NQC Logo

NQC e-Newsletter |  Your expert guide to resources and technical assistance focusing on improving HIV care.

Greetings,

The HIV/AIDS Bureau is revising the portfolio of performance measures. Providing feedback on the proposed changes to the HIV/AIDS Bureau (HAB) is a critical aspect of this process. We encourage you to take the time and review the proposed measurement changes and send in your feedback. One of the goals of this update is to align the HAB measures with other federal programs.

Please take the time and share your comments directly with HAB - HIVmeasures@hrsa.gov.  The deadline for your comments is July 12, 2013.

To access the recent webinar on the update to the Measures  l  click here

Enjoy your summer,

Clemens Steinbock

Director, National Quality Center

Clemens@NationalQualityCenter.org

> In This Issue

> NQC News | Training of Consumers on Quality (TCQ) Update
> NQC News | Multi-Specialty Maintenance of Certification (MOC) Approval Program
> NQC News | in+care Campaign Update
> Real World Quality | Eva Williams
> Consumer Perspective | Randall Furrow
> NQC Consultant Spotlight | Dan Sendzik
> NQC Offering | Job Forum
> Highlights from the NQC Collection | Health Literacy

> NQC News | Training of Consumers on Quality (TCQ) Update

An important part of NQC's mission is to increase the number of consumers actively participating in local quality management committees and regional quality improvement activities. To ensure that consumers are well prepared to fully participate in these activities, NQC has developed numerous resources designed to build understanding and increase consumers' knowledge of quality improvement principles which will allow them to particiapte on quality committees. In addition to these resources, NQC provides a rigorous hands-on training program titled the Training of Consumers on Quality (TCQ). This spring, two TQCs were held, adding to the cadre of consumers who are becoming active participants in quality activities in their communities.

Grantees have played a key role in partnering with NQC to conduct our pilot programs. They clearly have a commitment to engaging grantees into their quality improvement activities. All TCQ participants secured written letters support from their local healthcare provider for inclusion on QI teams and/or within QI activities. Grantees have also supported the TQC by providing a venue for the training to be held.

NQC conducted three pilot trainings to test the curriculum and collect consumer feedback. These two training sessions wrap up the pilot phase. The curriculum will now be finalized and made available to Ryan White Program grantees. The training covers quality improvement principles and terminologies, building health numeracy skills, how to work on quality improvement teams, how to be an effective member of a quality committee, and performance measurement.

On May 13-15, 2013, 28 consumers attended a TCQ session in Atlanta, co-sponsored with the Georgia Department of Health. In partnership with Sacramento CARES, a second TCQ session was held June 7-9, 2013 with 24 participants. The participants came from 14 states and reflected the diversity of Ryan White Program consumers - men, women, transgender individuals, racial/ethnic minorities, young people, and long-term survivors.

TCQ participants have not waited to put their learning into practice. They have formed a Facebook Group to continue peer learning and sharing. Five of the participants have already made presentations to their sponsoring organization on how to improve consumer involvement in quality improvement activities. In addition, several participants have joined clinical quality management teams.

For more information | nationalqualitycenter.org/index.cfm/5847/78022

> NQC News | Multi-Specialty Maintenance of Certification (MOC) Approval Program

Physicians who are engaged in quality improvement through NQC and its HIVQUAL activities may be eligible to earn 20 points of Maintenance of Certification (MOC) Part IV practice credit from the medical specialty boards list below. So far, 14 physicians have received practice credit while engaging in quality improvement through the NQC.

The specialty boards are:

  • Allergy and Immunology
  • Anesthesiology
  • Dermatology
  • Emergency Medicine
  • Family Medicine
  • Internal Medicine
  • Medical Genetics
  • Obstetrics and Gynecology
  • Otolaryngolgy
  • Pediatrics
  • Physician Medicine and Rehabilitation
  • Prevention Medicine
  • Psychiatry and Neurology
  • Surgery

Learn more       http://nationalqualitycenter.org/index.cfm/5847/82770

> NQC News | in+care Campaign Update - Next Steps

NQC is seeking input on the next steps for the in+care Campaign. To get this feedback we are conducting a survey designed to help us evaluate our current NQC Campaign activities and how to potentially continue key Campaign activities beyond December 2013. We would like feedback on all Campaign activities, including our website, webinars, coaching, and data submission process. Also, we want to know which of the Campaign activities have been of most use in your quality improvement activities. The survey is open until July 5 and takes only 5-10 minutes to complete.

Access the survey | www.surveymonkey.com/s/JQ2X7JK

Improved Website

Visit the in+care Campaign and see the improvements we have made. You will now find all the past webinars (slides, recordings, and chat transcripts) listed by category under the EVENTS tab. In addition, Campaign staff is scouring the web for material related to retention in HIV care to add to our resources. The Campaign seeks to be your central gateway for materials and information on retention in HIV care. Our next step is to further enhance the improvement strategies section by category to make materials easier to find.

