NQC Logo

NQC e-Newsletter |  Your expert guide to resources and technical assistance focusing on improving HIV care.

Greetings,

Each year NQC and the HIV/AIDS Bureau recognize the work of grantees like you that have shown exemplary performance in various aspects of quality improvement. What makes this process difficult is picking applications that stand out because so many of the applications we receive demonstrate the deep commitment to quality management and outstanding performance measurement results that Ryan White grantee have achieved over the years. NQC and HAB urge you to be recognized for your hard work by applying for an NQC Quality Award that exemplifies your program's strength.

A brief reminder to you that we are holding our Training on Coaching Basics Program in June. Please see the details contained in this issue.

Regards,

Clemens Steinbock

Director, National Quality Center

Clemens@NationalQualityCenter.org

> In This Issue

> NQC News | NQC Quality Awards
> NQC News | 2014 Training Schedule: Sign Up Now
> NQC News | in+care Update
> Quality Corner | Jersey City Medical Center
> Consumer Perspective | Matthew Tochenhagen
> Quality Tip of the Month | Diffusion of Innovation
> National TA Call | Framework for Consumer Involvement

> NQC News | 2014 Quality of Care Awards | It's not too Late!

Each year, NQC presents awards to individuals and grantees involved in quality improvement activities. These awards recognize the excellent work done by Ryan White grantees in putting the principles of quality improvement into practice. The deadline to apply for an Award has been extended to April 15 so it's not too late. Be recognized - apply today!

Download the application | http://nationalqualitycenter.org/index.cfm/5847/17961

Many thanks to all who already submitted nominations. The winners will be announced in the near future.

> NQC News | American Board of Medical Specialties and the New York State Dept. of Health

The New York State Department of Health (NYSDOH) is approved as an American Board of Medical Specialties (ABMS) Portfolio Sponsor beginning January 2014 through January 2016, with physician participation limited to those who are practicing in facilities/practices receiving technical assistance through the National Quality Center (NQC). New York State providers are eligible through their participation in the NYS AIDS Institute HIV Quality of Care Program.

Please note the recently announced changes to the ABIM MOC program.

From ABIM: Beginning in 2014, in addition to reporting board certification, the ABIM will also report whether or not all ABIM Board certified physicians are "meeting MOC requirements." The new MOC program requirements apply to all ABIM Board Certified physicians, regardless of when they were initially certified. You will need to complete an MOC activity by December 31, 2015 to keep your "Meeting MOC Requirements" status. You will continue to be certified for the length of your current certification(s), assuming you hold a current and valid license. If you hold certification(s) that are valid indefinitely, you will not lose those certifications.

Please visit the ABIM for more information | http://moc2014.abim.org/whats-changing.aspx

NQC Offerings | 2014 Training on Coaching Basics: Sign Up Now!

Training on Coaching Basics: June, 9-11, Chicago, IL

The TCB Program focuses on building the quality improvement capacity of quality leaders to coach other HIV providers on quality improvement. It is designed for those individuals who currently work in Ryan White Program-funded grantees, are instrumental in managing existing quality management programs, and are charged in assisting other agencies within their HIV/AIDS network with advancing their quality management programs and quality improvement activities. Participants are expected to complete pre-work activities and six months of post-course work. TCB participants must have successfully completed with the Training-of-Trainer or the Training of Quality Leaders Program.

Learn more about and/or apply to the TCB | http://nationalqualitycenter.org/index.cfm/5847/37251

Quality Corner | A Quality Tool Developed by Consumers to Resolve Complaints?

After many years in the private sector focusing on quality improvement, Bob Leavitt brought his expertise to the Consumer Advisory Committee (CAC) of the New Haven Part A EMA. When the CAC was formed about 2 years ago, in addition to other activities, members set about developing a quality improvement tool that could be used by providers to engage consumers. Other members of the CAC brought years of HIV advocacy experience to the process, which allowed the committee to tailor the tool to reflect the realities of living with HIV.

The QCPC process starts when a consumer submits feedback about an issue or a concern. The worksheet guides the process and staff responds to the consumer's concerns by asking a series of questions. For example, if a consumer reports long waits in the waiting room prior to appointments, the questions could explore why the consumer had to wait, what processes could be changed, and what staff could do differently.

The CAC created a worksheet, the Quality Clinic Process Chart (QCPC), based on Japanese quality theory. It focuses on the "5 Whys," a series of questions designed to get to the root of a problem. The worksheet is designed to respond to consumers' concerns and provide an interactive vehicle to engage consumers and providers on issues. The QCPC also captures demographic information about who submitted the feedback, such as income level. This allows staff to take these variables into consideration in order to craft a more appropriate response.

"Consumers possess the expertise when it comes to improving the delivery of services," says Bob, who chairs the CAC. "Incorporating them into the process acknowledges that their opinions matter."

Key to the QCPC process is posting the results for consumers to see and comment-additional comments may indicate that it is a problem experienced by many consumers (i.e., the tip of the iceberg) as opposed to an isolated problem. It also allows consumers to provide input about the proposed changes and whether they address the problem.

"When consumers see that our thoughts and ideas are given attention by a provider's quality committee and the outcome is posted for all to see it can build a sense of empowerment and partnership with providers," says Bob. He also adds that sometimes people may not realize that there is a problem unless someone else raises the issue. Posting the results can serve to recognize the existence of an issue and validate the proposed changes.

Now that the QCPC worksheet has been developed, the next step for the CAC is to promote its availability and work with providers in the EMA to initiate use.

"It can be a foreign idea to address issues in such an open way," says Bob. "This process is designed to be a proactive, inclusive way to bring about change."

For more information on the QCPC worksheet contact Bob Leavett at iambobel@gmail.com.

