Thursday, July 26, 2012
We hope you've been out and about getting to enjoy our amazing Tetons and all that the Valley has to offer. Summer is definitely the time of the year here where you can see all our friends who we are fortunate to share this place and call home!
Following are some updates, including information on our exciting new Fitness Class website interface!
Lisa & Jay
calendar for Fitness Classes is now online!
This new system, called Mindbody, will allow you to:
- View the overall schedule in an easier to follow format.
- Confirm which instructor is teaching a class.
- Check the current status of your punch card.
- Browse your history of classes attended.
- Register for classes online to insure you get a spot.
- Reserve a place for your child in childcare.
- Receive timely notifications about class changes/cancellations.
Please visit the front of the shop to check on your punch card status and get a tour of Mindbody.com!
We do need you to create a new log-in account to activate you in the new system. Please go HERE to do so. Just click on the Sign Up! button under Username/Email in the upper left-hand corner.
You can also go to the "Fitness Classes" tab on the Dreamchaser's website for more details by clicking HERE as well.
Thank you for helping us make this transition to this improved system!!!
Local Races and Events
The 36th annual John Colter Half Marathon takes place Saturday, August 4th at 8:00am.
The John Colter Half Marathon and 2 Mile Fun Run is a Teton Valley running tradition that started in 1976. Always scheduled for the first Saturday in August, the courses start and finish in Driggs City Park in the city of Driggs, Idaho, with the half-marathon covering almost 5 miles in Alta, Wyoming.
Register at Dreamchasers in Driggs or online HERE!
Registration will be available on the day of the race from 6:45am-7:45am at Driggs City Park (corner of 2nd & Ashley) - cash or check only please; Race Day packet pick-up also available in Driggs City park from 6:45am-7:45am.
Don't forget about the other great local races that are coming up in the next few months. There is still time to get some miles in and come out to run these beautiful courses.
We can always use volunteers as well to come out and lend a hand and cheer on your friends and neighbors.
Grand Teton Races: September 1, 2012
50-mile, 50k, Marathon,
10k, and Kid's Fun Run.
Jackson Hole Marathon Events September 23, 2012
Marathon, Half Marathon,
and Marathon Relay.
Yellowstone-Teton Endurance Races October 6-7, 2012
100-mile, 50-mile, and 100-mile
Relay road races.
to go to all races for full details and registration links.
Two new Fitness Classes for the month of August.
As we get closer to Fall our class offerings will transition back to a full schedule. Be sure and use our new, streamlined calendar
to view the new August schedule.
Boxing/Kick Boxing with Shane Swartz
Shane was an alternate on the 1996 Olympic Team and ended his amateur career with over 300 amateur bouts, 6 National Titles and being ranked as high as #2 in the World. Shane brings his lifetime of boxing knowledge to Teton Valley and Dreamchasers! This will clas, which will start in early August, is open to all levels and will provide a great cardio release! Check the August schedule for available times.
Core/Cardio class with Julie Bryan
This class will be Monday's from 7:30am-8:30am. Here is a link to Julie's Bio on our website: BIO
Check the schedule on our new online system to confirm all classes please.
Below are our weekly running sessions. These sessions are geared to ALL levels of runners and are a great way to stay motivated!
Mondays: Group Trail Run with Julie Bryan - 5:30pm
Tuesdays: Track work out with Lisa in Driggs - 5:30pm
Wednesdays: Chi Running Fundamentals @ Dreamchasers - 6:30pm
Fall Fitness/Running Camp here in Teton Valley!!!
with coaches Lisa Smith Batchen, Marshall Ulrich, and Ray Zahab!
(If you've never heard of Marshall and/or Ray...Google them...you'll be amazed!)
What You Will Do, Experience, and Learn
- 2 Daily Training runs
- Videotaping for gait analysis
- Cross-training sessions
- Classroom sessions
- Formal Q & A
- Informal discussions
- Other camp participants (everyone has knowledge to share!)
You will learn how to:
- Improve your running style through video taping and gait analysis.
- Hydrate and fuel yourself for training, racing, and recovery.
- Train for specific conditions: the heat of the desert or the Arctic cold.
- Prepare for road, mountain, trail, or stage races.
- Train and run on trails.
- Train for mountain running, including handling
altitude and cold.
- Power walk effectively to improve your race results.
- Use cross training techniques to strengthen the core.
- Overcome mental obstacles through troubleshooting.
- Take care of your body and feet, including clothing and equipment selection.
- Prepare and work with pacers and crew.
- Maintain a balance a in your life. (No...it's not all about the running.)
SPECIAL PRICING FOR LOCAL ATTENDEES WHO DO NOT NEED ACCOMMODATIONS!!!
Go to our camp web page HERE for more details.
Teton Running Co.
We thought we would throw out a special deal in each newsletter as a way of saying thank you!
This time we are offering 15% off all Swiftwick socks! Made in the USA with an unconditional guarantee. Now is the time to stock up on these compressive, moisture-wicking, anti-microbial wonders! Just mention this promotion when you come in the store. Offer is good through Friday, August 3rd.
We are also getting new shoe stock in every week. Come in and check out all the great options we have for all varieties of runners/walkers.
Dreamchasers punch card holders get 10% off everyday. Check us out online as well:
This editions recipe:
Mexican Waffles? What could that be? Well, I'm here to tell you that it could possibly be the best breakfast food I have ever made. There was sweet and spicy. There was cool and heat. Then of course there was the fact that is was perfect for a recovery meal.
I love breakfast food and it doesn't matter what time of the day I eat it, as it always tastes great. After seeing the show The Best Thing I Ever Ate I was inspired to make these waffles, but I couldn't make them in the middle of the week because it had to be a treat. The day came when on Saturday I had a 3.5 hour ride and 20 minute race pace run. I was so excited about these waffles that I set a PR on my 60 mile course by getting it done in 3h12m. Normally I would have kept going for the remaining 18 minutes but the waffles were calling my name. I got the run done and then practically raced home to get going on the waffles. It was perfect.
Here is the recipe for the Mexican Waffles:
Ingredients: 1/2c Grapevine Grains Pancake Mix (click on the link to order and enter CTER for a 10% discount), 1 ear roasted corn on the cob, 1/4c black beans (drained and rinsed), 0.5c water, 1 medium tomato (sliced), 2 thin slices red onion, 50g cucumber, 1 small avocado, 1 small jalapeno, bunch cilantro, 1c water
Nutritional Information: 381 calories, 75g Carbs, 4g Fat, 14g Protein
- Preaheat oven to 405* and place corn in oven while still in husk. Allow to roast for approximately 20 minutes.
- In food processor combine cucumber, avocado, jalapeno and water and combine until it forms a loose soup.
- In a separate bowl combine mix with black beans and let sit until corn is done cooking.
- Toward end of 20 minutes of corn roasting turn on waffle iron and allow to pre-heat.
- Remove corn from oven and slice kernels from the cob and add approximately 1/2 of the kernels to the batter.
- Once mix with beans and corn is well combined.
- Pour batter onto waffle iron and allow to cook per manufacturer's directions.
- While waffles are cooking assemble platter by adding sliced tomato and red onion alternatively while adding corn and 1 Tbsp of avocado soup over top.
- After waffles are cooked place on plate and sprinkle another 1 Tbsp of the avocado soup over top of the waffles.
- Serve with a cup of hot coffee or tea and orange juice. If it's late enough in the day serve with Corona.
Thanks to our friend Jason over at CookTrainEatRace!!!
DREAMCHASERS - 47 SOUTH MAIN ST., DRIGGS, ID 83422 - USA