Visit the website | www.incarecampaign.org

Deadlines

The next data submission deadline for the in+care Campaign is August 1, 2013 and the next cut off for improvement strategy submissions is July 15, 2013.

In addition to sending your data, share your improvement stories | www.incarecampaign.org/index.cfm/78891

Upcoming Events

In the coming months the Campaign will focus on the following topics:

July: Patient Navigation and Retention

August: Migrants, Refugees and Retention

September: Women and Retention

October: Sex Workers and Retention (male and female)

Learn more about the in+care Campaign | www.incarecampaign.org

> Real World Quality | Eva Williams

As the Team Lead for Quality at the Georgia Department of Public Health's HIV Office, Eva Williams, FNP, MPH, often serves as a go between-linking Part B staff and subgrantees to the NQC for resources and training. For example, Part B quality team staff have attended NQC's Training of Quality Leaders and Training on Coaching Basics.

"The more that we all know about quality, the better we are able to facilitate quality-related activities within the state and with subgrantees," says Eva. "We can take the skills we learn and disseminate this information further."

Eva also informs subgrantees and other key stakeholders about NQC resources and encourages them to take advantage of the trainings and tools. For example, consumers participated in a recent Training of Consumers in Quality that was held in Atlanta.

Participation in the in+care Campaign has also helped to increase quality-related collaboration across the state. "The Campaign has really helped us focus on the goals of the National HIV/AIDS Strategy and align our measures to support these goals," says Eva. "We are collecting useful data and using CAREWare to look at specific areas related to performance."

Through their participation in the in+care Campaign the state is now working with the Part A grantee (Atlanta) and Part D grantee to set goals based on an analysis of the data that are being collected.

"We are collecting the data that we need to be looking at and using the data in effective ways," concludes Eva. "We are fortunate to have a history of collaboration across Parts and a strong quality foundation in Georgia."

> NQC e-Newsletter | Volume 7 | Issue 61 | Jul 2013

Quick Links

> Upcoming Events | July - August

July 18 | National TA Call | Health Literacy

July 12 | Deadline to submit comments to HAB on the Measures

July 15 | in+care Improvement Strategy submissions due

August 1 | in+care data submission due

> Consumer Perspective | Randall Furrow

As a nine-year veteran of the Phoenix EMA Ryan White Planning Council, and its current Chair, Randall Furrow has extensive knowledge of the delivery of Ryan White-funded services in the EMA. About two years ago, Randall participated in a regional training conducted by the NQC. The training brought together providers from across Ryan White Parts, providing an introduction to quality management with a focus on the measurement of health care outcomes. Since his introduction to NQC, Randall has attended the Training of Consumers on Quality (TCQ), which was held in July 2012, and another regional training in MONTH 2013, which focused on medical case management.

In his a leadership role on the Council, Randall is using many of the skills he developed from the NQC trainings, especially in the areas of goal setting, strategic planning setting priorities for allocation, and performance measurement. Most recently, the Council has been proactive in supporting the implementation of the Affordable Care Act (ACA) in Arizona. Council members have received training on the ACA and four work groups have been formed, focusing on such issues as marketing and consumer education. In the EMA, service providers are being asked to educate their consumers about the ACA, with the goal being that by January 1, 2014, all consumers will be on track to be enrolled in the appropriate health care program. To assist service providers in this process, the Council plans to develop a kit focused on educating and enrolling consumers. Randall was recently appointed to chair the NQC consumer advisory committee filling the role of outgoing chair, Deloris Dockrey. Randall is using his skills and experience to engage CAC member in monthly conference calls which he facilitates as well as working with NQC staff to develop meeting agendas.

Another priority for the Council is adoption of EMA-wide performance measures. The EMA is participating in the in+care Campaign and has adopted the Campaign's performance measures.

"We are looking to streamline and simplify performance measurement across providers," says Randall. "Using fewer measures will allow us to focus our efforts in those areas."

"NQC trainings stress the importance of sharing ideas and working together," continues Randall. "NQC brought providers together and we have continued to build on this collaboration as we expand our quality management activities in the EMA."

> NQC Consultant Spotlight |

Dan Sendzik

Dan Sendzik serves as NQC Coach for New Jersey, Kentucky, and the Nashville metropolitan area, as well as working with the Ryan White Part B programs in the State Health Departments of New Jersey and Delaware. He has served as an NQC coach since 2006.

