The goals of the Stage 2 changes are to:
Increase health information exchange between providers to:
* Improve coordination of care
* Reduce medical errors
* Eliminate duplication of tests and screening
Increase health information exchange between providers by:
* Providing access and means to view,
download, and transmit their heath information
* Sending preventative and follow-up
* Providing opportunities for electronic
communication with the provider
Some of the things you can do now to prepare include:
Communicate with your EHR Vendor
* When will they be ready for Stage 2?
* What additional costs may be involved?
* Is additional training and support needed?
* What support and documentation are provided to
demonstrate compliance with enhanced Stage 2
Patient Portal is key to Stage 2
* Collect patient e-mail addresses along with
* Set up patient portal
* Push clinical summaries and patient education
to the patient portal
* Promote the portal to your patients
Lab - think "In and Out"
* Orders in
* Results to EHR and managed through the EHR
* If not interfaced with labs, work toward this in
Radiology/Imaging - think "In and Out"
* Orders in
* Communicate with imaging providers about
Transitions of Care
* Core measure for Stage 2
* How does your EHR recognize a transition of care
Clinical Decision Support
* Increased from one to five
* Review PQRS measures relevant to your practice
* Activate CDS rules to align with quality measure