Jim Lukens will be retiring soon as the Southern SAWG Executive Director,
and the Board of Directors is initiating a search for candidates for that position.
Please help us to share the following position announcement widely.
A PDF format version of this announcement is available at
Southern Sustainable Agriculture Working Group
The Southern Sustainable Agriculture Working Group (Southern SAWG) is seeking to hire a new Executive Director. The Executive Director will be responsible for leading the organization in its work of empowering and inspiring farmers, individuals, and communities throughout the South to create a sustainable agriculture and food system. Whereas relocation to Arkansas is not necessary for the successful candidate, southern residence is required.
The Southern Sustainable Agriculture Working Group (Southern SAWG) has been one of the lead organizations working for the past 22 years to foster a more sustainable food and agriculture system throughout the Southern region - one that yields dignity and economic viability for farmers and farm workers, and provides safe and secure food for all, produced in harmony with nature. We are engaged in extensive outreach and education over a broad and diverse region, both geographically and demographically. Southern SAWG links more than 150 organizations and many individuals throughout the 13 Southern states of AL, AR, FL, GA, KY, LA, MS, NC, OK, SC, TN, TX, & VA.
Ideal candidates for this position will:
- Provide visionary leadership to a 22-year old dynamic and growing organization in the sustainable agriculture movement.
- Be capable of effective resource development for and sound fiscal management of diverse income streams
- Be an experienced and effective leader within a virtual and dynamic work environment that includes some travel.
- Have exceptionally strong relationship-building skills.
- Enjoy the complexity and rewards of leading a multi-faceted, regional organization covering a wide diversity of demographics and agro-ecosystems.
- Be an effective manager of a dedicated team that is comprised of diverse professional staff and contractors.
- Be able to effectively engage and work with the board of directors.
- Understand the relationship of local and regional efforts to effect systemic change in the farming and food system, particularly where resources are scarce.
- Be an excellent communicator dedicated to transparency and accountability for and within the organization.
- Be computer literate, with proficiency using Microsoft Office, Internet and email.
Currently, Southern SAWG has an administrative office in Fayetteville, Arkansas. However, a majority of the staff and contractors operate out of their home offices.
For a full job description, please visit: http://www.ssawg.org/storage/EDJobDescription.pdf. SSAWG is committed to the principle of equal opportunity and equal treatment for every current and prospective employee. Substantial efforts are made to seek out potential candidates among women, minority groups, and individuals with disabilities.
To apply: Send a resume, a substantive cover letter highlighting why you would be good for this position and this position would be good for you, three writing samples that demonstrate the ability to write for differing audiences and handle the content with differing levels of technical detail, and contact information for three professional references to Southern SAWG Board President Stephan Walker at email@example.com. Contact (870) 575-7237 for questions.
Application deadline is July 31, 2013.
Position start date is no later than April 1, 2014.