|Welcome to Campus!|
Welcome all new Graduate School of Engineering students!
And welcome back continuing students!
We hope you all had a wonderful summer and are settled into the 2013-2014 school year.
|Message from the Student Services Team
Have a question about registration, graduation requirements or upcoming deadlines? Email us or make an appointment using our Online Scheduling system. We also hold walk-in hours Monday-Friday from 2-4pm. No question or concern is too small to be discussed, so don't hesitate to contact your assigned program coordinator:
- Computer Systems Engineering
- Energy Systems
- Engineering Management
- Information Systems
- Telecommunication Systems Management
- Chemical Engineering
- Civil Engineering
- Electrical and Computer Engineering
- Industrial Engineering
- Information Assurance
- Interdisciplinary Studies
- Mechanical Engineering
- Operations Research
Lisa O'Neill: By appointment
For students completing a thesis or dissertation, the Fall deadline to submit the final approved version of your paper is December 2, 2013.
Planning to graduate in 2014?
The application to graduate will open on October 15, 2013. Log into your MyNEU account to submit the application as soon as possible and contact us if your graduation date is incorrect.
Student Services now has a Facebook page to help you stay informed of upcoming deadlines, important dates and other relevant information. Like us here! You can also follow us on Twitter @GSEStudentSrvc.
Lastly, the GSE office has installed a mailbox in the 130 Snell Hallway. The mailbox can be used after-hours to drop off completed forms such as Petitions, Registration Override Requests, ISSI Forms or other documents requested or needed by our office.
Settle in and read on!
|New Online Appointment Scheduling
Student Services is expanding their office hours making it easier for you to come in when it is convenient for you! In addition to our regular walk-in office hours which will remain Monday - Friday 2pm-4pm, you can now schedule an appointment at select times via your MyNEU account.
- Log onto MyNEU Account
- Go to Self-Service Tab
- Click Appointment Calendar under Advising Resources
- Under Find a Calendar, select College of Engineering for Group and Graduate School Advising for Affiliation
- Select name of advisor you wish to meet with to view their calendar
- Click Request an Appointment on the time slot you wish to meet them
Appointments slots will be available up to 3 weeks ahead of time.
10/23/2013: Presentatino Skills Workshop sponsored by GWISE and open to all graduate students. Meet at 1:30pm in 333 CSC
10/11/2013: GEB (Graduate Engineering Bridges) meeting. On the agenda: Departments representatives elections and the upcoming BBQ and hiking trip. Mett at 6pm in 312 Ell Hall.
A word from GWISE
GWISE (Graduate Women In Science and Engineering) is designed to assist in the professional and personal advancement of women in science and engineering at Northeastern University. GWISE strives to provide women with the support and resources necessary to be successful, as well as to create a sense of community. To achieve this, GWISE will sponsor events covering a wide variety of topics including networking, career options, resume polishing, balancing work and personal life, and other issues affecting women in the sciences. The nature of our group is both academic and social. We are growing our network of academic and industry professionals so that our events may be beneficial to all members. GWISE is open to ALL graduate students at Northeastern. You can join us on Orgsync, by email firstname.lastname@example.org, or find us on Facebook.
Registration and Useful Forms
The Spring 2014 Schedule will be available on Banner on October 28, 2013 and Fall Registration for continuing students opens on November 18, 2013. Course registration takes place online via your MyNEU account. Program planning and class choices should be discussed with and approved by your academic advisor. We encourage you to be in regular contact with your advisor. Building a relationship with your advisor early on will help ensure you stay on track in your program and help your advisor better mentor and advise you.
Below are further resources to help you complete the registration process. Please be sure to provide all relevant information to ensure timely processing by our office. A member of the Student Services team will be in touch with you regarding your request withing 3 business days of submitting a complete form.
Override Registration Request Form
Use this form for any registration issues you encounter. Please collect all required signatures before returning the form to the GSE office in 130 Snell. Further instructions are available here.
We invite you to use the updated version of the GSE petition form found here. Please fill out all appropriate fields and collect the needed signatures, including your own, before submitting the petition to the front desk of 130 Snell or for all ECE students bringing it to Faith Crisley for further processing.
Lastly, a reminder about our online courses policy.