Dan began working in the field of HIV 29 years ago. When one of his friends developed AIDS, he began volunteering through his local church. Determined to work in the field of HIV, he soon took a job as a night manager for the first shelter for homeless people with AIDS on Long Island. At the same he began serving as Educational Consultant on AIDS with the National Council of Churches, creating the first AIDS education packet for churches in the United States. This led to his becoming the first AIDS prevention writer in the New York City Department of Health, then moving into administration as Senior Planner for AIDS Services. Most recently Dan directed two Ryan White-funded hospital-based programs, at North General Hospital in Harlem, and as Executive Director of PATH, the HIV service of The Brooklyn Hospital Center from 1997-2011. Through his experience at North General and Brooklyn Hospitals, Dan joined the AIDS Quality of Care Advisory Committee of the New York State Department of Health AIDS Institute, where he served as a member for 12 years. Dan was also a member of the first class of the Health Care Executive Program, sponsored by HRSA and Johnson & Johnson, conducted at UCLA Anderson School of Management.

Before launching Regional Groups in Kentucky and Nashville, Dan conducted "listening sessions." He visited each Part C/D clinic to hear what their staff and consumers hoped that the Regional Group could provide and encouraged them to invest their time and talent in the process. First meetings, held in late 2012 and early 2013, focused on sharing quality improvement needs and drawing a roadmap for meetings in the year ahead. Of the 20 individual grantees that Dan works with, he visits each one at least annually to conduct an assessment of their quality improvement needs, which feed directly into the Regional Groups' priorities.

Dan's interest in education and writing has led him to develop a number of resources for AIDS-affected families. These include a resource guide for parents with HIV, and a resource guide for grandparents and new guardians of children who have lost a parent to HIV. Dan is author and illustrator of "Josie's Story," a coloring book/counseling tool for children who have a parent with HIV.

> NQC Offering | Job Forum

What good are all NQC's great resources if your organization doesn't have anyone to use them? To help Ryan White grantees fill their quality-related job vacancies, NQC established the Job Forum. On the Forum, Ryan White Program grantees can post quality improvement-related vacancies. In addition, NQC maintains sample quality improvement job descriptions from grantees.

If you have a vacancy, please post your job description. If you are looking for a job, be sure to check out the Job Forum regularly.

Visit the Job Forum | click here

> Highlights from the NQC Collection | Health Literacy

Health literacy-the capacity to obtain, process, and understand basic health information and services needed to make appropriate health decisions-is critical to improved health outcomes. Poor health literacy can have serious human and economic consequences including failure to access preventive services, poor management of chronic disease, higher rates of hospitalization, and poorer health status overall. There are many barriers to improving health literacy such as language, culture, education level, and socioeconomic status. This call will focus on the efforts of a provider that has put health literacy into quality improvement practice. NQC encourages attendees to share how they have also used health literacy to improve patient services.

Health care providers can help their patients improve their health literacy. NQC has developed a variety of resources to help providers understand the challenges created by low health literacy and take steps to improve health literacy among their patients.

National TA Call: Health Literacy

July 18, 3:00-4:00 pm ET

Register today  l  click here

As part of our newly expanded National Technical Assistance (TA) Calls, NQC is now suggesting that grantees review these resources before the upcoming TA Call. These resources will help you to frame questions for our presenters and enhance your learning experience.

Previous Technical Assistance Calls

Health Literacy, October 2012

http://nationalqualitycenter.org/index.cfm/17414/82406

Improving Health Literacy, October 2010

http://nationalqualitycenter.org/index.cfm/17414/21770

Health Literacy, October 2009

http://nationalqualitycenter.org/index.cfm/17414/21770

Quality Academy Tutorial 23: Understanding and Addressing Health Literacy

This Tutorial defines the concept of health literacy and explains why it matters in HIV care. It provides strategies that can support improved health literacy among the users of services. These strategies include screening for health literacy and actions to take in preparing educational health materials.

http://nationalqualitycenter.org/index.cfm/6101/20403

National Quality Center

New York State Department of Health

AIDS Institute

90 Church Street, 13th floor

New York, NY 10007-2919

Phone | 212.417.4730

Fax | 212.417.4684

Email | Info@NationalQualityCenter.org

Sharing, Training, Consulting.

Improving HIV Care.

> About Us

We provide no-cost, state-of-the-art technical assistance to all Ryan White Program-funded grantees to improve the quality of HIV care nationwide.

Send questions, comments, or suggestions | Info@NationalQualityCenter.org

This e-Newsletter is produced by the National Quality Center, a quality improvement initiative funded through a cooperative agreement with the Health Resources and Services Administration (HRSA) HIV/AIDS Bureau. For more information | NationalQualityCenter.org

To join our mailing list click here

If you would like a colleague to receive the NQC e-Newsletter, ask them to send an email to: news-join@NationalQualityCenter.org
. This will automatically subscribe them.

If you wish to unsubscribe, please send an email to:

news-leave@NationalQualityCenter.org