> NQC e-Newsletter | Volume 6 | Issue 68 | April 2014

Quick Links

> Upcoming Events | April - May

> Upcoming Events | April - May

April 15 | Quality of Care Award Deadline

April 11 | Deadline to apply to TQL

April 17 | National TA Call | Cascade versus Continuum of Care

May 15 | National TA Call | Finding the Perfect Measure

May 6 to 8 | Training of Quality Leaders session

May 9 | Deadline to apply for the TQL

> Consumer Perspective | Linda Spinner

People typically think of a consultant as someone who provides specialized services to various clients. This certainly describes Linda Spinner.

After serving for more than 20 years as a volunteer for the Greater New Bedford Community Health Center, Linda served as a consultant in the design of the Center's Spectrum Program, which focuses on helping HIV consumers remain in care. Since the launch of the program, Linda has served as the peer navigation consultant, working 24 hours each week.

The Spectrum Program is an intensive, 6-month process that focuses on engagement in care, connecting patients to the necessary support services, and achieving viral suppression. The program targets patients in greatest need of support-only 20 slots are available and an assessment tool is used to determine eligibility.

"Before Spectrum started there were a lot of consumers, especially women, who would not come into the health center," says Linda. "This is a way to take our services into the community and meet consumers where they are at."

The intervention is based around a nurse and a peer navigator-Linda-who work with consumers on a weekly basis to establish tailored systems of care and a schedule designed to help the consumer stay in care. The nurse goes into the community to provide patient care-in the home or where ever the consumer prefers. While Linda is involved throughout the initial 4-month period, her involvement increases during the last 2 months when patients are transitioned out of the Spectrum Program. Linda works with consumers to make sure they are linked to regular case management services and that all their support services (e.g., housing) are in place.

This is where Linda's other efforts come into play. Linda is on the Board of Directors of A.I.D.S. Inc., a non-profit organization dedicated to meeting the needs of people living with HIV that are not covered though other programs. Through her involvement in A.I.D.S. Inc., Linda can help consumer pay their power bills, buy a new pair of glasses, or meet other needs.

Linda also has a long-term commitment to empowering women living with HIV. This will mark the 11th year that Linda has been one of the co-organizers of a conference focused on women living with HIV in the New Bedford/Boston area. The conference, called This Could Never Happen to Me, grew out of the experience of Linda and her two co-organizers who felt isolated as women living with HIV. The conference includes motivational speakers and panels of women with HIV describing their personal experiences. In 2013, the conference had over 250 participants.

In addition to all her other efforts, Linda is also involved in advocacy-related work. She serves on the consumer advisory board (CAB) for the Greater New Bedford Community Health Center and is also on the CAB for the state of Massachusetts.

While a long-time veteran of HIV services, Linda participated in NQC's Training of Consumers on Quality in spring 2013. In addition to building lasting relationships with other consumers that she can rely on for ongoing support as she continues her work in this area, Linda says she picked up useful skills.

"Before the training, I could be overwhelmed by all the paper handed out during meetings," she says. "Now, I understand the data on all those papers and can use it as a tool. I can see how the numbers can be translated into better services. This helps me in my work at the local and state level."

For more information on Linda's work contact her at: lspinner@gnbchc.org

> Quality Tip of the Month | HAB Measures

In the next few months you will receive an announcement about two new tutorials from the Quality Academy, both focusing on the HAB Measures. Before we finalize their publication though, NQC asks you: Did you know that HAB encourages you to modify the measures to meet the needs of your patients and local community? HAB recognizes that the measures are not "one size fits all" and that local modifications are in keeping with the spirit of making measurement as meaningful as possible for your patients.

NQC has other resources to provide guidance on choosing measures. Quality Academy tutorials 7 and 8 - Acting on Measurement and Choosing Quality Measures for HIV Care and Services -respectively are a good start. Also, the NQC publication 'Measuring Clinical Performance: A Guide for HIV Health Care Providers' offers invaluable information on measurement.

> National TA Webinar | Moving Beyond Data: Choosing the Right Improvement Project

Our call this month will focus on how to choose an improvement project that will have impact in your Ryan White Program. Many grantees have rich sets of data at their disposal but struggle with setting improvement priorities. Our main presenter this month will be Dr. Kathleen Clanon, along with selected grantees that have experience in this topic.

Learning Objectives:

  • Understand what you data is telling you
  • How to set priorities for your quality improvement work
  • Choosing the project that will have the most impact

The link to the webinar can be found on the NQC website. Simply go to:

http://nationalqualitycenter.org/index.cfm/17403

and click on the meeting link. You will be brought to the webinar. In addition, our new webinar platform offers the opportunity for you to type in your number in a pop up window that will appear after sign in - click Call Me, and the system will call you back at the number you provided.

National Quality Center

New York State Department of Health

AIDS Institute

90 Church Street, 13th floor

New York, NY 10007-2919

Phone | 212.417.4730

Fax | 212.417.4684

Email | Info@NationalQualityCenter.org

Sharing, Training, Consulting.

Improving HIV Care.

> About Us

We provide no-cost, state-of-the-art technical assistance to all Ryan White Program-funded grantees to improve the quality of HIV care nationwide.

Send questions, comments, or suggestions | Info@NationalQualityCenter.org

This e-Newsletter is produced by the National Quality Center, a quality improvement initiative funded through a cooperative agreement with the Health Resources and Services Administration (HRSA) HIV/AIDS Bureau. For more information | NationalQualityCenter.org

To join our mailing list click here

If you would like a colleague to receive the NQC e-Newsletter, ask them to send an email to: news-join@NationalQualityCenter.org
. This will automatically subscribe them.

If you wish to unsubscribe, please send an email to:

news-leave@NationalQualityCenter.org