Cowen Service Challenge Update
|This challenge aims to encourage students, alumni, faculty, staff and friends of Tulane to celebrate President Cowen's legacy of supporting healthy and vibrant communities through direct community service. By May 2, 2014, we will complete 750,000 hours of service in New Orleans and around the world.|
Thanksgiving Community Service Ideas
|This time of year is about being grateful for what we have and giving back to our community by helping those in need. Here are some great service ideas for the Thanksgiving season: |
1. Coat Drives: Many school and places of worship collect coats and cold weather gear this time of year. Burlington Coat Factory also has a national coat drive from November to January.
2. Food Drives: Like cold weather clothing, many organizations collect food for those in need around Thanksgiving. Check your local community for food pantries and other collection points like grocery stores or schools.
3. Serving Meals: Many areas host community Thanksgiving dinners. Check with your local United Way or Salvation Army for opportunities in your area.
4. Sponsor a Family: Organizations like Family-to-Family pair donors with families in need to provide monthly boxes of groceries.
5. Support our Troops: Let our troops know how grateful you are for their service.Create and send a care package at Anysoldier.com.
What is considered community service?
The possibilities for volunteering and community service are endless. Some examples may include:
Volunteering with a non-profit agency
Supporting your neighborhood association
Attending community meetings
Working at your place of worship
Building or maintaining a community garden
Organizing or working at a community event
Coaching a sports team
Coordinating community clean-ups
Planning a community fundraiser
Volunteering at local schools
Creating community art spaces
Providing pro bono professional services or workshops
Serving on the PTA or a non-profit board of directors
Canvassing and surveying neighborhoods
Registering people to vote
Walking or running in an awareness run