourly rate requirement and specific, relevant experience in quality improvement to Kevin Garrett, LMSW, NQC Senior Manager | Kevin@NationalQualityCenter.org

> National TA Call | Back to Basics - Quality 101

This month NQC will return to the future - basic quality improvement principles and practice. Quality is here to stay. Ryan White grantees have embraced quality improvement methodologies as tools to improve HIV care. Despite of budget cuts, increasing caseloads, and having to "do more with less," grantees have made significant strides. New staff joining Ryan White funded grantees can use this as an opportunity to learn about quality principles and practices. It can also serve as a refresher in the fundamentals for existing staff.

The learning objectives for the call are:

- Key principles of quality improvement

- A brief word about data

- The PDSA Cycle

- Using quality improvement tools

Please join us; this will be an informative call and a good way to increase your QI IQ.

December 18, 2014 at 3:00 PM (ET)

Join the webinar | https://meetny.webex.com/meetny/j.php?MTID=m3be94dcad98de0042aa20efde726d871

To add this meeting to your calendar program (for example Microsoft Outlook), l
https://meetny.webex.com/meetny/j.php?MTID=m58511a2091d652cd48d4bec8d0e2ab41

> About Us

We provide no-cost, state-of-the-art technical assistance to all Ryan White Program-funded grantees to improve the quality of HIV care nationwide.

Send questions, comments, or suggestions | Info@NationalQualityCenter.org

This e-Newsletter is produced by the National Quality Center, a quality improvement initiative funded through a cooperative agreement with the Health Resources and Services Administration (HRSA) HIV/AIDS Bureau. For more information | NationalQualityCenter.org

To join our mailing list click here