|Try this Oolong Turkey Marinade for Thanksgiving.|
Get a Gift Card for Every Tea of the Month subscription you buy.
Give Tea Year-Round & Get a Gift!*
Order a Tea of the Month Club and get a $5-$25 gift card.
$25 gift card
$10 gift card
$5 gift card
|Oolong imparts a lovely, delicate flavor to the meat.|
"This turkey breast, which is marinated in oolong tea
brewed with aromatic spices makes for an elegant main, whether at the Thanksgiving table or any night of the week."
Recipe Type: Entree
Yield: 4 to 6 Servings
- 2 quarts water
- 1/4 cup loose oolong tea leaves (We recommend Dark Goddess Oolong.)
- 1/2 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon whole black peppercorns
- 1 2-inch piece fresh ginger, sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon cloves
- 1/2 tablespoon mustard seeds
- 2 star anise
- 1 (4- to 6- pound/1.8- to 2.7-kilogram) boneless turkey breast
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- Heat the water in a large pot or saucepan until steaming but not quite boiling. Add the tea and brown sugar and stir until the sugar dissolves.
- Add the peppercorns, ginger, cloves, mustard seeds, and star anise.
- Remove from the heat and allow the marinade cool to room temperature (be sure it is cool before adding the turkey - you don't want to cook it. If you're in a rush put it in the fridge.).
- Put the turkey breast in a large bowl and pour the marinade over (or, to save dishes, add the turkey breast to the pot).
- Refrigerate for 12 to 24 hours.
- When ready to roast the turkey, preheat the oven to 350°F/180°C.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat and add the oil. Add the turkey breast and sear until golden-brown on each side, about 2 to 3 minutes per side.
- Remove the turkey from the pan and place it on a rack in a roasting pan.
- Bake until it reaches an internal temperature of 160°F/70°C on an instant-read thermometer. The time required for this will depend on the weight of the breast, roughly 15 minutes per pound/455 grams, or 60 to 90 minutes.
- Remove the turkey from the oven. Allow to rest for 10 to 15 minutes before slicing. Serve warm.
Thanks for sharing your love of tea.
Let us know if there is something you'd like to see in the newsletters for the upcoming months.
Tim Smith, Chief Leaf
The Tea Smith, L.L.C.
|Store Locations |
345 No. 78th St
1118 Howard St
|Receive a $5-$25 gift card*||
For each Tea of the Month Club you buy, a gift card will be sent to you.
Purchase a 1 year Tea of the Month subscription, receive a $25 gift card.
Purchase a 6 month Tea of the Month subscription, receive a $10 gift card.
Purchase a 3 month Tea of the Month subscription, receive a $5 gift card.
* There is no discount on the Tea of the Month Club.
Offer Expires: November 27, 11:59pm CT