Video-stream courses are open to part-time students only.
Online or Hybrid courses are open to all students.
International students interested in registering for either options must contact ISSI first to discuss eligibility.
Funding and Professional Opportunities
- Presidential Management Fellowship - an entry level opportunity for advanced degree candidate. More information available here. Application deadline is October 15, 2013.
- Dissertation Completion Fellowship - available to students in their last term and completing a dissertation. Information available here. Application deadline is November 1, 2013.
- The Graduate Student Government offers limited funding for conferences, competitions and activity travels. For more information and to apply click here.
- 2014 DHS Secretary's Honors Program for Recent Graduates - The Department of Homeland Security Secretary's Honors Program (SHP) is now accepting applications for the following fellowships: Information Technology, Policy, Management and Emergency Management. Application dates vary among fellowships. For more information, and to apply, go to www.dhs.gov/secretarys-honors-program.
You can find additional funding opportunities on our fellowship Webpage.
The Career Services Office offers a wide variety of amazing resources to help you better prepare for internship and job search.
Resources targeted towards Graduate Students are detailed here. You will find resources and support for Academic or Industry jobs as well as Post-doc positions ranging from resumé building and interview skills to networking.
International students will find resources targeted to their needs here. Visit the Career Services offices and learn how to build a resumé targeted for the American job market.
Find out about career and internship fairs taking place this term here.
There are many more resources available to you, don't hesitate to take advantage of them to better prepare for the job market and make the most of your NEU experience. Visit the Career Services Website for more information.
Happening in Boston
Done with your assigned reading and lab homework? Ready to enjoy Boston's vibrant cultural and social environment? Below a are a few ideas to get you started on planning your weekends!
Free (or almost free) activities
A few ideas
Go apple and pumpkin picking in New England or find your way out of a corn maze
- Drive the Kangamangus Highway through the White Mountains (and try to say that three times as fast as you can!) to enjoy the foliage landscape or hike Mount Monadnok for a colorful dose of fresh air.
Hunt down the 70+ decorated Piano housed all over Boston until October 14, 2013. Celebrity Serires
- Walk through the Lucy Forest Light along the Charles river. Over 10,000 solar LED lights brighten your path through October 14, 2013
We all need a little help sometimes! Below are some suggestions we hope will help you find where and who to turn to. Never hesitate to reach out to us with your questions. We will do our best to direct you in the appropriate direction.
Spring time is making you want to move? Contact the Off-Campus Student Services office for advice and resources to help you find the perfect place.
New in the country and looking to improve your written and spokenEnglish skills? Visit the Global Student Success Website and sign up for a variety of workshops and tutoring open to all NEU students.
Writing your thesis, dissertation or a mid-term paper? The library offers in-person or online support to help you deliver a stellar paper.
Drop by the Northeastern University Career Services Center. They offer a wide selection of workshops designed specifically for graduate and/or international students to help you be successful in your professional career. Or make a one-on-one appointment to discuss your specific needs.
Feeling blue and not sure who to talk to? Want to talk to a professional about something that is on your mind? Contact University Health and Counseling Services with your questions and they will direct you to the right person.
Are you experiencing challenges outside the classroom that are affecting your academic performance? Reach out to We Care for support and customized solutions.
The International Student and Scholar Institute (ISSI) offers many resources to international students and organizes multicultural event throughout the academic year.
As you exercise your brain, remember to exercise your body too! Campus Recreation is your fitness answer.
The Center for Spirituality, Dialogue and Service offers a safe environment for the soul.
Graduate Student Life Website
full of resource just for graduate students!
- 10/14/13: Columbus Day, NEU holiday. GSE Office closed
- 10/15/2013: Application to graduate opens via MyNEU
- 11/11/13: Veteran's Day, NEU holiday. GSE office closed
- 11/18/13: Spring registration opens for continuing students
- 11/19/13: Last day to drop a course with a "W" grade
- 11/27/13-12/1/13: Thanksgiving break. GSE office closed
- 12/7/13: Thesis Dissertation submission deadline to GSE office
- 12/07/13: Last day of Fall 2013 classes
- 12/9/13-12/14/13: Final exams
- 12/17/13: Grades posted on MyNEU